Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart must answer one question for the Georgia offense: Is JT Daniels even an option anymore?

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart must answer one question for the Georgia offense: Is JT Daniels even an option anymore?

ATHENS — The Georgia quarterback situation has come under scrutiny once again in the wake of Stetson Bennett’s struggles in a 41-24 loss to Alabama in the SEC title game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m saying JT is likely still hurt or hasn’t been cleared fully from his own physician. I don’t see why letting this be known publicly would hurt Georgia. If anything I believe it would unify us.

im not saying jt would have saved us in the seccg, but I do believe his football iq is much higher than Bennett and that’s what we need.

smarter decisions with the ball

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Mike,

Your headlines states, “Kirby MUST answer QB questions….” . Sorry pal, but he doesn’t owe any of that information to us Dawg fans or to Michigan, Cincinnati and Bama. He especially doesn’t need to explain what is going on if it’s a personal and/or health issue. So I respectfully disagree that Kirby “must” tell us everything…..eventhough we all want to know. Go Dawgs!!!

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, IF JT was never able to go, I'm saying that either Beck or Brock would have delivered wins against every opponent, understanding that they would develop as the season progressed . . . to the point that either one of them would be far, far better than SBIV is now. Thus, heading into the playoff with (likely) a higher caliber QB AND depth.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

So there is a report going around that early in the year, JT was cleared by Ron to play, but JT's parents flew their own doctor in and he said JT wasn't cleared and they decided not to have JT play and called Coach Smart a dumb coach. I've seen this story on college football wire and they got the story from someone inside the program close to the situation. Could just be a rumor, but we have to admit, there is something more going on with JT not playing!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Am not sure why this article was even incubated, Mike. It is more than obvious who the starting QB is and will be Dec. 31. That issue has been settled with Coach Smart, for reason(s) known only to him and the under-coaches. We have questions, but Kirby does not.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s interesting how MG “cherry-picks” stats to tear down Bennett’s credibility and build-up JT’s. Several examples: It was mentioned that Bennett had 28% third down conversions yet MG ignored that JT had 9% (1 for 11) against Cincinnati. Had JT converted 27% of those conversions we would have possibly won by several TDs and the game wouldn’t have hinged on a last second drive and a Peach Bowl record field goal (special thanks to Podlesny for not putting that game in the “loss” column for JT and the Dawgs). Yes indeed Bennett only scored 24 points and passed for 340 yards against #1 Bama (3 TD passes and 2 INTs), but MG conveniently fails to mention that JT against the only ranked teams he has faced (#9 Cincinnati and #19 Clemson) led our offense to 25 points total in 2 games. That included only 2 TDs (1 passing TD and 2 INTs). We only scored 3 offensive points against #19 Clemson which is amazingly terrible….yet some folks say it’s because he was playing injured. Where was all this sympathy last year when Stetson spotted us a 14 point lead against Florida before dislocating his shoulder? There was no pity or excuses for the Mailman who toughed it out and attempted to finish that game while in excruciating pain. PLEASE understand, I’m not saying Bennett is better than JT, I’m just saying let’s quit cherry-picking the facts to make a point because we can easily do that for both players.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's face it guys, we won't win any more games unless #1 the defense shows up, #2 the O-line gives whoever QB's time to throw and #3 we won't win the NC with SB. He's good enough to beat Michigan if # 1 & #2 above happen, but anyone thinking he's beating BAMA, well, what can you say? You've bought into some swampland in south GA.

A former walk-on and a guy that's not even going to be drafted(let that sink in), is going to win you the NC? That's what you believe? And when has that ever happened before? Never! But I suppose there's always a first time. "So you're saying there's a chance."

Before you vote down, that is what every media analyst has said that I've heard the past few days. I love this team as much as anyone of you, I have said this from the off-season. THat SB could run the table except for BAMA. We all knew in our heart of hearts that he wasn't going to beat BAMA! Who does that with a former walk-on that isn't ever going to set foot in the League?

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll tell you this much. I'm ready for both Bennett and Daniels to move on after this season. We need new blood at QB, and we've got a stellar dual threat Vandagriff in the wings.

" Does Georgia stick with Bennett and count on the run game and defense to step up in a big way? "

That game plan might work against Michigan. McNamara has gotten to be a better passer, but Blue still relies on their running game. If our defense plays like they should, then I don't see us getting into a shootout with McNamara. If we beat Michigan and play either Cincy or Bama we will probably end up in a shootout. Not good.

• osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's not so much that Kirby has to answer to the fans. We're not owed anything. It is a question that needs answering for the team, though. The idea is more rhetorical, I think. It's nothing new, though. "Here's something Kirby MUST think about." Well... yeah.

• My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 379 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just like Todd Monken is his only QB's coach, I guess they didnt fly in his personal QB coach either...give me a break! Just because you have heard of it doesnt mean it isn't true. Nobody believed you when you reported first that Bennett was getting the start over a supposed healthy JT and Beck, but he did. Just saying!

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The nonsense argument about Daniels' performance against Cincinnati is silly because it discounts one very important thing: Cincinnati was a better team than anyone Bennett face this year other than Alabama, who beat the snot out out his game.

I would also argue that Beck or Vandagriff would have beaten the scrubs we played. Bennett was third string ONLY because Vandagriff was already slated to redshirt. If not, Bennett would have been fourth string.

How anyone can prefer to start Bennett over Daniels is just dumbfounding. A quarterback is there to throw, not run. That is why you have what are supposed to be "elite" running backs. I'll take the passer every time over the runner. So will the guy that beat us silly last Saturday.