Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football to offer players booster shots before holiday break amid COVID surge

13»

Comments

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2021

Let me start by saying that I do have medical training. I am a veterinarian ( UGA '76 ), and we are trained in immunology and specifically what is called "herd health", dealing with larger populations of patients. I also promise to do my best not to be political in this.

First, this is reported as a positive test, not necessarily a positive case of Covid. The media has portrayed positive tests as positive cases, though they are NOT the same thing. There have been false positives ( like Matt Stafford ) and I am sure that there have been false negatives. It is very hard to find data on the efficacy of the tests, specifically sensitivity ( false negatives ) and specificity ( false positives ). You cannot evaluate test results adequately without those numbers, and for some reason, that data is not readily available.

Secondly, the available vaccines for Covid do NOT prevent you from contracting or spreading the disease, though it is reported that they may "reduce" the severity of the disease. The CDC actually changed their definition of a vaccine to eliminate "immunity" from the definition. It appears this change was to allow the Covid "vaccines" to be covered by the definition. Because they did not make recipients immune to the disease, they technically did not meet the original definition of a vaccine.

And, Georgia is rapidly being "invaded" by the Omicron variant, which is more virulent ( contagious ), but apparently much milder in symptoms caused ( some have described it as a bad "cold" ). And this variant does not seem to care if you have been vaccinated. I have heard that in some areas 75% of "new" cases in Georgia are Omicron, but have not seen raw data on that, so that number may not be true.

Mainstream media and social media sites have actively suppressed information on this disease and the vaccines for it, as well as any information on alternative treatments for individuals with the disease. In this forum, I will not speculate on why this has happened. I do know that we have very little, if any, information on adverse vaccine reactions. This makes it difficult for anyone to make an intelligent decision about the risks of the disease versus the risks of the vaccination. And, there are risks with any vaccination, though those risks are very low with "traditional" vaccines ( that have very long trials required before being approved ). We don't know with this new technology. I do know that this technology has been tried in animals, and never has been successful due to an unacceptable level of adverse reactions when testing mRNA vaccines in animals.

I wish that there was a truly safe vaccine for this virus ( in all it's variants ) that would truly immunize the recipient. I also wish there were behavior protocols that would fully protect, but there aren't. Masks, especially cloth or "surgical" masks, don't work. We need to not criticize those who contract the virus. It is possible that they did everything "right" ( according to the "expert recommendations" ), and still contracted the disease. And vaccinated individuals are just as likely to spread the disease as unvaccinated individuals. Maybe vaccinated people are more likely to be inadvertent "spreaders" because if it is true that having the vaccination lessens the symptoms, they may not know that they could be spreading the virus if they are asymptomatic. Before we had the vaccines, there were people who contracted Covid and never had obvious symptoms. Lighten up, folks!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

@Big Mike, I saw where the discussion was closed after your last post on MG’s most recent article. I don’t know if it was all the vaccine dialog, the “off topic” flags or maybe he was just fearful we would speak the truth and say something positive about the “Mailman”. BTW, I enjoyed reading about Sister Elizabeth Kenny per your recommendation before you were censored. Wow, what a great lady. Oh well, go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigMike at times you are just too funny. My comment related to Daniels the person. I am sure he is disappointed in how this turned out. I frankly don’t care what he does as I never thought him to be the quarterback that so many believed him to be.

As to having a talented quarterback room, based on recruiting profiles that is a true statement. If both Daniels and Bennett decide to move on that would mean starting a first year quarterback with little or no game experience given the way Kirby decided to manage late game situations this year.

I guess one could hope for the second coming of Fromm based on actual on field performance but that might be being too wishful.

it is possible 2022 could be a rebuilding year the offense.

• Options

I for one believes Daniels should move on. At this point he has very little tape to be evaluated on. He also needs to overcome the impression that he is injury prone.

it would appear the direction the offense is taking Bennett and Brock or the better options than Daniels and Beck and of course Gunner will factor in somewhere.

Frankly I would be more concerned with Brock transferring than Daniels.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

1st Question: Let's say that JT clears the Covid protocol in time to get in on a few practices before the game. If SB has an injury ( let's say it is only enough to keep him out for one or two series ), who comes off the bench to replace him? Same question if JT doesn't clear Covid protocol?

2nd Question: How much did JB ( at 2019 LSU ) benefit from Steve Ensminger's addition to the staff? Or, was it Brady?

Which leads to my final question....why would a quality QB who has put in a year or two learning from a very good coordinator decide to leave and essentially start over in another system? I think that the consensus is that SB is a good ( but not great ) QB, that could even be good enough to win a natty. I am sure that SB would not be as good as he is ( whatever level you think that is ) without Monken or another very good offensive coordinator who uses similar high level passing game concepts. If I had the talent ( I don't ), and was in that situation, I would have to really have confidence in the OC at my possible transfer destination. You only need a single great year to "sell" your worth to the NFL ( see 2019 LSU's Joe Burrow ). I would also have to have great confidence in the recruiting level of my possible transfer destination before I left because my game will affected greatly by the players around me. For me, improving my game and learning how to "play" QB would make "waiting for my time" easy. Unfortunately, things are complicated by the extra year granted because of Covid.

• Options

Read recently there are 125 quarterbacks in the transfer portal. This includes everyone from Rattler to walk ons

• Options

That so many quarterbacks are transferring is really no surprise given the transfer portal and being able to play immediately. Many of these players have an out sized egos and many do not want to wait their turn. They want to play now.

Recruiting for this position has become even more of a challenge. Just look at the UGA quarterback room. There is Bennett the starter. Daniels a 5* who has not played much and the same can be said about Brock. To this another 5* has been added Gunner and of course the forgotten man Beck.

A truly outstanding quarterback will only be in a program for 3 years before he is off to the NFL.

A HC and OC are faced with starting a quarterback with limited playing experience in either a two or three year cycle.

it is quite possible that Beck, Daniels, and Brock hit the portal. That would leave Bennett and Gunner. If you think of it as the junior is the starter, the freshman is the future, who is a serviceable backup. In the case of UGA, it could be Brock but what happens the next year between Gunner and Brock.

This is not a unique situation that Kirby faces but ever HC.

• Options

I for one still believe me quarterback position to be a critical position to recruit. A truly outstanding quarterback is only going to be in college for 3 years before he declares for the draft. I fully realize there are exceptions to this.

kirby has gone to the portal twice for a quarterback. One was a definite miss in Newman and the jury is still out on Daniels.

If one is to follow BigMike’s philosophy, about getting mature trained quarterbacks from the portal, and I am sure some programs will, then Saban’s statement about limiting opportunities for high school players would seem to be accurate. This will not impact the 5* and 4* quarterbacks as much as it will the high school seniors and 3* players.

if one looks at recruiting classes, every school includes at lease one quarterback. Next year in the SEC it is possible that half the starting quarterbacks will be from the portal