Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia QB Stetson Bennett arrives in Miami relaxed, ready for beach trip and big game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia QB Stetson Bennett arrives in Miami relaxed, ready for beach trip and big game

MIAMI, Fla. — Big games are nothing new to Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett, and the former walk-on exhibited that in his arrival interview.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Not the time to think about the beach. I have always gotten a Tony Romo vibe from SBIV. Have you people actually watched any MI games? I recently watched 3 [OSU (W), IA (W), MSU (L)]. Here's what I saw. OFFENSE: NOT 1 dimensional offensively. Lots of misdirection and explosive pass and run plays. Joe Moore award winning OL, MI runs the ball (BIG holes, breakaway runs) like UGA fans wanted to see UGA run the ball. 2 very good RB's. MI QB is mobile, decisive and accurate. I saw all the UGA games this year but 1 (no ESPN+) and MI QB was better than all but the BAMA QB. Zips the ball to receivers on target. MI plays 2 TE's. Both good receivers. Offense looked in sync and well coached (surprised to say about Harbaugh). In fact MI O looked like the best O I have seen this year considering Bama's inconsistency. MI DEFENSE: 2 NFL 1st rd DE's bring pressure consistently. Bend but don't break D (sometimes they play a little soft and give up some yards). BUT very sticky DB's. MI CB's were consistently VERY close to the WR's often taking perfect passes for completions. Watched 3 games and don't recall many (any?) penalties at all on MI. Considering Bama's inconsistency and UGA's inconsistent QB play this year, MI actually looked like the best team I saw this year. Will be a Dawgfight. Better bring "A" game. For you conspiracy theorists, do you think CFB/NCAA wants an ALL SEC championship game? Watch the ref's.

MI loss to MSU. Fumbled in their own territory w/7 mins to go and lost by 4 pts. to best RB in CFB having a superstar game. 208 total yards 5 TD's. MI plays 2 QB's (including a freshman) imagine that? 

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think it’s far more likely that JT did not test positive, but was asked to stay home to avoid distraction. As soon as the season ends, he will enter the portal. I commend him for taking one for the team.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can only go as far as your QB can take you. I don't know what happened between JT and his family and CKS but a healthy JT is better than SB. I watched most of JT''s HS highlights while at Mater Dei and the kid was as good as it gets coming out of HS. You don't go start at USC as an 18 year old on a fluke. Not to take anything away from SB but JT came in and in 2 of his first 4 games at UGA threw for right at 800 yards combined. You have to go back to Aaron Murray's 3rd year as a starter to find any numbers approaching those 2 games. JT rolled in off the practice squad and started lighting it up. KS saw enough that in the off season he declared JT the starter. THen the injury, SB performed well and then the crap hit the fan somewhere along the way. NOw the question is does KS have some kind of vendetta where it's not even about who the best QB is any more? Something stinks here. JMHO, you're welcome to yours.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The good thing is we've had about 3 weeks of really good rat poison. No more pats on the back and talk about how good our defense is. We finally got punched in the mouth and didn't respond. Now we have to get up off the floor and either fight back or get knocked out again .As far as the quarterback position its too late to do anything about it now. I never really understood the situation with JT and how he could be benched even after he was declared healthy but it doesn't even matter now. We're either going to win with what we got or the 40 plus year streak will continue those are the facts. The world is watching beat Michigan and get another shot at glory.

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope Bennett learned from the last game that he needs to distribute the ball around and don't be to locked in on Bowers. The OC have to get Washington involved in the red zone. The kid is 6'7"...Who can check him at the height and the size he has.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lots of yummy rat poison on the Michigan and Bama fan forums… hoping that spreads to their teams! 😬

• Options
    NJEricNJEric Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2021

I'm confident our defense will show up and have a great game or two. As for offense, I confess to a hope that somehow it works out that JT or even BV gets significant QB time. I just don't see any evidence that SB can play effectively at the level we will need the next 2 games. The Alabama game showed the downside on both sides of the ball for the Dawgs. The defense was probably a one time error. The offense, with SB at the helm, based on the prior 2 years when in top competition, was an every time error.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This just isn’t true at all. SBIV had a number of impressive plays against Bama. He failed, as he has historically, by throwing into strong coverage several times after the defense collasped and gave Bama a 2+ score lead. So many bad things happened during the Bama game - blown coverages, failure to bring a solid pass rush, receivers failing to gain separation, conservative schemes on defense, etc. It was a team loss.

I do agree that Bennett is not the guy to lift the Dawgs over a deficient performance (both players and coaching) overall, but he is a guy who you can count on for a solid performance if most other things are delivered to standard.

I like our chances of winning the Natty! 😉

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's hope that the team is coached up like it was a few years ago against Auburn. I hope we win. I'll never understand why Kirby plays Stetson when we have the receivers we have, and how it would open up the field for the great running backs we have.

I wonder if we'll ever be able to nrecruit a five start quarterback again.

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m glad Stetson is confident, but his confidence isn’t the issue. I am concerned that there are no elite qualities about his play that really threatens a defense. He is somewhat mobile but, that’s not elite. He doesn’t have a powerful arm to threaten the backend of a defense. His decision making is far from elite in that he puts the ball in harms way several times a game. UGA needs elite play from it’s QB, but Stetson is not equipped to provide that.

Michigan has a much better defense than Bama has and they completely stifle Stetson and the UGA offense. In fact, Michigans defense should attack the UGA offense by stacking the box and take away the Georgia run game & short passing game. They should force Stetson to beat them with his arm. Bama certainly exposed Stetson as he was awful in the red-zone, went 3 and out several times in a row, and threw two interceptions to include a pick-6.

I want to see UGA defeat Michigan, but to do so it will be because of their defense and in spite of the deficiency at quarterback.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

BigMike. Good research and info. I have 2 issues with what you wrote. 1) 24 pts is not enough to win against playoff caliber teams. UGA's D was exposed for deficient pass coverage. UGA didnt play a decent passing QB all year until Bama. UGA got pressure all year by blitzing LB's that covered up a RFr CB and lack of depth. CKS should've gone man to man the whole game. I don't think the zone could have been any worse than it was. 2) the difference between SBIV and JTD is that Bennett is a 1 read, scramble and throw the ball up QB. That has been his MO for 2 years. JTD knows where all his receivers are and which one to throw to BEFORE the snap. 1 read and put the ball in harms way does not win championships. Not sure UGA wins w/JTD but we have seen SBIV's ceiling and it won't beat AL.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

The CDC has shortened the quarantine time from 10 days to 5. Hopefully that gets JT in the game Friday night.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

@BigMike Have you ever considered posting on the "Big Boys" forum? Pretty sure you would like it much more.