Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jimbo and James and the championship game

124»

Comments

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

I found this chart. I started to break down the average per player, but the math hurt my head. I think I had Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State as a top 5. California had Rogers and Goff blowing the curve, so I didn’t average them. QBs in general inflated the average. Stanford still makes $$$, but he’s moving down the highest paid list at this point.

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure I trust that chart. According to it Bama players average $16M, UGA $17M. I assume that is their total contract, not actual salaries.

I think the biggest number that jumped out at me is the number of active players. UGA is pretty far behind. Even fla and ND have more active players.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Last graphic I saw of UGA was in the lead for annual NFL earnings. But it was largely because of Stafford's huge contract. But UGA is always up towards the top either way.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think he was rooting for offense. He said positive things about UGA too when we had the ball. Since he's an offensive minded coach it made sense to me.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I see this thread quickly tangented off into the NIL stuff. Plenty of other threads about that so I won't bring that back up.

As far as this telecast went, I actually really enjoyed it. I think they could clean the format up. Just have 1 or 2 coaches watching and commenting at a time so you can understand them. Get someone other than micro machine Jimbo... so you can understand them. Get a host to help out with some of the translation of all the football jargon... so you can understand them.

I also didn't like the screen format being so divided up. It made it difficult to see and I watched it on a fairly big screen too.

But otherwise I love the premise of seeing how they think and what they go through watching a game through a coaches eyes. I've always said I'd love to just sit down with Richt, Spurrier, whoever and watch a random football game.

• Options

I like the idea too. But Jimbo just used it to chew up screen time with his hayseed shtick. Plus he had his own tv and remote so he could rewind. It’s hard to break down a game as it’s being played I would think. But the idea of 3 head coaches doing it is a great one. 3 high profile names. I don’t like Brian Kelly based on media interaction, but I bet he can spot things immediately and use a telestrator to explain (articulately) what cloud coverage is. I saw a show with Will Muschamp getting into film breakdown and could easily see why he landed those head coaching jobs. The guy has big football brains.

• Options

Watching coaches watch a live game is kind of pointless. I didn't find it particularly informative. It's just their peanut-gallery chatter.

• Options

I watched it because I’ve never heard James Coley say a word. Kirby does the one voice approach. I was underwhelmed and he was a ****-up.

I watched it because I’ve known of Jimbo Fisher only from reputation. I didn’t expect to be enlightened, but he came up far short of being remotely prepared, and not even very likeable.

I watched it because I wanted to see what another SEC staff thought about Georgia. The other staff besides Jimbo often expressed admiration for the players’ talent level individually and the way they play together. Gave proper respect for the team in victory

And last I watched because I’m soaking up pretty much anything to savor this for as long as possible.

• Options

Would you watch again if it wasn't a UGA game? I got through about 5 minutes of it and gave up.

• Options
    edited February 2022

No. But I also watch MAYBE 2-3 other college football games other than the Dawgs in a season. And usually that’s when the score is close in the second half. Like this year’s Iron Bowl.

I used to watch every Falcons game, but ya know…

When I created the discussion I was interested what others thought about Jimbo Fisher and James Coley. Not the show itself. I agree the concept doesn’t work great in real time. I was fast forwarding through a lot of it.

• Options

I couldn't take Jimbo's squeaky voice. He just rubs me the wrong way.