Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jimbo and James and the championship game

Comments

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just saying that a lot of elite players felt that other programs were either equal to or better than UGA for their development. UGA really isn't much different than any of the other major programs out there for player development.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How do you know UGA is offering significantly less? Don’t know why some of you think that. I guarantee you they are offering competitive deals for players they want.

• Options

You might want to check Kirby and staff’s development record. Only Saban is better. And if UGA can get a little better QB and WR play no one will have better development in college football.

• Options

I'm just going off of what Kirby said about how he's not interested in using huge NIL contracts as a recruiting tool. I assume that means he's not going to get into a NIL bidding war with another program.

• Options

UGA and Bama are also starting out with the most developed players right out of HS. #1 and #2 in team talent. Better ingredients, better pizza. But they do not have a monopoly on great coaching and development of players.

• Options

Where did he say he’s “not interested in huge NIL deals?” He just mentioned it’s different now, and that you have to recruit guys that aren’t only about NIL. AKA recruit high character guys. High character guys can still make a lot of NIL $$ at UGA.

• Options

And who gets those guys to come to their school? Kirby and Saban, can’t knock them for recruiting these guys. Did Richt get this level of talent walking through the door (since it’s that easy to get “better ingredients” for your pizza)?

And I didn’t say they have a monopoly, just that they are better at it than everyone else. Check the numbers and you’ll see. Kirby is the best 3 star developer there is, there was an article about a year ago breaking down how well he does developing 3, 4 and 5 stars.

• Options
    WebslingrWebslingr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here's what feels s.ucky about this to me right now.

We all know recruiting is one of CKS strengths...he's an absolute killer. And the current staff we have is likely the best in the country...particularly targeting southern boys. But that recruiting strength eval is based on the 'old paradigm'...mainly outworking your opponents on the trail and building relationships.

Rather suddenly, the game has now changed. How will CKS and staff recruit under the 'new paradigm'? Hopefully great...but we don't really know, do we. That's the part that feels s.ucky to me. UGA finally gets that Natty and looks to have a program (recruiting, development, facilities) in place to dominate for the forseeable future...and BAM...let's change all the rules. I'm not intimating a conspiracy here... just saying it kinda feels s.ucky right now, that's all.

All that being said, Go DAWGS !!! 2022 National Champs !!!

• Options
    WebslingrWebslingr Posts: 184 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The more guys get drafted in the first two rounds, the more minds will change about development. We just don’t get a lot of skill players high on draft boards. Bama’s offense is why they’ve had a bunch of first round picks.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022
  • Options

Whatever Jimbo just did, that will be the new recruiting ballgame. Did they really spend $30M on NIL or is Jimbo just a fantastic recruiter? Don't know, but it seems like a lot of top level coaches are not excited about whatever it was TAMU pulled off behind the scenes. Clearly they did something different. I am sure behind closed doors everyone on staff knows exactly what happened. It doesn't sound like TAMU did anything illegal, or unethical. They took advantage of a new situation and everyone else was slow to react. The 2023 recruiting cycle could be a nuclear arms race as the former power brokers will be forced to adapt to the evolving situation. Coaches can say they aren't interested in guys who are just shopping for the biggest NIL deal...but ultimately, that is a plan that will likely result in subpar classes... and the teams willing to pay the big bucks will ultimately stockpile the best talent.

Like it or not, NIL will be a primary motivator for a lot, if not most, elite players. How can it not? Team spirit and coaching relationships are great, but money talks. The #1 recruit in the nation is going to an FCS team. That didn't happen because JSU has incredible coaches and a track record of player development. If a coach wants the best players, he's probably going to have to pay for them from now on.

The kids in this class didn't grow up worrying about NIL deals. But the kids in the 2023, 24, 25, 26....classes will. Dollar signs will be in their eyes as soon as they start getting attention from scouts. Team reps and boosters will start blowing up their cell phones with promises of big money as early as 9th grade. There is nothing to stop it.

We are entering the age of professional college football (and basketball). The NCAA will have to implement a number of NFL-style rules in order to maintain balance and fair play among it's member institutions. The next couple of seasons are going to be wild as this evolves and programs adapt. There seems to be a lot of reluctance to just jump in head first like TAMU did.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe you are over projecting the impact of NIL (I hope I turn out to be correct on this), but it is having, and will continue to have, an impact on recruiting. However, I project that the impact will spike over the next few years, then subside. My hope is that Kirby and his staff find the sweet spot between NIL and substance. Putting 13 to 15 players in the NFL this year should help offset some of the impact of NIL for Georgia.

• Options

I agree. I'm looking at it from a business perspective. In a competitive environment, if one company has a breakthrough and starts dominating the market, everyone else is forced to evolve and follow or else get left behind. If NIL is left unchanged, I just don't see how it doesn't become a prime factor in recruiting. Think about wherever you work right now....if a competitor called you and offered you the same job but for $50,000 more per year, I think they would have your full attention and it would be hard to turn down. Even if you love your current company...money talks.

Putting a bunch of players into the NFL is great....but there are lots of schools that do that. UGA isn't unique. I don't think UGA offers a more reliable path to the NFL than any other top team. I'm pretty confident that our guys in the draft this year would probably have been in the same position if they had gone to Bama or Clemson or TAMU or OSU.... it's the whole better ingredients, better pizza theory. These teams are starting out with elite players expected to be high draft picks no matter where they go to school. It's not surprising to see them in the draft.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From a business perspective, don’t pros from UGA make more $$$ than most schools? I’ve seen those types of comparisons over the years.