Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Arch Manning: ‘They loved it’ was the report from the Manning family after their latest UGA visit

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageArch Manning: ‘They loved it’ was the report from the Manning family after their latest UGA visit

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s the Intel. This entry is about Arch Manning’s most recent visit to the University of Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Archie was ahead of his time with his mobility at the QB position. Peyton and Eli? Not so much. I hope Arch inherited Archie's mobility and not P & E's.

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like a great kid who is well grounded. I certainly hope he Commits to the G. But no matter where he goes I'm confident he will be great.

• zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2022

@UGADad20

Sure. Peyton and Eli won 2 super bowls each and have 20 Pro Bowls between them. But leave it to you to get a dig in. Insecure much?

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At this point, I'm looking for stability in the QB position. I realize that you can't really tell how good someone is going to be from high school, but if a QB matches his "hype" then he should have a complete career at UGA. The media may love Bennett and he's a great guy and an excellent college-level QB, but his path of walk-on to transfer out to transfer in to 3rd string to starter was just chaotic. JT did amazing and exactly was as advertised and now he has no choice but to transfer. We all saw what Fields could do and clearly he saw things he didn't like in the program. Newman didn't even make it to Day #1.

If Manning is going to be "your guy" and you get him to sign then give him the chance to play. Of course, understand how that will make Vandagriff and Stockton feel and be prepared to deal with the consequences. Find who you want and be upfront about that.

In the meantime, realize that we can't have star QBs and not have deep WRs for them to throw to.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When UGA becomes known as a school that likes to "sling the ball around a bit" . THen the better receivers will flock here. Maybe if Arch goes ahead and picks a school, say UGA , then the better receivers will want to come and join him. BUt as of right this second, UGA is a school that only throws on average of 20 times per game per SB's average last year. Not only that if you get up on a decent team early, then CKS likes to shut down the air attack down at around the 7:00 minute mark in the 3rd quarter and run 90% the rest of the way . In other words forget some easy TD throws late in the game when the opposition's will is broken and they can't stop you.

THems the facts.

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with Kirkhilles, and I don't think Manning will come to Athens because of Kirby's track record with highly rated quarterbacks. I also believe Bennett's lower level arm strength has caused WRs to leave or not come to Athens. I don't think Fields had a fair chance to beat out Fromm, and we still don't know why Daniels did not play. I am also concerned that the current QBs will not get the chance to beat out Bennet. There was a clear message about Bennett's arm strength sent by George Pickens when he had Carson Beck throwing to him at Pro Day. Kirby should be getting a clear message too that his best Quarterback talent is seating on the bench. I am delighted that Kirby is in Athens, but he needs a quarterback coach who can take the lead in developing young talent

I suppose if we had lost the NC game then we could all second guess Kirby's decisions with a little more umph. But at the moment it's a little like spitting into the wind.

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

My concern is not about how often you throw the ball. It is about having the capability to throw the ball when you need to and often enough to keep the safties out of run support. My concern is about not using your most talented players. My concern is not having a great season in 2022 because WE NOT DID NOT GET OUR 5 STAR QUARTERBACKS READY TO PLAY AND THEN COULD NOT USE THEM. My concern in spring practice is giving more reps to the veteran QB than to Vandegriff, Beck and Stockton.

We were lucky to win the NC for 2021, and I am totally grateful for that, but we have lost so many key players that it will be much more difficult to do it again. We were also lucky to have SB step in and do the job he did, but in 2022 it will require a higher level of quarterback play. I am not sure that person is SB. In 2022 we should start the season with our best QB which was determined by giving all our QBs an even chance.

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Although I love UGA being RBU, I concur with those saying earlier that we need to commit more to becoming a great passing university. Only then will highly rated wide receivers commit to Georgia, as they now do to Bama, Ohio State, and, previously, Oklahoma. Having a great defense does not mean we can't have an equally great offense. Having both increases our chance of winning it all.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why??? Defenses...like UGA's have caught up to the big time passing attacks. They know how to stop it now. By putting their best athletes on the defensive side of the ball and attacking not just the edges. Without a running game and defense, you don't stand a chance.

A great coach once said, the pass is not the preferred method of moving the football. Three things can happen and two of em are bad. UGA passed enough last year to move the ball and keep the defense honest. That's all you need. If you rely completely on the pass and 3 or 4 guys on offense, including the QB, being the sum total of your production, it leaves you vulnerable to injury or a defense such as UGA's.

UGA's NC was far from luck. They are blazing the new path to excellence and BAMA will soon be chasing them. But, not till they get a running game. If they had had one in January....well, let's just say they didn't and wished they did. LOL

Some of you HC/OC wannabes are behind the games power curve. The landscape is shifting back to defense and running game with a focused passing attack using TE's and RB's and an occasional deep throw to the X Or Z receiver.

I sort of beg to differ. We had a generational defense last year and we dang near got passed to death, as great as our defense was in the SECC. The football gods smiled on us as the Old Ball Coach predicted they might. BAMA lost Metchie and then Williams.

Sure we made some adjustments and played much better on defense in the NC. BUt let's not be naive, and think that if they didn't have Metchie and Williams they couldn't have won the NC. I'm not saying they would or wouldn't. No one will ever know for sure. BUt we weren't playing the same offense that passed it willy-nilly against us in the SECC.

Now let me throw this out there. What if BAMA had a 3rd great receiver, say a TE along the lines of a BRock Bowers? See where I'm going with this? THey would have been nearly impossible to stop if that were the case. I don't care if you had a generational defense where you had 3-4 defensive players go in the1st round like we might.

So, count me all in for having as dynamic an offense as you can possibly have. One that can run and throw with the best of them. Our defense this year will have great talent, but we just lost the best defense the school has ever seen. Can we reload and be nearly as good? I hope so. I don't see anyone challenging us til the SECC .

Tell all that to AUB, A&M, LSU, ARK and FLA...all of whom, either beat em, tied em or almost beat em. With this elaborate passing game you speak of. LOL. On the other hand, nobody came close to beating UGA all season, including 3 of the teams I I mentioned, with regards to BAMA.

And....UGA had a generational defensive front that was plain worn down and a thin inexperienced defensive backfield that led to BAMA moving the ball the way they did for 2 qtrs in the SECC. It cost UGA and the God's smiled on BAMA.

I'll also mention the fact that the offensive line that later beat BAMA in the Natty wasn't the same offensive line that lost to BAMA in the SECC. Once Salyer was moved to RG and Jones was installed at LT, UGA moved the ball at will. It opened up the running attack.

BTW...I reread your post and realized you made one of my points for me. LOL

If the sum total of offensive production relys solely on the success of 3-4 players, including the QB, it leaves you vulnerable and exposed when you lose one or two of those players. Especially if it's the QB.

BAMA lost 2 of the 3 legs of their offense and couldn't score in the Red Zone...cause they had no running game to provide backup support. The only TD they had was due to a late game fumble in their Red Zone. If passing is your default mode of offense, then you better darned well have more than 2 or 3 guys that can execute at the elite level. If you lose one of them, you're now average. Just sayin'.

UGA lost half their projected offensive production before the season started and played with multiple Freshmen throughout the year. They didn't rely on the pass or the run in particular...just solid offense. And.... They managed to average 1 point less per game than the mighty BAMA's vaunted passing game. And it could have been much more if they wanted to run up the score like BAMA. LOL

Bama got beat by Texas A&M when they took them lightly. Texas had lost to arkansas, and to MIss.St and had barely beaten Colorado by3 points I believe. Texas beat them by throwing for 3 TD's and playing more physical than BAMA. Fisher is a master motivator against BAMA. IF you watch the highlights the Texas receivers were wide open. Everyone kew BAMA's weakness was their secondary. A&M also had a kickoff return for a TD. How often does that happen against BAMA?

LSU almost beat them or played them tough because they limited BAMA to 6 net runnng yards, but BAMA still won, because they had the better skill players. A team without the quality of BAMA's would have definitely gotten beat.

Forida should have beaten BAMA, but they didn't, Florida outphysicaled them, but again Bama still managed 31 points becasue Young threw for 3 TD's. BAMA had only 80 yards on the ground.

Auburn played BAMA tough, they usually do being a rivalry game/instate. Auburn put on an awesome dislplay on defense, sacked Young 8 times, Williams got ejected for the 2nd half and yet Young and company still found a way to beat them. Auburn lost becasue they didn't have the skill guys BAMA had. Basically any other team that gets sacked 8 times loses. Period! BUt not BAMA. WHy? Because of their Heisman winner.

Teams should lose when they get out physicaled and you shut down their run game. However, if you have a dynamic passing attack you are always in the ballgame. You're just 1 or 2 big throws away from a victory.

For as great as our defense played against BAMA in the NC game, the game wasn't a done deal until the pick 6. And that was without Metchie and Williams. Just sayin. Great defense and great offense, both throwing and running is the formula.

Let's face it. BAMA didn't have a BAMA type defense last year and still made it to the NC, because of their skill guys. THen they lost 2 of their best skill guys against us. We had a generational defense and with a few minutes left in the game, It was still anyone's ballgame, even without their top 2 receivers.

LOL...I'm not sure how, what I said, did differed much from what you said.

You didn't point out, that LSU was playing with an enormous amount of backups and 3rd stringers because of injury and the coaching situation. Orgeron was a lame duck coach and still almost beat BAMA. How many TD passes did they have?

AUB didn't beat BAMA for one simple reason...coaching and a bone headed play by Tank Bigsby with less than 2 minutes to play in the game. If Bigsby stays in bounds,, game over...if the coach calls a more conservative play, game over. BAMA's prolific passing attack had NOTHING to do with it. They should never have gotten the opportunity to drive the length of the field at the end of the game....and tie it up.

In the NATTY, it wasn't Bryce Young throwing to Elite receivers all over the field, that won the day. It was Stetson Bennett throwing to Freshmen at the end of the game combined with a powerful rushing attack.

And, the interception by Ringo was icing on the cake. The defense was in control at that point. UGA front 7 is the best I've ever seen. They didn't give Young time to breath, much less, set up to pass.....and, that is an absolute requirement for a "prolific passing attack", no matter who is on the receiving end. The only thing that would have slowed down UGA's relentless rush, ironically, was a running game...and BAMA didn't have that. UGA did.

In the SECC Game, UGA tried some things on defense that did not work out. They didn't have the personnel all year to run out of the dime defense. Instead of attacking Young, for whatever reason, they decided to defend the backend. I don't know if that was a Lanning decision, a Smart decision, a Muschamp decision or a necessary decision...due to a battered and weakened (by illness) front 7. I don't know about you, but, after I've had the flu, I'm not the same for 2-3 weeks. It drains you and it takes time to recover fully and get your strength and energy back. I suspect that had a lot to do with the approach UGA took, defensively, in the SECC. I know they had a flu outbreak at the end of the regular season that effected a lot of guys on both sides of the ball. I think it's safe to say, the team we saw play BAMA in the SECC was not the same team we saw throughout the season or the one we saw destroy Michigan or BAMA in the 4th qtr of the NC.