Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN writer expects Georgia football to ‘underperform’ in 2022 season

2»

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nah… Bama lost two of the three players they ‘can’t win without’ to the NFL draft. 😉

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On what basis are you asserting Beck and Vandegriff are “more talented” and what do you mean by “more talented”?

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

So well said @Loranwhaddayagot ! If we surprise anyone at all this year it really should not be because of our defense but our offense. We have been in the top 10 statistically the last five years in defense in the nation, not just last year and with our coaching, talent and development, I see that continuing.

And I believe we will have a huge improvement in our offensive production to offset any "newbie" experience gaining on the defensive side. Not to take away from our offense last year which, IMO, was one of the most enjoyable UGA offenses to watch that I have seen in recent years!

Underperform!? I think not! Let the Vols do that!

I truly like our chances!

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2022
    1. ESPN's business model is based on click-bait
    2. Ryan McGee, as noted below, in a Tennessee homer (loved the term "Volunturds")
    3. Kirby's public lament re: WR/DBs is messaging to any/all WR/DBs in the portal to hold off making a decision before you talk to UGA. If Kirby plays this right, and he usually does, he will have a lot of good choices.

Yes, we will somewhat inexperienced on the D-side of the ball at the start of the season. But not by the end of the year, though - when it counts. Freshman starters are no longer freshmen (mentally) by game 10 or 11 or 12 ...

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Late on this one....I think the Dawgs have some promise....Monken has the drill down pat now and utilizes the offense much better. He knows how to shore up the weaknesses and develop the strengths. He gets the best out of what he has to work with. UGA is thin in spots. I like Monken. Bennett should be right where he left off last seaslon....#1 QB. He will work on getting rid of the ball earlier, quicker read of the defense. Smart will see to it that he becomes a better leader. UGA defense will not be as potent. Fact. You lose your best heavyweights and it will obviously show. I can see UGA taking the SEC East. Beyond that....?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with both of you guys to an extent. Freshmen college football players that aspire to play professionally, which make up 80% of UGA's roster, are much more starter ready than they were in 1982 or 2002. From the time they are playing midget league and decide that's the route for them, they have so many more resources available to make it happen than we did when I was growing up.

They have in-depth ESPN and other cable Football coverage, internet, sponsorship and Camps that grade them (feedback), sports medicine and strength/conditioning development, etc.. When I was coming up, I had to borrow a projector from Coach and take it home along with film to review. And, that was rare. There's only 3 projectors and 22 starters, so there was that. If you wanted to get focused strength and conditioning, you had to pay for it, for instance, we had several players going to Howard Cohens Gym when I played in Savannah. Nowadays, every school with a "program" has focused strength and conditioning. If you don't play for one of those schools, you transfer, like Big Bear Alexander and others did, last year, to schools like IMG or De La Salle.

My point is this...assessment of how a school "reloads" has not changed with the times. Reloading at schools like UGA and BAMA is not "the same as it ever was". UGA doesn't reload 1 bullet at a time, anymore. They change out magazines.

Before last season, nobody predicted UGA's dominance. And, they won't predict next year correctly, either. Why? Because, all they can focus on, is what UGA lost...not the magazine of starter-ready players that were standing behind them, waiting their turn, getting 1st team reps in games in 2021. All the talented, prepared players that were signed this year and enrolled early, going through the Bulldog Bootcamp. They'll be ready to get their 1st/2nd team reps this Fall and will be put in games throughout next year to get them ready for 2023.

That's football today. So, go ahead and make your predictions, based on an outdated formula. I'll stick to mine. UGA will "walk the Dawg" next year in the SEC. They will win the SECC and compete for another Natty. There will be near zero drop-off on defense because of a much improved backfield. There will be massive improvement on offense because of a talented, experienced OLINE, QB, Backfield, TE's and WR...as long as they can manage to squash the injury bug that bit em last year and held them back.

Sic em Dawgs. Stay away from the Social media machine.

• Options
    brvhrtbrvhrt Posts: 322 ✭✭✭ Junior

Whenever you, as a writer, use expressions like "Not a chance", you've lost all objectivity...which is quickly followed by losing all credibility. Be a fan on your own time, McGee, or nobody will take you seriously.

• Options
    saigonbillydawgsaigonbillydawg Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited March 2022

Mr McGee, talented as he is, has eyes like Mr. McGoo, wearing T shades made to ignore the obvious talent expertly assembled and highly developed in Athens, same type of shades made All SEC first and second team voters blind to the obvious talents of Travon Walker, as he overtook and one-arm-swatted down an escaping, very fast Alabama WR in the Natty, an overpowering, 4.51 Laser speed force on display , in that critical moment and all year, glittering for all to see, but the shades worn by so many don't want to see all that extremely elite level of talent Kirby and staff have both assembled and developed highly in Athens. Watch the draft and witness what you shade wearers don't want to see... BEHOLD....there it is. All that talent, so articulately assembled in Athens, properly developed, and very well displayed, yet intentional blindness is not currently a penalty when fanboys refuse to acknowledge this young man's hard work and talent, and don't even allow a 2nd team ALL SEC status to a very deserving, elite NFL Pick. Likely top 5, maybe #1 overall. Very unprofessional of you, and you know who you are, go ahead, please, keep it up, if you insist. But, if you want to see, take off those fanboy shades so you can see, and agree. Then,

y'all best get used to it