Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN writer expects Georgia football to ‘underperform’ in 2022 season

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2022 in Article commenting
imageESPN writer expects Georgia football to ‘underperform’ in 2022 season

Of course, it is going to be hard for Georgia to replicate the success it had last season. You don’t lose Jordan Davis, Nakobe Dean, Travon Walker and others all at the same time and get better going into the next season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My concern is at DB. Lose just 1-2 to injury and now you have almost zero experience.

As far as repeating as National Champions, the odds are always against any program doing that. With the Dawgs losing the most talent in CFB and the odds against go up even more.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“All I can say is don’t underestimate them Dawgs.”

I like that! Very well said!

Go Dawgs! National Champions! 1942, 1980, 2021

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited March 2022

"Bennett's time as a folk hero among the fan base seems to have lasted about a week". Seems like someone else is concerned about Bennett. Smart is concerned about his leadership, going to class and doing the right thing. It was telling last week when George Pickens had Carson Beck throwing to him at Pro Day. Beck and Vandegriff are more talented and have more potential than Bennett. I hope Smart figures that out before we play Oregon.

• Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Any chance JT Daniels actually ends up staying at UGA? I suspect there are plenty of folks who would expect, if he does, for him to come off the bench early. The upcoming season will need to be more offense-driven than 2021 but the schedule is favorable. We have a lot of unknowns on special teams - Jack Pod was good last year (maybe not yet one of the unbelievable kickers we’ve always had) and I believe we’ll be using a brand new punter.

• WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Essentially Mr. ESPN just stated that anything short of being in the championship game is underperforming. If you win double digit games and win the East as stated you are now most likely in the playoffs as long as you don’t lose the Oregon game.

As has been stated multiple times here repeat is rarely done, but should still be the goal. If we were to make the playoffs that is far from underperforming. Bad clickbait.

Go Dawgs!!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder how many teams would like making it to the SECCG in a "rebuilding" year? I wonder how many teams would like the talent to make the SECCG and be considered "underperforming"? This team has a lot of talent, excellent coaching and an experienced QB. How many teams would trade talent w/UGA and be happy to be a top 3 team in a down year? Not sure what ESPN guy's agenda is but don't bark at the Big Dawg.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The odds are stacked against UGA repeating after losing so many great players. But "underperforming" is the wrong word for that.

"Underperformance" is what Dan Mullen used to do every year and what Jimbo Fisher has done so far. Under Smart, "underperformance" just ain't a thang (well, arguably 2020, but ... COVID).

If the Dawgs don't happen to repeat (which we could with all our talent if everything fell together perfectly), the year will be about "reloading" -- not "underperforming."

The schedule could end up being Goldilocks for a reloading team to look good and to develop. In Lanning's first year, Oregon will be lucky to end up Top 10. Meanwhile, Kentucky, Mississippi St., South Carolina. Tennessee and Auburn are each on various Top 25 too-early lists. Finishing 12-0 going against, say, 4-5 top 25 teams heading into SEC would be a fine resume.

Of course, the SEC gantlet could end up working out the other way because all those teams plus Florida and Missouri may be capable of exploiting a thin, inexperienced D. Losing two or three of those games -- still possible -- would be "underperforming." But I just don't think Coach Kirby's gonna let that happen.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry...what is this? A joke? Ryan McGee is a diehard Vols fan who actually thought Tennessee stood a chance to beat UGA in '21.

Like all Volunturds, he's in a state of delirium that this is their year.

Not saying we'll match last year, but to say we'll underperform is being disingenuous.

I wonder how he'll feel when the Vols underperform...

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The proving grounds start in the spring. Sic'em Dawgz.😎

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited March 2022

Alabama was a young team last year, and they likely will be better this year. I believe we can beat them again, but if we do not I would not attribute it to "underperforming," but instead to improvements in the opposition. We will underperform if we lose prior to the SECCG.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good bulletin board material. "THere's not chance." Only a fool writes something like that. I think by the time the SECC rolls around our new starters will have a clue on defense and the offense should be better IMO. Let BAMA beat us in the SECC who cares? It's tough to beat a really good team twice in the same year, statistics back that up.

THe question then remains would the powers that be keep anundefeated regular season UGA team from the playoffs that the year before had the same scenario happen(losing to BAMA) yet won the Natty?

You talk about getting shafted if that were to happen. Hopefully we'll control our own destiny.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2022

I had the same idea about JT returning, but I think he closed the door at UGA by skipping Spring practice. Also, Bama lost 6 players in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft and they were still able to bounce back this past season. Hopefully we can reload and do the same. Go Dawgs!!!

• georgiajeepn2019georgiajeepn2019 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

McGee and Schlabach? ESPN has still not realized Dawg fans have figured out their good cop-bad cop clickbait offseason trash they spew out.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think this is a hot take that won’t age well (the part about Beck throwing to Pickens being telling). How about the fact that Pickens was injured all year and probably was working with the 2’s as he got back to full health. He probably just had a better rhythm with Beck due to repetitions - as Bennett would not have been focused on repping with players Georgia MIGHT have gotten back. I find this to be an unfair assessment of Bennetts chemistry with the receivers overall. And more so another feeble attempt to discredit Stetsons abilities. Just my two cents.

• ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

ESPN analysts and writers have been wrong 99.99% of the time, so this is actually good news for the Dawgs.

• UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wonder if Mr. McGee would be so kind to explain what exactly it means for a team to “underperform”? Specifics please.