Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia QB Carson Beck looked better than Stetson Bennett on G-Day; honest takes by position

Comments

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

What we know is that Stetson was A correct answer last year, not THE correct answer. Daniels didn't play. We do not know what would have happened in the alternate reality where Daniels got his job back at some point. Just because Stetson won the title doesn't mean that Daniels was the wrong choice or those calling for him to start was incorrect in their evaluation Daniels was (and is) the better QB. It simply means we may have had multiple choices last year that would have led to the same end-result. The team was good, and they made up for any deficiencies they had.

People get lost in the glow of the story and the championship itself and tend to forget that Stetson was a correct answer only AFTER Alabama was down a significant number of players on offense and defense. Even down their top 2 WR targets and several players on the defensive backend for most of the game, the game was close until the fourth quarter. People conveniently forget we already had a sample of his ability against a healthy Alabama. Injuries are a part of the game,so that is sour grapes coming from Alabama, but the pro-Stetson crowd would do good to remember that game was played against a different Alabama than the Alabama they played in Atlanta.

• Options
    TopDawg5TopDawg5 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

Georgia is 12-1 with Stetson Bennett as the starter, Mike’s articles are comical to say they very least. I find more mistakes in his writings than any other journalist that covers the team. It’s “bull pen” Mike not “bull pit”.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree that Delp and Gilbert looked very good and both will see the field early and often this year.

McConkey had a disappointing day...especially when he dropped a 55 yd pass that hit him in the face mask. LOL...But, to be fair, he was interfered with by Ringo. It just wasn't called.

Seither had at least 3 drops that I remember and AD Mitchell had a couple as well as both backs. There were dropped passes and passes that should have been caught or knocked down by the receiver, all over the field.

They looked rusty in the passing game all around, but, there were flashes of great things to come. I agree with Greg Macelroy when he said UGA could run out of a fourteen offensive set next year and drive defenses crazy with mismatches. A 14 offense means lining up with 4 TE's and a RB. Bowers, Washington, Gilbert, Delp and any one of the 3 or 4 RB's they use.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TopDawg5 Kirby said "Bull pit" -- go watch the video.

I know what a bull pen is, but maybe Kirby calls the area of the sideline where they warm up something else, IDK?

But that's what he said.

Feedback is great, I'll do my best to catch those typos. But the head coach said "Bull pit" so that's what I wrote on this one!

Happy Easter!

• Options
    TopDawg5TopDawg5 Posts: 27 ✭✭ Sophomore

Listen folks this is who we have covering the Dawgs. This guy doesn’t bleed red and black and he does nothing but attack Kirby Smart and constantly question his remarks. The day Mike finds another team to cover will be a great day. He was wrong last year in his assessments and he is right on track for another year of pathetic journalism.

• Options
    edited April 2022

@BigDawg61 Are we grading how many passes were dropped into stats?

Are you saying I should say Bennett should have 3 interceptions because one was dropped?

I disagree with that.

I also don't think we should take away a touchdown pass because a player made a great play on a poor throw.

You are welcome to qualify your take however you wish! I'll take the time to read your comments, and I appreciate the time you took to read my story.

Feedback is a good thing.

• Options

You seem to forget that in 2020, if Bennett doesn't get injured in the FLA game, he very likely would have taken the Dawgs to the SECC, possibly the CFP... and Daniels might have only seen the field in a backup role. Perspective is a B-i-t-c-h...ain't she. LOL

All we know, is what DID happen. Bennett won it all and he did it with MVP performances in both CFP games. Don't know how Daniels or any other QB could have done it better....or even how that matters.

That's my Dawgs.

• Options

First, let me say...the pass to the back corner of the end zone was a great catch and a good throw. Bennett put the ball in the only spot on the field where the receiver had a play on the ball to keep it in the End Zone. The defender didn't have a play on it and wasn't looking for the ball. So, yeah, we don't see that play the same way.

And, if you do that, you have to give Bennett credit for 4 TD's and 1 INT...that, in my opinion shouldn't have been an interception. Regarding the intercepted pass over the middle in the 2nd half with 2 mins to go. The receiver (#5) wasn't aggressive in trying to catch the ball or converting to defender when the ball bounced around. It could have been caught, or at the very least, knocked down. It wasn't a great throw, but, it wasn't a terrible throw. It was a little behind the receiver. Lackadaisical play on the part of Mitchell. K. Jackson came to play.

The fact is, Bennett made 1 or 2 physical errors against a very good defense under less than optimal conditions. I'm sure he was told to stay in the pocket and work on quick release. He was told not to run the ball...take no unnecessary chances that would risk injury. And, above all...don't make any mental errors. I think he succeeded on all counts.

Beck outperformed Vandergriff under what appeared to be equal conditions. Not sure why Beck didn't attempt to run with the ball as Vandergrif did...unless, he was instructed not to, due to the possible fact that he IS the #2 QB and Smart didn't want him risking injury. Either way,, both had miscues.. Beck over-threw Morissette on a 20-30 yd pass to the end zone that Morissette had 2 steps on the defender. Vandergriff had 2 badly under thrown passes to the end zone from inside the 10 yd line..

You have to remember, this wasn't a game so much as it was a practice.

As for drops....and there were plenty...I think that just points to the rust on the backs and receivers in the passing game. For instance, Rosemy Jack-Saint dropped a 30 yd back shoulder pass at the flag stick. McConkey failed to catch a 50 yarder that hit him in the face mask.. Seither, Mitchell, McIntosh and Milton had several drops.. Personally, I think "dropped passes" is just as valid a STAT as "Sacks". Bennett was barely touched by N. Smith on his way down...and that was a "Sack". Give me a break.

For the record...I enjoy reading your articles and will continue to do so. You provide a good perspective of UGA football and I like your enthusiasm...even though, sometimes I think it's misplaced when it comes to QB's.

Keep up the good work. I appreciate the fact, you were able to reel out a story almost immediately after the G-Day game.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was great to see Dominick Blaylock back on the field making plays. Hoping Dom has a breakout year this season. He's definitely worked to put himself in a position to do just that..GoDAWGS!

• Options

FYI, I don't know if any of you guys have watched a USFL game...but, I'm watching N.O. vs PHI right now and Davin Bellamy (former Dawg) is killing it. He's got 4 sacks and wreaking havoc on every play defensively.

I like it anyway...good football.

• Options
    Falcon1103Falcon1103 Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

First of all let me say I have been a Bulldog fan my entire life. I am a Veteran who spent 28 years in the U.S. Navy and i'm from Columbus, GA. I've been in battle spending 4 tours in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan and I know a little something about teamwork. I like Stetson Bennett because he stuck it out and made a difference. I like JeT. Because he never made an issue after he got hurt and supported Stetson and the team with absolutely no drama. I've seen both quarterbacks play and JT is better but Kirby had a plan and stuck with it and it worked. But make no mistake about it. The Defense won UGA the national championships hands down. I watched G day and Stetson was the better of the 3 QB's. But I'm sick of people crowning a 6 year college student the Goat when he should be out performing the other guys. For all you Stetson enthusiasts, what are you going to hang your hat on after this year? You all need to come together and supported the team because he didn't do it by himself. The truth is that he's turnover prone and that's Alabama's only TD came on short yardage after this fumble. The defense rallied all game until he managed a couple of nice throws for which he was due. The Defense as a whole should of won both offense and defensive MVP. I hope the offense can do much better this year. And and of your who worship Stetson...well this is his last year so find someone else to love.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

MG The One Trick Pony bashing Stetson — always has to insert a perceived negative such as height, walk on, etc. But I am shocked he did not mention his BFF, JT and how well he performed at last years G Day game.

• Options

I too am a 20 year USN veteran. My war was, The Cold War. Stationed aboard SSBN's with 5 years of underwater time. So, I know a little something about human nature and leadership too.

Let me start by saying nobody is "worshipping Bennett"...just giving him his due, Chief. You throw around the term "turnover prone". He only had 3 more INT's last year than the Heisman Winner. He had 4 more than Daniels (3) and 5 more than Beck (2) with 3 times and 18 times the number of attempts, respectively. The best of my memory he recovered his own fumble in the CFP...kinda like Young recovering HIS own fumble in the SECC. The fumble in the 4th qtr that led to BAMA's TD is debatable.

And, BTW...he injured his right hand in the 1st series of the game, which effected his grip for a couple of qtrs. It was stepped on. His parents mentioned it in an interview.

I just watched that game again today and one of the announcers called it "possibly the worst call (by the official) that I've ever seen". Now we can split hairs over that, but, the fact is.. Bennett responded by throwing 2 TD's and taking an 8 point lead into the final 2 minutes for the defense to hold. Which of course, they did.

Make no mistake...I know what the defense did. I am a former defender and I love defense. Erk Russell is one of my favorite all-time coaches. But, you've gotta give the Devil his due, whether you like him, hate or are indifferent (which I am)...Bennett did his job. His offense averaged 39 pts/game throughout the year. That's way more than enough to support UGA's Legendary 2021 Defense.

• Options

Who is bashing Stet? It was what it was, not his best outing -- why is that so hard for people accept?

• Options

I'm not sure I get that one either. I didn't think you were bashing him. But, you definitely weren't giving him a even hand with the critique, when you said Beck out performed Bennett. I think it's clear that Bennett isn't an Aaron Murray or Matt Stafford...but, he is definitely in the same ballpark as David Greene and Jake Fromm.

His mobility just gives him a different game. He wasn't able to employ that side of his game Saturday. It is what it is...but, you could've pointed out some of the inequities before declaring Beck the winner du jour. LOL

It's not bashing...but, it is skewing. It is what it is.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Vandergriff had 2 badly under thrown passes to the end zone from inside the 10 yd line.." BVG also had the best throw of the game. The rollout completion to Blaylock down to the 2 was a Sunday throw (NFL). Maybe his 2 underthrown passes are possibly a result of getting fewer QB reps than Beck and way fewer practice reps than SBIV? Ya think maybe they go hand in hand? 43% completion % with a healthy OL and mostly healthy receiver group vs a make shift defensive backfield after receiving a lion's share of practice reps is at best worrisome.

• Options

I think...Smart said, "all the quarterbacks got equal reps with the 1's and 2's during Spring Practice".

I also think...the quarterback position gets far too much credit when things go right and far too much blame when they go wrong, in most cases.

I also think..most "fans" don't know how to digest a Spring scrimmage. All 3 QB's did some good things, or they wouldn't be there. It's expected. To point to STATS in a scrimmage is pretty much rediculous, especially considering a mobile QB was not allowed to be mobile. Surely you noticed that. Everytime Bennett attempted to move outside the pocket and a DL or LB was even near him, he was whistled down. That was no accident. I believe Smart gave Bennett and Beck strict instructions to work on their pocket presence and quick release. Vandergriff was allowed to freelance and adlib.

I also think...it was just one practice. LOL. There were 14 others you didn't see...and neither did Dawg Nation reporters.

When Beck moved to the Black team...what were his STATS? I know Bennett's.

When Vandergriff moved to the Red Team...what were his STATS? I know Becks.

I'll watch the scrimmage a few more times over the next week or 2 and my 1st impression may change, but, I can tell you now, it won't be based entirely on STATS.

Happy Easter.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here is a tip for you. Stats can lie. What do I mean? Bennett only had 3 INT's more than the Heisman winner and a few more than the other UGA QB's. Yeah, because they held his hand, by limiting the passes that took a better passer and decision maker than him. Conservative passing game because time and time again Bennett PROVED he was an INT machine. I cannot tell you how many times he hit DB's or LB's in the chest, that they dropped, when it was not a conservative play or the defense knew he was passing. Stats lie and can be conveniently omitted too. Where is the stat for his 3rd down passing? Yeah.

Play-calling protected Bennett BIG TIME. Half the passes in the playbook was off limits 90% of the time. I remember one game last year defense was doing their thing shutting out the other team and Stetson threw an unnecessary pick and blew it and other games where he should have been picked and would have most likely blew the shutout and games he did but the defense still shut them out. With all Bennet's attributes, he still has his liabilities passing the ball, maybe he will overcome more of them this year. Maybe not.

Coaches protected him for the good of the team and from himself. His INT stats are misleading as can be. We all know you love him and that is your opinion and we love him too but some, like me, are not convinced concerning the exact same things Kirby said and those things can lose him the starting job. Decision-making, bonehead throws, etc. Some throws he probably will never be able to make consistently or often and that shrinks the playbook and when you combine that with the other issues, that handcuffs the offense and that is why Kirby has stated these things publicly. Who wants a limited playbook like he is a freshman?

The UGA offense needs more because the defense will not be as good. The UGA offense will not get all the possessions that got last year, all the 3 and outs, etc. That is why UGA points per game was so high. Not because of Bennett. That and running game and play-action. I mean, 3rd down passing was not his strength to say the least. The offense could screw up or have a 3 and out and would just get the ball right back, over and over and over and over, all season. Without play-action, Bennett was toast. He was no JT. He could pass well on certain plays due to the run game and maybe only due to the run game. His 3rd down passing was, to put it nicely, was not good and truthfully unacceptable.

Stetson has his pluses and minuses. That is the truth. Love him or don't care for him to start this year. If Jake Fromm was here, who would be starting? Fromm. Murray? Murray. David Greene? Greene. Shockley? Shockley. Inexperience of the other QB's and winning the Natty is the only reason Bennett starts this year. Why? Because he is still a liability in the passing game unless the playbook is significantly reduced. Unless he can finally make much better decisions and some more of the throws.

And one more thing. He has never brought the team back from being down double digits when the other team knows he has to throw in the 2nd half and 4th quarter. Maybe he will check that box off this year, getting the #1 reps. Again, he is serviceable and UGA was lucky to have him these last 2 years with JT's injuries. But as a passer, he is the least talented overall on the UGA roster. He will throw an INT in a heartbeat if the leash is taken off. But, he is experienced and that may be enough to keep him starting this year. Or he may lose the starter job by a much better passer who does not make the bone-headed mistakes, before this season is over.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sic 'em Mike LOL. You aren't bashing anyone. Just telling it like it is, brother.

And in what I thought was a very truthful, fair and bash-free way, that even included possible reasons for lack of a better performance, in this and your other article for all the guys that you mentioned. I guess some people are very sensitive when it comes to this topic and see things that aren't really there nor implied, one way or the other.

Just FYI, I do not care who is QB. As long as it is the one that gives the team the best chance to win come the SEC Championship. Stetson or no Stetson.

• Options

Well, that was a long breakdown. LOL. But, I'm guilty of the same thing. I get started and I just can't stop myself. I'll respond and try to hit the high points, but, it's late and I'm getting tired. LOL

I don't know if you read my earlier post or maybe I didn't make it clear...I never..never use only STATS to evaluate a player. A QB in particular. Bennett has only been required to come from "behind by double digits" twice. Both times were against BAMA.

Before you say it...You can't count the 2020 FLA game. Bennett was up 14-0 and looking sharp until the TD pass to Rosemy Jack-Saint. He was replaced in the 2nd half by Mathis. I was actually shocked that Smart didn't have Daniels ready to go in. I don't know what 1 week of extra rehab did for him that 1 year and 2 months didn't. He could have gone in for 1 qtr and possibly turned that game around.. He did start 1 week later, though...after UGA was basically eliminated from SECC contention.

Okay...let's talk about STATs. How many dropped passes, errors running routes and blown assignments? He handled those by doing what good QB's do...creating plays where there are none. Sometimes there's risk involved. You throw into tight windows and areas only your guy has a chance to make a play, sometimes it doesn't go your way. The receiver has a responsibility to go after the football and turn into a defender, if necessary. UGA wasn't blessed with an abundance of experienced, athletic receivers last year. I don't think passing ability is the reason for the conservative offensive play.

Why don't you go back and count the number of passes that hit DB's and LB's in the chest. You are just quoting a narrative, not a reality. There was a couple in the SECC and CFP, but, it wasn't a prevalent characteristic, contrary to popular opinion.

Like I said...the quarterback is 1/11th of the offense. It takes receivers that can catch and get separation, a running game to help the play action and an offensive line that can consistently create a pocket in order for the passing game to work.

You saw what happened to Bryce Young when 1 or 2 of those things break down. It happened to him at Auburn and again in the Championship game. They were gifted one and lost the other. He got a trophy for his STATS, but, not a ring.

Quarterbacks get far too much credit for things going right and far too much blame when they go wrong.

And just an FYI...here's the STATS for 2021...

Bennett 64.5% on 287 ATT, 10 YDS/Rec, 4.6 yds/carry, TDs 29, 7 INTs, 14 sacks, RTG=176.7

Daniels 72.2% on 68 ATT, 7.7 YDS/Rec, -4.5 Yds/carry, TDs 7, 3 INTs, 2 sacks, RTG=155.1

B. Young 66.9% on 547 ATT, 8.9 YD/Rec, 0.0 yds/carry, TDs 47, 7 INTs, 39 sacks, RTG= 167.5

Hmmm. Stats do say a lot, though, don't they?