Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football quarterback recruiting coming into focus as 2 SEC schools land quarterbacks

2»

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If he wants to be a student/athlete at the University of Georgia and Kirby wants him I'm good with it.

If not, we're good.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree. It'd be great if he chose UGA, but, it's not necessary. The Dawgs are about more than 1 player. He would have more to gain by coming to Athens, than UGA has to lose if he doesn't...and I think his Folks know that. That's why he will ultimately chose UGA this Summer.

Where would you rather be as an18-19 year old? Athens? Tuscaloosa? or anywhere in texas...except, maybe San Antonio? LOL

It's going to come down to some of the intangibles. The coaching and facilities at the other 2 schools are also 1st class.

• Options

His Grandfather is Archie Manning. His Uncles are Payton and Eli. They run a QB development camp. Do you really think he's concerned about being developed or groomed for the NFL? Itching maybe they've got that part covered.

IMO, his family probably wants him to have a college experience that maybe they missed out on at Ole Miss and Tennessee. No National Championship or Heisman Trophy among 3 of the best QBs of their time. Although they did account for 4 Super Bowl wins.

• Options

I really don't care if all 3 QBs decide not to leave rather than compete. If that happens, "see ya, wouldn't want to be ya". LOL

You can only play 1 QB at a time, although Mark Richt divided time between David Greene and D.J. Shockley between 2002-2004, that worked out pretty well for all concerned. Shockley eventually took over as starter when Greene moved on in the 2005 NFL Draft. Shockley was drafted the next year in 2006 after a successful RS season ending with an SECC.

The thing is, THAT, likely, will never happen again. At least as long as the Transfer Portal exists. On the other hand, because of the Transfer Portal, UGA will never have to sweat the QB room again...at least as long as Kirby Smart is HC.

So, come to UGA or don't...the Dawgs will be just fine with or without the Mannings. I'd prefer it be with, though.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I say, go all in for Manning. If they don't get him, there will be two or more capable options with Beck -Vandergriff - Stockton on board. If one or less transfers, Georgia would be good even without signing a 2023 QB, which either way isn't going to happen.

I for one, think the Dawgs have a good shot of signing Manning. I think it all depends on what kind of guarantee they get from Monken on if he's willing to stay while Manning's in school. If Monken told them he'd stay, I think it would be Georgia.

• Options

You're saying, it depends on if he can trust what some of the staff tells him? Kinda like Bennett? Interesting.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pure and simple, if the kid is the #1 ranked high school player, I want him at UGA, regardless of his last name. And I'm not going to say, "he can come or not." No, Arch, I'd love to see you in the Red and Black. Reading between the lines of this article, it seems like Kirby & Co. still feel like they have a good shot at him, so they're keeping the room open. And until he up and signs with somebody else, I'm keeping hope alive. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m a fan of Stetson but I do think this 6th will cause collateral damage to the QB room. If Kirby is able to main Beck, Vandagriff and Stockton on the roster going in to next season, I will be shocked. So hopefully we do get Manning because my guess is at least one if not 2 of the aforementioned will be gone. Just my opinion and hopefully a wrong one.

• Options

Did it ever occur to anybody, Beck and BVG may never reach the lofty reaches everyone has ascribed to them? I say,, in 2022, go with what we know...Bennett. Personally, from what I've seen, I think he's going to shock 'some people', this year and possibly in the 2023 draft. I think we've been watching the growth of another Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray and 2022 will be his masterpiece.

2023 and '24 will work out. With or without, Beck, BVG, Manning or any other "maybe, might be, could be". The one thing Smart doesn't want to do, is sacrifice a whole season to find a potential QB...that could, in the end, transfer to another school for an NIL deal. There are NO guarantees anymore. In the words of George Allen, "the future is NOW".

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm saying I think the only reason why Manning wouldn't come to Georgia is if he had no guarantee of who his OC would be, and if he knows it would be Monken, then Georgia has a great chance. Not the same as Bennett at all.

• Options

How exactly, is it not the same thing? That could've been precisely what he was talking about, when he said that. Only speculation knows for sure. Monkin was flirting with moving back to the NFL at the time.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No debating the QB talent possessed in the Manning family. The QB position skillset has evolved since Archie, Peyton and Eli were drafted. The entire game of football has evolved. Is the Manning skillset still capable of excelling at the professional level? Good size and reported good speed and arm. And Arch is the most advanced Manning in understanding the QB position at this age.

BUT is he the #1 rated HS player on name and potential? Rating HS players is very subjective. Arch's HS has 1000 students from 1st -12th grades. Is the level of competition that Arch is shining against the equivalent of Georgia 7A HS 9th grade team? If you put Arch's IN HS up against Lonergan and Brookwood would Manning get embarrassed and Lonergan looks like Elway? I find it very interesting that Gunner Stockton dropped 138 spots in the final Rivals ratings because Rabun Co HS is 1A. Isadore Newman has fewer HS students than Rabun Co. Yet Arch has that #1 ranking locked up. Arch should develop into a solid CFB player. The biggest advantage to getting him may be in the recruiting boost he will bring with him.

• Options

Insightful take UGADad20. Makes you wonder.

If Arch is THAT talented, his Dad, Uncles and Grandfather have the resources to send him to literally any high school in the Nation. IMG, De Lasalle or any number of College Football prep High Schools that recruit and cater to top college prospects and play a challenging schedule. Why did they send him to a small 1A school that plays inferior talent on a small stage?

Were they trying to juice up his ranking and reputation? Or, is it simply, that they wanted him to enjoy his time in High School and be near his family and friends he grew up with. They've also got the resources to give him personal guidance and training. That won't be clear until he gets on the SEC stage. It will be apparent, soon enough. I can tell you from personal experience, being home with family and friends is important to overall development. I had to go to school in another County and commute on weekends, due to the High School in my County not having football. I missed out on a lot, back home. So, I support that 100%, if that's why he went to that school.

Also, don't forget, Herschel Walker went to a small school, too.... Wrightsville, Ga.. So, it's not an indictment...just a question.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It has occurred to me but that wasn’t the base content of my post. No doubt Kirby is going with the guy he thinks gives the Dawgs the best chance and I do not disagree. To clear up the base content of my previous post, it was about the negative results of an unusual 6th season could cause. Not about the abilities of Beck or Vandagriff. I subscribe to “ trust the coach, he the one that sees them every day.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Several articles I've read, show LSU making a strong push to sign Manning. Seems he has a great relationship with Brian Kelly, no idea why. Never know about a High School kid until they actually sign the NLI. #1 recruit last year flipped from a D1 school (Florida State) to Jackson State. So, I wouldn't be at all suprised if Manning ended up at LSU or a school not even in the race at this point.