Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former UGA football star indicted on rape charge by grand jury

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageFormer UGA football star indicted on rape charge by grand jury

Former UGA football star Adam Anderson has been indicted by a grand jury and charged with the rape of a 21-year-old woman, per ESPN. His arraignment will be held on June 13. Only six months ago, Anderson was considered UGA’s top prospect for this year’s NFL Draft, which kicks off on Thursday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dang, well it's in the hands of the system now.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really hate this.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

In every judicial situation you hope for the truth to be uncovered and justice to prevail. That is the ideal but not necessarily reality. The timing of this indictment is very curious. The NFL draft is this week. The NFL wields a lot of influence and power. One wonders if the NFL's inquiries into the validity of these charges has prompted or pressured this sudden change of status. This indictment virtually guarantees that Anderson will not be drafted. Very curious timing. I have zero idea of what the whole truth is in this case. BUT should Anderson not be drafted and be acquitted of the charges there will be a huge bidding war for his services. It would be like getting a free #1 draft choice for the team that signed him.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

IDK, from what I've read there have been two women that have made allegations.

Usually not a good sign.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 380 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hey it’s less than 22 that accused Deshaun Watson and he was proved not guilty…hate to say it, but sometimes it’s woman calling false claims on famous athletes

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's an interesting observation. I hadn't considered what would happen if he weren't drafted. I wonder if he would still be eligible for college football, if found not guilty. I.e., hit the reset button on declaring for the draft or as you say, offer services to the highest bidder.

That would be breaking new ground. I don't think his situation or this particular circumstance has a precedence. IF, Found not guilty or the alleged victim recants. Jameis Winston's rape allegation was close, but, he was never charged and the alleged victim faded away.

• Options

BTW, The indictment means absolutely nothing. He's still innocent until proven guilty. As they say on Court TV...in our justice system, Elmer Fudd could indict a ham sandwich. The bar for indictment is set extremely low. But, the bar to convict is set extremely high, theoretically. Of course we all know, that isn't always the case. I just hope truth and justice prevail.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The truth is what should be the goal here. The NFL would likely not draft him as he has been out out practice for far too long...IMO. I have no idea if he could be reinstated as a UGA student. If so, would Kirby reinstate him?

• Options

I didn't say, as a UGA student. I said "college football", meaning, ANY college team. I'm not sure Smart would want the distraction. My guess is, no. But, if he is found "not guilty", is it then fair to treat him as if he were "guilty". What message would that send, not just to current players, but, recruits? The implications of a "not guilty" verdict are staggering, considering Anderson's College/NFL prospects and earning potential.

BTW, he's only been out of football since the FLA game. Metchie was injured a few weeks later. Do you think Metchie won't be drafted cause, "he's been out of practice too long"? Or Williams, injured a few weeks after that? No, I don't think Anderson being out of football since the FLA game has any impact on his NFL prospects. After all, what was it, 17 NFL teams sent scouts to watch his workout the day before The Combine?

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

Watson was not “proven” anything relative to the allegations against him. Prosecutors declined to file criminal charges against him however he is still subject to a huge civil lawsuit. In civil law, the standard of proof is much lower and he is likely to be writing a big BIG check to settle these charges. He will not have to serve jail time however. I am so glad that the Falcons did not pick him up.

• Options

I believe the same can be said about Jameis Wnston. Not sure though. I haven't kept up with his case. I do know the appearance of shenanigans at FLA ST and Tallahassee was off the charts.. Selective persecution at work...yes,, persecution, not prosecution. Watson and Winston never charged, Anderson charged.

I don't know how much proof they have against Anderson. I guess time will tell. But, they appeared to at least have a case that should gone to trial, against Winston. There was a LOT of influence that went into keeping Winston's case out of court.

In a way, I'm glad Anderson's case is going to trial. At least there won't be a cloud hanging over him, like Winston an Watson, if he's found "not guilty". With Winston and Watson...the room for speculation will always be there.

And, for the record, I'm glad ATL didn't get him, too.

• Options

The NFL won't draft him because he may be in jail and not the NFL in the future. Also the NFL is pretty image conscious. Teams will not want to be associated with even an accused sexual assaulter. Bad for business. Unless of course you are a very good (meh) QB.

Once a player declares for the draft, as Anderson has and the deadline has passed (which it has) for withdrawal , there is no going back to college eligibility.

This situation is not w/o precedent. La'el Collins LSU OT was suspected of being involved in a homicide prior to the '15 draft. Undrafted. Suspicions withdrawn. Signed as a FA by Dallas.

• Options

See...that's what I'm talking about.

"Once a player declares for the draft, as Anderson has and the deadline has passed (which it has) for withdrawal , there is no going back to college eligibility."

That has never been challenged in court...especially under these circumstances. That NCAA rule has been in place forever. It bit Herschel Walker in the butt, in 1984, when he signed with the New Jersey Generals (USFL) as a Junior. The NFL had a rule in place at the time, that you weren't eligible for the draft until you had completed 4 yrs at the college level.

As we all know, the NCAA has basically been neutered since the Transfer Portal and NIL. The Supreme Court hasn't ruled in the NCAA's favor in quite a while. They are seeking interdiction from Congress with very little support.

Technically, he still has, what, 2 years college eligibility remaining? If he's acquitted or the "alleged victim" recants her story (which has happened), can he sue the NCAA to have his eligibility to compete in college sports restored to the point of his arrest?

Moreover, if he does sue, will the NCAA relent, considering the current impudent state of their authority over College Football? That's why I find the prospects of his acquittal interesting.

• Options

One more thing...the rule in question was to maintain the "amateur" status of college football, which was their argument to keep Walker from backing out of his commitment to the USFL. Once he signed, he be came a professional.

I think it's safe to say, the "amateur status" ship has sailed. That is what the SCOTUS ruling meant to the NCAA and College Football. So, the landscape has changed. Those rules haven't been challenged yet, but they will be at some point. It may or may not be Anderson that does it. That's all I'm sayin'.

It's interesting to note that the NCAA President of 20 years resigned today.

• Options

To declare for the draft as an underclassman is to renounce any/all remaining eligibility. It is a voluntary act by the athlete. Assuming NIL would not be in play for Anderson after this negative exposure, Anderson wouldn't want to go back to play at the college level when he could essentially be a very valuable RD 1 level, edge rusher FA. Available to all teams. Let the bidding begin.

• Options

"To declare for the draft as an underclassman is to renounce any/all remaining eligibility."

According to what rule and who enforces it?

The NCAA enacted that rule to preserve Amateurism in College Football. According to "experts" that appear on The Paul Finebaum Show from time-to-time, the NCAA has basically abandoned authority over College Football. With all of the "NIL deals" that have been reported and the Collectives that have emerged, how many NCAA Investigations have been launched? Zero.

Amateurism is a thing of the past in College Football. They're even introducing legislation in California to make College Football players, employees of the University, requiring regular payment. Each State has their own laws governing NIL and Collectives.

With all that in mind...are you still asserting that the NCAA can legally revoke a player's eligibility, simply because he says, "I want to be considered for the NFL Draft"?

If so, my response would be, "See ya in court". I believe that rule is now obsolete. It just hasn't occurred to anybody, to challenge it. Which will happen in time

As for Anderson, I'm not going to presume to know what he would do, if acquitted. I would think it depends on the timing. If he believes he can improve his NFL signing bonus and position by returning for 1 more year of college...I say, why not? He's obviously been hobbled by this incident.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope truth and justice prevail, but I know how it goes.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A flimsy case brought on by a questionable "victim" by a grand jury system that would indict anyone for anything. Keep you head up Adam. Everyone wait until this trial goes to open court where the defense is permitted to present its case. This case stunk from the moment it came out.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THought they were just after some kind of payout, but evidently not. Or does this just increase the likelihood of a bigger payout now that he's been scheduled togo to trial ? Any legal eagles in the crowd? Can the woman still refuse to testify and the case gets dropped?

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

For the idiots on here who say this was for the money: why would she claim this, knowing it will destroy his career if convicted? If it was all about the money, wait until he signed a contract She gets all the scorn from clowns like you, has to testify, etc. He’s also been accused by another student. There are rapists in the world, even ones who wear the uniform you clearly blindly love. Most other message boards say look at how UGA has distanced themselves from this guy to know whose story the school believes.