Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Florida AD: Georgia administration ‘seems committed’ to keeping Cocktail Party in Jacksonville

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageFlorida AD: Georgia administration ‘seems committed’ to keeping Cocktail Party in Jacksonville

ATHENS — Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin said the Georgia administration “seems committed” to continuing the schools’ rivalry game in Jacksonville beyond the current contract.

Read the full story here

Comments

• OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Surely CFP, NCAA or whomever really runs college football can make some waiver rules that cover this game and let the teams host players (I read somewhere that they can't right now).

• MaconDawgMaconDawg Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Hey Gators, here is a suggestion given your affection to play the Dawgs in Jacksonville - keep it there when you be the home team. And come to Athens when we are the home team. And in the spirit of King Solomon, just keep the stadiums split 50/50. Yes that would mean way too many gators in the Classic City every other year but how unique would that be? Yes, we lose some of the real home team advantage but the atmosphere would be beyond exciting. Of course the National Guard might need to be on standby to keep the peace. And if the swamp lizards won, man would there be some property destroyed tonight by them blue jean short wearing dingbats. The caveat is that we have to win!!

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL we both said pretty much the same thing. But when I posted my comment earlier, no one else had posted, yet. It showed my post as the only one. Anyway...

GO DAWGS!

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder which reason is it really about, the $$$ or the tradition? How about Athens area getting some of that finanacial impact or at least Atlanta? Either way the recruiting imbalance needs to be adjusted fairly. So the Florida AD speaks for UGA now? I don't think so.😎

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Does anyone know Scott Brooks email or where fans can write him directly to express our opinions?

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is not so much the recruits can't be hosted at the game (but the Dawg coaching staff is being allowed this year to give them tickets to the game), its that the UGA home game atmosphere and the facilities are not being able to be "shown off" by the UGA coaching staff. THAT is Coach Kirby's biggest issue ---is that he is losing a home game every other year to show recruits the "home" experience at Sanford Stadium!!

Go Dawgs!

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

Could we please get rid of conferences? The major brand names don't need them to draw eyeballs or create good matchups, and their inclusion of programs like Vandy & Rutgers at the big boy table at the exclusion of Oklahoma State & Baylor is sickening. I want to play Florida (in Jacksonville), Auburn, and Tech every year. There are another dozen teams we should play regularly (about 1/3 of the time). Then I'd like to play 3 major intersectional games a year against other big boys. Then we could pay programs like Jackson State $2 million to get another home game and give them a chance to rise. Then we could have 1 national league of about 80 teams where everybody gets a baseline amount and then the TV revenue is divided is based on eyeballs (TV ratings of your games).

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I were more tech savvy I’d post the pic of dr. Evil saying.”riiiiiight”

we don’t need no stinking gators telling us nothing

• geebee51geebee51 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Mike, most fans do not account for the opportunity cost of losing your biggest SEC home game recruiting opportunity every year. I don't think it's quite the same for the Gators based upon proximity to Gainesville. I could be wrong. But it's about UGA, not the potential impact on your opponent. It's UGA's decision.

UGA has a winning record in Jax, so it's not about fairness. It simply does not make sense to play there every single year. The money is no longer the issue. I'll bet some fans still wish we had never put lights up in Sanford Stadium. Change is inevitable acceptance is optional, or so I've heard. Get over it.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wish people would stop throwing that out there just because CKS proposed it as a "compromise." It isn't a compromise. The only ones who would benefit from this is the city of Jacksonville. Otherwise, it would be a situation that would benefit UGA greatly but would provide no real benefit to Florida. The game would lose is "guaranteed TV date" status, which is the main reason why Florida wants to keep it. And they would also not have the benefit of recruiting at home. So it is either keep it in Jacksonville every year or do home-and-home. No other option makes sense for the Gators or helps them in any way and I wish you folks would quit pretending that the CKS suggestion is a "compromise" because it isn't.

We also know officially for the first time is that the Florida administration is against it. Billy Napier isn't going to take a position because he doesn't have to: he is going to let the AD who hired him do the heavy lifting. Now the last shoe to fall is going to be Georgia's AD (and possibly the university president). Here's the deal: changing the game to a home-and-home makes absolutely no sense if Kirby Smart jumps ship to be the next head coach of the Falcons (or Tennessee, Jacksonville, Carolina, Tampa, Miami, New Orleans) in 2025 after he wins a couple more titles (he is too young to stick around college and chase guys like Paterno, Osborne, Bowden and Saban, plus he can always return to the college game just like Holtz, Harbaugh and Saban did). Who wants to be the Georgia AD/president who threw out all that tradition, all of that guaranteed revenue and a guaranteed national TV date (which it will no longer be if it moves from Jacksonville) in order to help a guy who isn't around anymore? When the entire rationale for doing so was to Kirby could sign the #2 recruiting class every year instead of the #3 recruiting class? Note: UGA is already recruiting the best defensive players by far, and only need to start throwing the ball more to improve their offensive recruiting. And no, turning UF-UGA into home-and-home isn't going to convince 5 star QBs and WRs to come to Athens and be 5th round picks. If Kirby things that he missed out on Arch Manning, Justice Haynes and top WRs because he wasn't able to fete them in Athens, then the UGA president and AD need to remind him of this thing called the NFL draft and Smart's record in it for skill positions on offense.

Of course, the simplest thing to do would be to just let the current contract expire, which would force UGA and UF to negotiate a new one. Of course, when OU and Texas enter the SEC forcing scheduling changes, UF could respond by letting the SEC office know that JUST MAYBE the Gators and the Bulldogs don't need to play each other every year after all if it isn't going to be in the Swamp ... that the game against LSU or creating a new rivalry with one of the Texas schools (UF loves playing A&M) would be better for recruiting (i.e. it would keep UGA out of Florida where they already have to contend with FSU, Miami and soon new Big 12 member UCF). And yes, that is precisely what I would do.

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Actually, the Florida AD is supposed to worry about his biggest revenue game and - with FSU in decline - his only guaranteed national TV date. Claiming otherwise is just ... oh never mind I don't want to get banned.

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

South Georgia fans is one of the reasons the game stayed in Jax.

I’d venture to say there’s plenty of hardcore fans down south whose commitment to UGA runs a lot deeper than some of the fair weather, obnoxious idiots you see tail gating on campus.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

There is No Way and I mean No Way that playing this game in Jax benefits UGA, Kirby Smart, the City of Athens, or the State Of Ga. As Much as it does UF, the UF Head Coach, the City of Jacksonville ( which according to the maps I’ve seen is in the State Of Florida) and the State Of Florida. Now these things said No it’s not just Earth Shattering Terrible for Kirby or and Dawgs Head Coach after him or his predecessors Recruiting Efforts. BUT it very much Is more beneficial to UF recruiting AND as others have already posted it Denies Kirby the opportunity to show off the brand new and Very Nice facilities at UGA. Yes, Yes I Know that UF doesn’t get to show off their facilities either, but that’s the whole WHY of the college football Facilities Wars is to show off to recruits !!! The defense of keeping it in Jax by the mud lizard trolls on here is absolutely laughable !! And Stricklin is using some of the same type tactics we see in allot of government politicians these days Lol !! If I say it often enough and loud enough that’ll make it true !! I very much Commend Kirby Smart for his efforts to get the game out of Jax and go to a home & home Just Like the rest of the Dawgs SEC Schedule year in and year out with some rare exceptions. Oh and for the record it’s not much difference from where I’m from in Ga. to Athens as it is Jacksonville. Traditions always had some starting point right ?? So what would be wrong with starting a New tradition for this game ?? A New Tradition where one year the game is played at UF and the next it’s played at Athens. Things would be absolutely Even for both schools if it were done that way. Go Dawgs !!

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

I agree, Jacksonville is more of a tourist town that survived before the GA/fla game every year. And they would survive without the game. Since the National Corrupt Athelitic Association has taken away the amateur status of college athletics by allowing athletes to be paid, it's now a pre NFL professional system. But they can't change a rule that would benefit both schools playing at a so called "neutral" site. It only benefits very few in South GA, and many in Jacksonville, and Florida. Agreed, make it home/home so the actual city UGA is located in receives those revenues. No different than driving from South GA to Jacksonville, than it is driving from say from a motel in Atlanta to Athens. If you're lucky, you could get a motel room in Athens, and have a very short path to the game by taxi, walking, or a shuttle service. Athens is by far a much nicer place than jacksonville, not even close. As far as a guaranteed tv date, who wants to watch a 3-4 or worse florida team play in a prime slot? If both teams are deserving, a tv date will happen. Regardless of the location.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Would you expect the Florida AD to say something different?! The guy that's puckering up now is Greg McGarity with all the talk of the game moving.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh and to my fellow DAWGS fans here Not the mud lizard trolls I don’t care about your opinion. Note how the UGA AD made No Comment after Stricklin made his Proclamation Lol !! Like I said in my other post Stricklin is using some of the same tactics that many politicians are doing, If I said it Often enough and Loud enough it must be True Lol !! Also he’s using the old embarrassment tool, like (his saying to the UGA AD) if the UGA AD decides a home UGA & home UF scenario, Brother, Brother I thought we were on the same page ??!!?? Brother why are you doing this ?? It’s an attempt to TRY to cause embarrassment for the UGA AD should he do the Right Thing and pull the game from Jax !! If you listen to the mud lizard trolls here using their Lol “logic” when we’re scheduled to play TN every year why not play them in Memphis or Nashville Every year ?? I mean Both of those towns have allot to offer. And when we’re scheduled to play SC every year play the game in Charleston Every year, etc. etc. etc. I DONT CARE how nice those towns are !! Nothing about playing TN every year in Nashville or Memphis would be beneficial to UGA in recruiting. Same for playing SC at Charleston, there would be Nothing in that for UGA recruiting. Nothing. Where as if these games are played in Athens every other year then that’s an opportunity to show off the facilities at UGA and let recruits and their families get that One Of A Kind feeling of being in Sanford Stadium watching our beloved Dawgs play Between The Hedges !! It’s the Same Thing with playing the mud lizards in Jacksonville, FLORIDA. OK let me get off this soap box. Go Dawgs !!