Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Undefined discussion subject.

2»

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

There is no QB controversy and there won't be. Last year UGA had another QB that some (half?) fans thought could take them further than SBIV. They don't have that this year. It is SBIV or bust.

And most if not all UGA fans think SBIV is a good player and like his moxie. Is he an elite player? Or did his elite teammates help make him more effective? SBIV overthrew LMcConkey last week. Off his fingertips. Why? Because he didn't have GPickens laying out and making a circus catch like he did in the CFBCG. BBowers made a spectacular circus catch for a TD vs SC a couple of weeks ago on a fade (50/50) route. It was almost as great a catch as the one he made vs MI in the CFBPO 1st rd game last season. AD Mitchell has been out. Remember the TD catch AD made in the CFBCG pictured above? 6'4" AD outmuscled and outfought the smaller freshman DB from AL on a 50/50 ball.

The point is SBIV is a good player, But his elite teammates (something JTD's doesn't have at WVU for those comparing apples and oranges) have made great plays for him. SBIV's struggles with accuracy have been covered up to a degree by elite teammates making elite plays. That needs to be fixed if UGA is to win the SEC and make another run.

My suggestion to Monken is to call plays for SBIV to take deeper drops. That way SBIV can see over the OL and see (and use) the middle of the field. Right now he is not using the whole field. Slot KJackson (the guy CR said would lead the team in receiving) has all but completely disappeared. UGA OL has pass blocked better than run blocked. Deeper drops also allows SBIV to utilize his renowned running and scrambling ability. By using the whole field SBIV won't see D's stacked for the WR/TE screens and McIntosh out of the backfield.

Also get CBeck or another QB ready in case SBIV gets more than "dinged up". IF SBIV does in fact have a dinged up throwing shoulder then playing him deep into the 4th Q of blowout games is insane.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20 Yeah, not sure where the story says anything about a controversy. People hear and see what they want, it seems.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the first time this season(well maybe second) I questioned if CKS should pull SB and put in Beck just to see if he could spark the offense early on. Something by the way I NEVER thought I would ever think. I have touted SB almost as much as some on here but he hasn't looked good, at all, for awhile now. Not for a 5th or 6th year QB with the 2nd or 3rd ranked team in the nation with lots of experience and a NC win at this point. We beat Missou and Auburn because they didn't have Qb's capable of beating us. That won't always be the case.

I watched Bryce Young make Arkansas look like their defense didn't even show up. It was sooo easy. SB hasn't done that to any team since Oregon. I hope he gets better sooner than later.