Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia midseason report card: Offense passing test, defense proves fast study

SystemSystem Posts: 10,523 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia midseason report card: Offense passing test, defense proves fast study

ATHENS — Georgia football hasn’t had all the answers in each game this season, but Kirby Smart knew there were going to be some growing pains in 2022.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetson gets a B-, really? How can you rate Stetson lower than his receivers? He's not Reggie Ball throwing to Calvin Johnson. He should be rated no lower than the lowest rating of his receivers.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The QB's got a B- and the Receivers got a C+. What are we missing?

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Another meaningless article - who gives rats a$$. The article is devoid of meaningful analysis to justify the ratings; therefore, it is merely one reporters biased opinion. I rate the reporter as C minus — and that is being generous

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

@MikeGriffithI enjoyed this article. I think I would push all the defensive categories up a 1/2 a grade or two. While the TFLs are few, the defense is top 2 or 3 in the SEC in almost all defensive categories. See this link:

2022 Southeastern Conference Team Defense | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

More impactful than TFLs I think are forced turnovers. UGA is low compared to the rest of the SEC - #10

I think offense in general deserves higher grades. Currently in SEC: least turnovers, least penalties, most first downs, #3 total yards/play, #4 avg yards/rush, #3 points/game; #3 pass pct., #3 passing yards/game, etc.. In most of these, there isn't much spread between #1 and #3.

The next 4 games will (obviously) tell a lot about UGA. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Generally agree with the grades. We've got to really improve on the both sides of the ball at the line of scrimmage to have a chance of making it to the playoffs. If we don't then I see at least one loss in November.

I'm still trying to figure out this Georgia team. Having a hard time finding its identity. Wondering which team shows up each Saturday. We'll all know what kind of grit, determination, skill, and resilience this team truly has by Thanksgiving.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Defensive line C+??

*They (DL) are 4th in the country in rush defense.

*The defense is 3rd in the country in total defense.

*8th in the country in pass defense.

*2nd in the country in points allowed.

All of that looks pretty **** good to me, not sure what you are watching........it doesn't matter how many tackles you have for a loss, what matters most is the end result. All of the above plays together......C+ is ridiculous.

Nothing wrong with being critical, just get it right if you want to do it.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Off topic but there is a video circulating on TikToc of JErmaine Burton reaching out and striking a female Tenn fan who looks like she talked a little smack in passing after the game Saturday in all the hoopla as he was walking off the field. It wasn't a hard smack but certainly something he had no business doing.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2022

Because SB IV misfired on a ton of throws during the "Kent State until the 4th quarter of Auburn" stretch. And because even in the games that he plays well in the gameplan is still obviously designed to avoid more difficult passes, which makes the WRs and TEs individually less effective and allows the defense to ignore those areas of the field and commit defense resources elsewhere (like stopping the run).

So while you say that SB IV is not Reggie Ball throwing to Calvin Johnson ... at least Johnson put up numbers with Ball. This IS NOT the case with UGA this season as through 7 games no UGA WR or TE has 30 receptions, 400 receiving yards or 3 TDs, and only Bowers and McConkey have 300 receiving yards. As for the RBs, no one has 350 yards and only Edwards has 300. As for the WRs specifically, aside from McConkey no one is getting 2 catches a game. Kearis Jackson and Dominick Blaylock have 20 receptions, 292 yards and 1 TD combined. Remember: Jackson is a starter, Blaylock is supposed to be the veteran off the bench who plays all 3 WR positions and will start in Jackson's spot next year.

The whole "we are spreading it around to keep everyone involved" thing to explain this is specious. UGA has no more elite talent at WR/TE and RB than other ranked teams, especially contenders. That isn't the reason why UGA has no one among the top 100 pass catchers (Bowers is tied with 3 guys at 104) or rushers (Edwards is 130). Even worse when you consider that most teams have only played 6 games to UGA's 7.

Yes Bennett is #10 in passing yards - for now, a bunch of guys who have only played 6 games will pass him this weekend - but saying "he should be rated no lower than the lowest rating of his receivers" is really choosing to exist in a different reality. Instead, it is really easy to conclude that Brock Bowers, Darnell Washington, Kearis Jackson, Dominick Blaylock, Kendall Milton and Kenny McIntosh would all have (much) better numbers in a more traditional offense designed around a more traditional QB.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No mention of Kearis Jackson under Receivers is telling. A strong, quick, reliable-catching senior (i.e., fully capable) not getting the ball is a problem. And I suspect it has less to do with him than it does Monken and/or Bennet. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow!!! I know your comment was a little off topic, but I searched to see what happened and Burton clearly smacked the Vol fan. You can see her turn around afterwards in disbelief. Based on all the attention on the internet it looks like we will be hearing more about this in the days to come. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MG continues to mention the 13 transfers. Okay. Consider this. UGA is currently at the 85 scholarship limit. UGA added zero transfers.

So what does that tell you? It tells me that UGA needed to have 13 players transfer to make the 85 limit. Almost w/o exception, UGA NEEDED 13 players who did not progress as expected to transfer to make room for the numbers and potential of another top 3 recruiting class.

Yes it would've been nice if Burton returned. Other than that EVERYBODY that left has been replaced with a better player with a higher upside and more remaining eligibility.

THAT's why the drop off from last year to this year has not been as great as some expected.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could be wrong but it looks to me like the offense(passing attack) has been simplified as the season has progressed and not the other way around. i don't know what to attribute it to, maybe a combination of several factors, the injuries to Smith and Mitchell, to some degree McConkey(turf toe)and SB 's sore shoulder. Most painful throw would be the deep ball, been a while hasn't it?

What we see now are a lot of basically short handoffs that count as a completed passes and quick outs/WR screens, check downs to the RB. A few tosses to Bowers and Washington, and an occassional over the middle pass to a Jackson or JAck-saint.

What we don't see is the WR slants over the middle like Tennessee and BAMA run over and over again where their receivers are running uncovered often it seems. WIth SB's height I don't think he can throw that pass without it getting batted down, although Bryce Young who is the same height does so effectively? Wonder if BAMA has particular O-Line blocking schemes designed to open lanes for him?

COuldn't help but notice the pass routes seemed to open up more when Beck was in Saturday.