Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia midseason report card: Offense passing test, defense proves fast study

2»

Comments

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with Mike's grades, for the most part. I think of all the players on defense, I'm most disappointed in Robert Beal. I thought as a senior, he would ball-out this year, but he's been virtually invisible, despite the fact that he's a starter. On offense, that designation goes to Tate Ratledge, which was duly noted by Mike. I would, however, disagree somewhat with @UGADad20 suggestion that EVERYBODY who transferred was replaced by "a better player with a higher upside." They were replaced by the players who happened to remain; it doesn't necessarily mean the guys who stayed are better. For example, I believe that had he stayed, Jalen Kimber would be starting over Kamari Lassiter. And, in my opinion, there's a very good chance that had he stayed, Otis Reese would be starting over Christopher Smith or Javon Bullard. And I have zero doubt that Jermaine Burton would be starting for us this year if he were here; he might even be more productive than he has been at 'Bama. Just because a player transfers from Georgia doesn't mean that he did so because he didn't think he would get to play had he stayed. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, very balanced grades. Both O and D lines have had their moments of greatness mixed with seemingly "swiss cheese".

I just wish Smart would allow Beck to play more when Bennett has his "off" games. There's nothing wrong with putting Beck in for a couple of series.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GoodOlDawg @ 8:36 am,

A bit of a mistake on my part. The TE's got an "A" but the guy throwing to them gets a "B-". How can you rate a QB lower than his receivers and, a TE is an eligible receiver. I made a mistake initially because I misread the grade for the wideouts. At the very least, Stetson is a strong "B+"

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

Otis Reese? Otis Reese was long gone before '22. He transferred in '20 after claiming racist treatment at UGA/Athens and manipulation by CKS. Reese is a S not a Star (Bullard). CSmith is on a few preseason AA and All SEC teams. Reese over MStarks? No. TSmith was a 2nd team AA before his injuries. He is regaining his health and starting to look really good. He replaced OReese in the S/Star room.

JKimber is still 170 lbs. And running 3rd team at FU. He was outworked and outplayed by the bigger Lassiter. Bigger Everette has proven better as well. Singletary and Humphry are close behind with higher ceilings and 4 more years of eligibility.

As I said "outside of Burton", everyone has been replaced more than adequately with a player with more remaining eligibility. BTW, Burton is being investigated today for an incident while leaving the field vs TN.

"A video posted on TikTok showed Burton thrusting his right arm toward the woman’s head as she celebrated the Volunteers’ upset win, after she appeared to dance in front of his path. She could be seen holding her head while looking back at Burton afterward."

For every transfer you would've kept someone else would've had to go to reach the 85 limit.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hear your perspective but would argue that tightends do tons that has nothing to do with the QB. Carries, blocking, route running etc. maybe this is just a big picture grade and not on pass catching alone.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

a couple things to point out….

1. If you go back and watch teams have done much more to stop the pass/TE’s than they have to stop the run. So the devoting resources elsewhere due to our game plan doesn’t hold water. It sounds like you know what you’re talking about to casual reader; but if they know football… they know you’re very very. wrong. On the reps/games where we struggle to run Tate Rateledge namely but often another member of the OLine is getting their ass whipped. Period. Kirby even tried to tell you that but sounds like you didn’t wanna listen.
    2. Who cares who is getting the receptions? Stetson is already at 2000+ passing and is on pace to break Aaron Murray’s UGA most passing yard in a season record assuming we go to the playoffs and/or the SECCG.

We just about demoralize every team we play. We are a double digit favorite the rest of the season. Number 1 in the nation and the favorite to win the CFP on most sports books.

You really would do better to just comment that you dislike Stetsons playing style, can’t respect his abilities or the coaches decisions and feel like we would play a style of offense (one you like more) if he wasn’t our QB. Lmao.

I was very put out with him after Mizzou/Auburn too; but then I thought back to how crazy I thought Kirby was before UAB last year and how genius I thought he was when he hoisted that trophy in January. Stets ok, the teams ok, it’s all ok man. I’m sure the offense will evolve to your liking eventually. It is making strides each year.