Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

‘Survival Saturday’ brings more clarity to College Football Playoff picture

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
image‘Survival Saturday’ brings more clarity to College Football Playoff picture

ATHENS — It was “Survival Saturday” in the race for the College Football Playoffs, and all that mattered was getting the “W.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article, Mike!

Appreciate you putting some clarity to the playoff picture.

And thanks for not entertaining Bama’s chances!

Go Dawgs! Hate on Everybody!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well done and helpful, Mike.

Tennessee may be ranked in the top 10 this week (or not), but they have to feel like they are in a rapidly falling hot air balloon. Even making out with their cousins can't stop their anguish. The Vanderbilt team we have recently seen knows it can beat Tennessee with a superlative effort and a smidgeon of luck.

Georgia Tech might be feeling much the same way. Kirby & Company have their work cut out for them this week.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The CFP committee has made it clear there is great value placed on winning conference championship games..."

No they don't! They've made it very clear that a conference game is just a game. If that were the case, there would only be 1 SEC team in the playoffs and the committee would indicate that the loser immediately gets eliminated. Last I checked, we didn't win the SEC last year. Tenn was poised to move into the playoffs before they got their asses beat and they won't play in the SEC game. LSU may wind up in the Top 4 with a win against us, but that's more of weakness the top 5 teams yesterday.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike did you think you'd ever see Beamer - passing deep in the last 2-minutes with a big lead - with intentions of running it up on another SEC team?

I think that was a message sent by Beamer and supported by the rest of the SEC coaches.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SmartsTheMan That's what will happen to Tennessee when they are on the other end of games --- Vols style of play comes with its costs.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dunno if I'd call TCU a "team of destiny". More like the opposite. Their schedule was originally supposed to be brutal but all of those opponents have fizzled out.

#8 Oklahoma State will be unranked after a 4th loss

#18 Oklahoma is unranked after 5 losses

#18 Texas is unranked after 4 losses

#19 Kansas is unranked after 5 losses

That leaves their only ranked win with #15 Kansas State.

A one point win against a 5 loss Baylor team would be enough for me to think that maybe they just aren't that good.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@kirkhilles Your point is taken, but when teams that aren't "that good" keep finding ways to win -- sometimes in dramatic fashion -- there's something to be said for that. TCU is quickly becoming America's Underdog.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, Tech is feeling its oats after that convincing win over a ranked NC team. The better Tech looks, the better UGA looks with a big win.

Good job, Mike.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True and you gotta love the Techies chanting yesterday at the end of their game, “we want Georgia, we want Georgia……” Bless their little hearts 😉. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My favorite part of the UT vs SC game was the Gamecocks scoring their final TD with several minutes to go. I’m sure the Missouri fans were loving it after the classless display of sportsmanship by UT last week when they clearly ran up the score on the Tigers with seconds left in the game. What goes around comes around. Love it!!! Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Hooker's noncontact injury was as bad as he looked laying on the ground, Tennessee may lose to Vandy, hate it for Hooker, but that loss to the SC Gamecocks looked like Karma, from the Missouri game last week.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article and I’m sure (and it’s been stated before) no one shed any tears for UT getting 63 hung on them with the last 7 coming at the very end of the game. After watching UT try and humiliate Mizzou last week, I’m sure there were many people hoping to see the same fate for the orange. And by the way, those UT helmets were U G L Y and should be tucked away never to be seen again.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

Caleb Williams and Spencer Rattler put on a clinic yesterday against opposing defenses. It was a marvel to watch even though we may never see it again. But, I am hoping Rattler puts on another clinic next week against the Tigers. I do not want to see an undeserving Clemson in the playoffs.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dobermans of Neyland turn into nothing but neutered mutts when faced with a hostile environment. I can’t call LSU “hostile” playing at 11:00 after an off week.

Tennessee ever being ranked ahead of UGA shows just how expert the “experts” are that comprise the playoff committee. For the most part, they are nothing more than a bunch of administrator bean counters.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

What a weird Saturday....so many ranked teams just avoiding an upset. Yet Tennessee got completely destroyed by the Gamecocks. And it wasn't even close.

• Options
    fanchmanfanchman Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

Yes, Georgia lost in the SEC Championship last year and still made the playoffs, but there were no other Conference Champions outside the top four with one loss or less. I believe Georgia showed they were unequivocally better then the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 Champions. That is a criteria that allows them to bypass a Conference Champion.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022

Looks like UGA is in the CFP regardless. The other three spots are still up for grabs.