Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN expert ‘Michigan has really strong case for No. 1′ in College Football Playoff Rankings

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageESPN expert ‘Michigan has really strong case for No. 1′ in College Football Playoff Rankings

ATHENS — It seems momentum is mounting for Michigan to replace Georgia as the No. 1 team in the CFP rankings, as evidenced by a tweet from ESPN expert Heather Dinich.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like was said, it only matters when it comes to where we end up playing. Putting the Dawgs at #2 doesn't really matter, and we could debate this ad nauseum. But, I will say this: This is NOT the same Michigan team that we beat last year in the playoffs. They are better, have better weapons, and McCarthy is a better QB. Heck, they stomped Ohio State without their #1 RB in Corum for 99% of the game. Instead, Donovan Edwards ran all over the Buckeyes for 216 yards. Our defense is definitely better than Ohio State's, so I don't anticipate playing the Wolverines with the same outcome.

Personally, I'd like to see us play USC. Anywhere, anytime.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"it only matters when it comes to where we end up playing. Putting the Dawgs at #2 doesn't really matter"

You were right the first time. Seeding matters because it determines where we'll play. There's not much debate to be had about that.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Montana as usual for you, you have really good, well thought out comments. And I agree I do think this is a tougher Michigan team. But what sort of crawls up the back of my neck is Heather Dinich was one of the first Nay Sayers about UGA last year. Well that got slammed right back to her Lol !! The Truth is many in the media and the “experts” want SO Terribly bad for Michigan, or Ohio St. or Notre Dame to win the Natty !! Especially Ohio St. Well they already chocked. So now the media and experts turn to Michigan. I believe the Truth is they were already sick to death of Saban & Bama then the Dawgs yet another SEC school ( Keep in mind LSU won it recently to) won it and secretly or not so their saying “Oh No Another SEC School” referring to last year. So flash forward to Now and the Dawgs are poised to potentially do it again !!! Man it’s making them nauseated !!! SO all this said the Dawgs have GOT to tend to business in a very Solid score/method as a Loss or possibly even a close score would be damaging to the Dawgs, at least to these folks. Wouldn’t it be to cool for school if the Dawgs won it yet again and put a Big pie in their eye Lol ??!!?? 😀

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

So did Tennessee and we see how that turned out. I’d love if Michigan was #1. More fuel for Kirby’s fire!

• Options

Hopefully by the time we get to the playoffs we will have some Dawgs back at 100%. Most notably AD Mitchell. He gives the Dawgs More Of a legitimate down field threat and No that’s not a knock on A. Smith, McConkey, or Blaylock or any of our other pass catchers. It’s just that AD fully healthy will be yet another weapon. Also hopefully we have a couple of guys on the Defense that are currently dinged up that will be back. Sure gonna miss Noland Smith going forward. That guy was a gamer and a in field coach. He’s Already missed. SO like Kirby is preaching focus on playing LSU and let everything else fall into its own place. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Some really good analysis by DN posters in response to this article... I particularly liked the FBS opponents piece. Very informative.

There is zero doubt in my mind Michigan is much better than last year, and arguably playing at the top of their game. UGA is probably a different mix from last year, on balance equal or better, yet arguably NOT playing at the top of their game. If both schools play at the top of their game (in a prospective matchup), there's no question in my mind who comes out on top. However, if one or the other is even modestly below peak, the other most likely wins. Regardless, it's a game I'd like to see :)

As far as Heather D goes, I think she's a pretty darn good football mind, and one who I don't think holds a lot of bias over the past years. While I realize she tweeted "Will Georgia really still be No. 1?", I'm pretty sure her intent was to be provocative, not state a position. At the bottom of her article on-line, her own Top 4 has Georgia #1, as do all but one of her colleagues'.

Even though it doesn't mean a ton, I'm eager to hear the debate on the broadcast this evening!

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited November 2022
  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO...if they swap UGA and MICH in the polls, it's because they expect another SEC Team or BIG10 Team to come in @ #4. They don't want any rematches if they can help it.

EXAMPLE: UGA vs TEN/LSU....or, OSU vs MICH.

If they guess wrong this week...they can fix it Sunday. No problem.

I don't think the Dawgs have anything to worry about, so..."it don't confront me"....George Thorogood.---"1 whiskey, one scotch and 1 beer", lol.

• Options

Shipmate !! My Brother !! Citing Ole George T. “When I drink alone I prefer to be by myself” Lol !! Hope your doing Great !! From Me & My Family to You and Yours we Wish Y’all a Great PostSeason and a Very Merry Christmas !! Let’s hope Kirby will be bringing us Another National Title on his sleigh !! And all the media, experts, and other schools will be going Ho!! Ho!! Ho!! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Michigan is #1 and USC loses to Utah, then you will probably have a rematch between Michigan and Ohio State (who moves up to #4). I don't think the committee wants this scenario to unfold.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“ATHENS — It seems momentum is mounting for Michigan to replace Georgia as the No. 1 team in the CFP rankings……”

If that happens in a few moments, it will be undoubtedly because #3 Michigan knocked of #2 OSU. Their non conference opponents will no longer matter to the committee. The question is, when UGA knocks off LSU in a much tougher matchup than Michigan and Purdue, do they move UGA back into the #1 spot?

GO DAWGS!