Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

College Football Playoff drama building: Stubborn Rose Bowl, Tennessee fans on fire

SystemSystem Posts: 7,419 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageCollege Football Playoff drama building: Stubborn Rose Bowl, Tennessee fans on fire

ATHENS — Life at the top continued for Georgia football with the release of the penultimate CFP rankings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want to see the Dawgs play USC.

Rose Bowl needs to be booted out of the discussion if they are the last roadblock to early expansion. Good grief.

TN fans need to get over their whining....they blew it against us and got annihilated by South Carolina. Bama had close losses and deserves to be ahead of you with Hooker out.

Can't wait to get to 12 teams....then I hope it expands even further.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As much as a UGA/USC Peach Bowl seems likely, I would prefer TCU everyday of the week. I think both teams are beatable, but why play a game against a potential Heisman winning QB and receivers like Addison and Williams if you don’t have to?

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Spdawg...exactly why I want to play USC - Caleb Williams and his receivers. I want to see how our defense responds, and I want to see Stet and the offense have to score TDs and keep up. I want hard matchups and tougher opponents. I don't want the easiest way to the Championship. I also want a different kind of opponent. As much as I like Max Duggen and TCU (my 2nd choice of opponent if not USC), I think we can dominate the Frogs if we play up to our capability.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How in the heck will the Rose Bowl succeed without any of the Top 12 teams due to the future playoffs and still have their traditional match-up between the Big 10 and PAC 12? This year alone they would miss out on (based on last night’s CFP rankings): Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Utah and Washington. That would leave them with a match-up between #15 Oregon State and an unranked Big10 team like Purdue. My money says the Rose Bowl will cave and agree to terms with the playoffs, but they are in California so who has a clue as to what they will do. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2022
    1. UGA fan with the "we want USC" thing ... you actually don't want to see UGA's secondary against the #1 overall draft pick in 2024 (Williams), the first WR to be drafted in 2023 (Addison) supported by what will be the best OL that UGA has played against (Oregon was the only truly good OL that UGA has played this year, and remember UGA had no sacks in that game). Williams isn't as good as Deshaun Watson - even if thanks to playing for USC instead of Clemson he will get the Heisman that Watson never got - but he is still good enough to give Kirby Smart the sort of nightmares that Watson gave him in the 2015 title game, during which Smart's Alabama defense gave up 40 points. Are you certain that Bennett's offense can score 45? It would be better for you to play a much less talented TCU team constructed almost entirely from 3 star recruits, and then let Michigan - who has constructed their entire program around beating an Ohio State team that is very similar to USC - take the Trojans down on your behalf. Then you can boatrace Michigan - who matches up poorly to UGA - like you did in 2021.
    2. TN fans' whining is deserved. Not only did they beat Alabama head to head, but they hammered the LSU team that also beat Alabama. Bama's two best wins were over the 8-4 Mississippi schools. And they needed referee help to beat 8-4 Texas and 5-7 A&M (and Ole Miss fans claim that the refs jobbed them also ... I didn't see that game so I won't judge). Yes, Tennessee was crushed by UGA and South Carolina. Those were ... two teams that Alabama didn't play. We have tons of evidence that UGA would beat Bama. And as the east was CLEARLY stronger this year than the SEC West - recall that LSU barely got by 6-6 Florida, it seriously went down to the last drive of the game - I am not 100% certain that Alabama would have beaten the Spencer Rattler that showed up at the end of the season against Tennessee and Clemson either (he threw 11 of his 16 TDs in his last 4 games, indicating that he had finally learned SC's pro style offense after spending his entire high school and college career up until this season in spread offenses).
    3. If anything, this year proves why a playoff expansion is a horrible idea. If either TCU or USC loses this weekend, there won't even be FOUR teams truly worthy of a playoff spot, let alone 6, 8 or 12.
  • Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh dear lord, Rose Bowl, please hold strong! Expansion is 100% not in the best interest of CFB and there is certainly no need to rush it for 2024.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 216 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tennessee would be annihilated by every top ten team without Hooker.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I'm a player not on a CFP team or going to the NFL, then just give me a bowl game in warm, sunny FL or CA. No one remembers your final ranking, anyways. Might as well have some fun and get rewarded for a good season. Only media talking heads care about the matchups.

• Options
    OldJeepBobOldJeepBob Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Edits (since no one on the sending end does; feel free to raise those I miss):

"penultimate" rankings. Not so, that would be he one Sunday.

"recency bias". I cannot even figure what this was supposed to be?? Recently??

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BubbaBill I'm with you, -- now that USC and UCLA are headed to the Big Ten, the Rose Bowl has lost its luster in a major way

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tennessee fans complaining? Hello! It’s Tennessee! Next year when the Vols are 6 and 6 they will be complaining that they deserve to go to Shreveport rather than Birmingham.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2022

The thing with tennessee is this, they lost (with hooker playing) by 14 to us. They lost to South Carolina by 25 (also with hooker playing for most of the game). So I see the "we beat them argument", but when they lost they lost horribly. Bama lost by 4 combined points. Just my opinion though.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Even though there might not be back room handshakes in the CFB Committee Hotel, the folks on the committee already have biased built into their decisions. Most have ties to universities with boosters who have already expressed their desires. Rankings will only be as fair as the games force the committee to be. Take care of business and do it well all you dirty Dawgs. And a decisive SECC win will keep the chatter down—all other rankings are just noise.

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Penultimate means next to last. Recency means the state of being recent. In fairness, recency is a word I'd never heard until the last week, and spellcheck on this website is not recognizing it.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"The recency effect is a cognitive bias in which those items, ideas, or arguments that came last are remembered more clearly than those that came first. It is also applied to easily remembering something that has happened recently, compared to something that may have occurred a while ago."

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

If they are actually in danger of being shut out of the 12-team expansion as Mike G. suggests, then I agree wholeheartedly with your post.....that they will give in.

Question is: could the purveyors of the 12-team expansion "cave" instead and acquiesce to the Rose Bowl demands of remaining in their traditional time slot on New Year's day (if the scheduling of such could be worked out), so that their parade can also be performed, in order to have the expansion occur sooner?

Interesting times.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Montana my Bro. ask thadec if he recalls when UGA played Baker Mayfield and the Sooners ?? The vast majority of “experts” had our Dawgs losing that game Before it was played. And…..well you know. So according to thadec Kirby and our Dawgs are supposed to be just utterly terrified of USC Lol ?? One of the Many reasons that Kirby has been so successful is he has Embraced, Not Shied away from, strong non-conference rivals early in the schedule like with Clemson and Oregon. Kirby and his Coaching Staff and our Dawgs will not be Intimidated by ANY team. And he’s already beat a Heisman Winner just last year ( if my poor memory serves Baker Mayfield was to ??). So once again thadec “the troll” comments are laughable. Dude hates the Dawgs so much. He’s praying hard for a loss. Oh and WHEN we played TN, once again Before the game was actually played the “experts” and probably thadec had us Losing that one to. And……well you know. MY attitude is Now and Has been I’m gonna BELIEVE in the Dawgs I Love So Much until they Actually lose on the field of play. The “experts” in preseason had the Dawgs losing At Least one game, more than apt Two, possibly even Three !! And…….well you know. Moral of the story, NEVER count Kirby and the Dawgs out until the final score on the score board shows time has expired and they have lost !! COULD the Dawgs lose ?? Well of course they could !! 12 different teams have had the opportunity to hand them a Loss. LSU gets that opportunity this Sat. But For Me, I’m gonna Believe in our Dawgs all the way until I SEE them lose !! Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades !! What I’ve been preaching All season and much to the ire of Some that come here. The slow and sloppy starts are Scary and Frustrating, but speaking For Me even in those I have and I will Believe that Kirby and our Dawgs will find a way to win !! Hope You and family have a Great Post season and wish you a Merry Christmas !!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

thadec originally called himself "a casual college football fan". He is more full of it than anyone on here. A Bama fan who cannot stop hating on UGA. And it backfires over and over and over as UGA just wins. So yes bring on USC and Bama and everyone you think will beat UGA, you casual fan. You have ZERO credibility thadec. A joke and should be ignored by everyone. Laughable. He is here for ONE REASON. To stop us from enjoying the ride. Maybe a plant to get more comments and clicks?