Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Brock Bowers makes more Georgia football history, wins Mackey Award

2»

Comments

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

I hold no animosity towards Dinich, none at all. Criticism is part of the equation that comes with choosing a career as a reporter. I agree with some of what Dinich says, but not always, same with any reporter. I'm sure there are others who feel the same as I do, and those who don't agree with my opinion. As the old saying goes.." You can please some of the people some of the time. But you'll never please all of the people all of the time"..GoDAWGS!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well deserved...Congrats Brock!!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ESPN, IMHO tries to drive up the ratings in the bigger markets by coddling to the bigger market teams. like the YAnks, what have they done in recent memory, but at times it's all you hear about, or the Dodgers even moreso, they haven't won in 3 years.

I happened to catch(I don't watch ESPN unless it has something to do with UGA or an SEC game) just too political, but a few days ago they had a round table discussion maybe 5 pundits about the Playoffs and who would win. One guy was really high on Ohio St. beating UGA and playing Michigan. No one that I recall offered any rebuttal. On the other hand I think every guy on the SEC Nation picked UGA to win the Natty, even the Fla guy and Spikes. Now I guess it could be said that the SEC guys are homers and the guy at ESPN was a genius.but this isn't the 1st , 2nd, or 3rd time this type of disrespect has taken place concerning the Dawgs!

• StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

Simply the best. After witnessing first hand Bowers snag a pass from Bennett last season vs Ga Tech and run 77 yards for a TD right past 5 defenders, knew this guy was special.

"an ESPN expert had predicted the Fighting Irish player would win the award." An ESPN expert??? That's pretty funny.....

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I may be right that Todd Monken should have won the Broyles Award, But it's not a coincidence that just about every other Dawg fan feels the same way, while every TCU fan believes their guy deserved it.

It's also not a coincidence every Georgia fan knows Kirby should have won SEC COY, while every Vols fan is certain that the writers got it right in giving the award to Heupel.

But to us Georgia fans, those very same writers did get it right when they named Broderick Jones All-SEC. That time, it was the coaches who were biased against UGA by leaving Jones of the team. At the same time, the coaches were correct in naming Warren McLendon to their first team. Translation: The more honors for Bulldogs, the more correct and unbiased the judges must be!

And the refs? Why is it that they always rob our team -- no matter which team our team is?

You see where I'm going with this. Our views are skewed. The fanbase of any school is biased. And we're certainly more biased on average than are the ESPN pundits and most other national sports journalists.

If you polled 100 Ohio State fans, 98 would say Stroud deserves the Heisman. TCU fans all know Duggan earned it. But Caleb Williams is going to win it -- and rightfully so, according to 99.9999 percent of USC fans.

I don't feel sorry for ESPN writers and pundits. Herbstreit, Pollack and probably even Dinich make a lot of money talking and writing about the greatest sport on God's green Earth. Looks like fun.

At a certain level, though, accusations from all sides of bias must make the journalists' jobs kind of thankless: They have their own biases - some worse than others. They try hard to get it right -- some more than others. But, no matter what they do, they're always going to be accused of having it out for team X, Y & Z by the fans of teams X, Y & Z.

We feel passionately for our team. After all, "fan" is short for "fanatic." It's natural for us to mistake our own biases for objectivity, and therefore to think that someone who's more balanced is biased against us. When someone who's supposed to be objective -- a journalist or a TV "analyst" or worst of all a ref -- displays even a hint of bias, we tend to feel wronged. The fact that sometimes we're right about being wronged just reinforces those suspicions, which sometimes grow into anger.

I aspire to be that person who takes a deep breath, puts things in perspective and recognizes that, one, I'm still driven by own biases, and two, that other people are doing as best they can at their jobs.

That doesn't change the fact that I still know that Monken and Smart should've won those coaching awards. And there ain't no Horned Frog or Volunteer or Gamecock or whatever that is gonna ever convince me otherwise!

@navydawg: Just to be clear, I wasn't being critical -- just stream of consciousness in response to what you wrote, my friend! Sorry to go on so long!