Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

No snowflakes allowed here....

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was just wasting time, surfing on you tube for dobro videos and I came across this. I loved the old show Kung Fu and having coached athletes for several decades have always been interested in physical preparation. This video has some remarkable (at least to me) pictures/clips of training. It is about 20' long so you may not want to watch the whole thing, but it's interesting to see what is possible for people to do when motivation is present. Would love to hear any thoughts.

(209) Nobody can beat a Shaolin Master and that's why - YouTube

Comments

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow. That kind of dedication and discipline has to be admired. I bet Stetson could take em.

It also reminded me of this.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Meh....great acrobats, not so great fighters. There are plenty of videos of these guys getting their butts handed to them in actual fights. Most of that stuff they do doesn't translate to street fighting or even MMA style fights. I have always considered Shaolin Monks as a something on par with circus performers. Yes, they are amazing athletes. But it's a gimmick.

• donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was mostly struck by their athleticism and training methods. I'm sure most of them never would fight in a cage for $.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • OldSchoolPupOldSchoolPup Posts: 265 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"No snowflakes allowed here"

are you allowed to block certain mods from a thread?!

Also, pgjackson is correct. I am no fighter but as a former collegiate wrestler and current bjj guy (2 stripe white for life) I know I have a ton of limitations but I feel pretty confident vs any guy within 30lbs of me. Including your average monk