Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart shares first thoughts on transfer wide receivers RaRa Thomas, Dominic Lovett

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart shares first thoughts on transfer wide receivers RaRa Thomas, Dominic Lovett

ATLANTA — While Georgia is squarely focused on beating Ohio State this week, head coach Kirby Smart did take some time during Monday’s College Football Playoff press conference to discuss two new additions to the 2023 team that will help the Georgia Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m really excited about these 2 receivers joining our team. Kirby likely recognizes talented receivers more than any coach in the Country because of his expertise in coaching defenses and defensive backs. He coached against these guys this past season and knows our defense struggled covering both of them. In fact, very few opponents did a better job against us than these (former) Missouri and Mississippi State WRs. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And still, no one has said a word about Cottrell. I know the rules won't allow Kirby to say anything, but I was hoping some enterprising reporter, say @JeffSentell, might hit up the kid and ask him directly what the heck is going on. Same for the offensive lineman, Merriweather. I honestly don't expect either one to be a Dawg at this point, but it would be nice to know what's up with them.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

Read between the lines - Kirby got two WRs in the portal….

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

@DallasDawg

Raymond Cottrell has given indications that he still intends to sign with UGA but "cannot" right now. Refuses to say why. We are free to speculate, but that is all that it would be. I just want to point out that technically last Wednesday was early signing day and the actual signing day isn't until February.

Now I will go ahead and speculate: I am certain that it is a numbers deal. UGA didn't find out that Podlesny was entering the draft until today, but sadly the ESD deadline was Friday. There are some other guys who will enter the draft if they play well during the playoff and hear positive returns from the evaluation service that the NFL provides to draft-eligible players. There are more guys still who are going to wait until after the title game to hit the portal because they want a(nother) ring, but are going to leave early enough to participate in spring practice at their new schools. Basically UGA landing both WRs out of the portal made Cottrell the odd man out for now. Makes sense that UGA would see him that way as he has the least experience playing WR of the 4.

Again, only speculation, but it lines up with everything else that is going on. Had Norton and Gilbert not left the team already, they likely would have had to tell a couple of other guys to wait until February, which - again - is the actual signing day. Note that Alabama signed 28 guys last week. Well prior to that they had a ton of guys hit the portal. As it included pretty much everyone who failed to do much of anything for them at WR the past 2 seasons as well as an OL who missed a stretch during the season for mental health reasons, we can presume that Saban cleared the decks to sign as many guys last week as he could AND grab guys from the portal too. And yes, they will sign a few more in February to get them over 30.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

If you remember the UGA/Missouri game MO hung around and got more and more emboldened. Their WR's talked a lot of trash. Lovett was the worst. He better leave that sh...stuff on MO. UGA does not do that. That is the problem when you take guys out of the portal that aren't raised in the culture from freshman year. They bring some bad habits.

That being said it would not surprise me to see any UGA WR in the TP except LMcC and AD. May be why Cottrell's signing is held up. To see how many wr's leave and if there is room in the wr room. Same with Meriweather. CKS does not know how many he will lose out of the OL room.

You know LMcC was a TN fan his whole life. Dreamed of going there. Does he go there now to play in that O and fulfill his dream?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"You know LMcC was a TN fan his whole life. Dreamed of going there. Does he go there now to play in that O and fulfill his dream?"

I had that same thought, but only for a second, it was too painful to give it more than that!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can promise you that Cottrell waiting isn't a problem due to not having a scholarship available. MOre likely something on his end. He's too good of a receiver for UGA to miss out on because they couldn't "juggle" some things around.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

May be a possibility but not probable. LMcC seems all Dawg now.