Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How Ohio State neutralized Jalen Carter, despite Georgia star playing career-high snaps

2»

Comments

• Options
    cbp1947cbp1947 Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

PAC-12 officials eating their whistles was a big factor too.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s called holding! As far as trying to chase Duggan when he’s out of the pocket I would instruct Carter to move laterally and don’t pursue him vertically. Save you energy you’re not going to chase him down. Just start trying to beat him to the edge.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As Brooks Austin explained it on his YouTube video from Monday night, grabbing the jersey from inside armpit width won't get called...it's when arms are held out or players tackled that it gives the offensive player a significant advantage and that's why it's outside the rules.

Go back and watch the 2017 NCG with Alabama. The play that really changed the game for Alabama came in the 3rd quarter on a 3rd and long where Tua got away for a 1st down. Roquan was TACKLED on that play.

If Tua didn't make that 1st down, the game would have been over.

And if any fan says, "Well, that happens every game...blah, blah, blah", ask them how they'd feel if that kind of play happened 5 or 6 times a game??? They're just not able to put logic over emotion.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

HOLDING - that's a bunch of it.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MikeGriffith

Since we are giving you H today, Mike, I want to accost you for your performance on the Finebaum show yesterday. I realize you and PF play off each other. You both turn into oppositional performers when It is all for show. Yesterday, your schtick was about how all the Dawgs had to do was show up Monday night, that our dominance was assured, and picking up the hardware might be the most taxing event. While I certainly would love a dominating Dawg victory, you blather sounds like rat poison to me!

• Options
    hootche10hootche10 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior

JC did tip a ball that negated a Pass Interference call that turned out to be a big play.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I actually thought Carter held up his end. One problem was that his position depends on edge rushers to be most effective, so Stroud was able to escape from inside pressure.

I haven't re-watched the game. But it seemed to me that most of the pressure on Stroud was coming up the middle -- especially in the first half. Because our outside rush inconsistent, however, Stroud was able to scurry to the outside to pass or run. Plus Ohio State got very few yards running between the tackles.

Like Jordan Davis (although admittedly less so), Carter's impact can't be fully reflected by individual stats such as tackles. It's more in team numbers such as overall TFLs (we had six) and total rushing yards (they had 119 -- much of which came from Stroud scrambling to the outside).

I'd be happy to be schooled on this by more experienced observers. But that's the way I saw it.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aside from the OSU holding. Some interesting points about OSU moving the pocket. I have not seen enough of TCU to tell if Duggan throwing from the pocket or throwing on the move in a moving pocket is better for his accuracy.

It would've been nice for either MG or Pruitt to tell us Duggan's accuracy stats throwing on the move vs from the pocket. It seems moving the pocket will again be a tactic deployed vs UGA in the CFBCG.

While you are at it MG throw in Duggan's short, medium and long (L, R, Center) stat's? The data is probably out there for the media types to report.

• Options
    DawgBiscuitDawgBiscuit Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They double-teamed and held him the whole game. He was even tackled on some plays :(

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m Ngl bulldogs. With all this holding excuse stuff we are starting to sound like 2017 post heartbreaking natty loss UGA fans, or 2022 OSU fans (a la Marvin Harrison targeting/woulda won with him in), or even 2021 Bama we woulda won with Jamo fans.

We don’t have to justify or even entertain this stuff. We know Jalen is dominant and we know he must have done his part regardless of outsiders perspectives because we got the win. Let’s move on and focus on Monday now.

Big performance to come from 88, I’m sure of it. GoFor2in22. Go dawgs.

• Options
    CigarDawgCigarDawg Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who wore it better?