Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart tips hand on Georgia quarterback position: mobility a priority

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart tips hand on Georgia quarterback position: mobility a priority

LOS ANGELES — The Georgia QB situation sounds as uncertain in the aftermath of the Bulldogs 65-7 win over TCU as it did a year ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

Collin Drake (26), Jackson Muschamp (16),

^ Are these guys on scholarship? What year are they?

• Options
    JTM22JTM22 Posts: 60 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope not, but I think Brock might transfer. His peers are getting playing time ( C. Williams was Heisman) while he hasn’t and now Beck is the supposed starter…. QB room will be interesting going forward.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting. Adding more intrigue to the Spring and Summer drills. I don't disagree about how important mobility is to a college football QB position. I will say Carson seems to have improved dramatically and hope he gets a legitimate shot at competing for the #1 slot. Gunner and Brock are both capable dual threat players, but between the two of them and what I have seen I'd actually favor Gunner over Brock.

• Options
    BigTenEatsFartsBigTenEatsFarts Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

Personally I hope for Brock or Gunner. Carson has been patient and I credit him for that, but he has much less mobility than the others. That sack that Stetson spun out of last night on 3rd and 10 was always a sack when Fromm was back there and we need to keep someone quick back there to give us that dimension on offense. Not only the running but the escapability on crucial downs. Just my two cents. Go Dawgs! Eat it Buckeyes!

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kenny McIntosh was a four star coming out of High School, not a three star.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The position value will decide. Kirby now likes the mobility of Bennett, who put pts on the board with his legs. Brock is good on his feet as is Gunner. Brock has a year on Gunner at UGA. Beck, I do not believe will be able to compete if equal value is placed on legs. All three have arms. I am not at practice, so that will be determined by Smart and company.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It doesn’t appear that CKS will be signing a QB for 2023 either through recruiting or the portal. I wonder if that means that he has been given some level of assurance from the 3 current scholarship QB’s that they’re not going to transfer?

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There are no QB's left to recruit in the 2023 cycle (that I know of). And all 3 of our QB's are better than any QB that is currently in the transfer portal. Now there may be more that enter prior to the deadline. I think the only assurance that Smart gave to the 3 QB's is that they will be given a chance to compete for the starting job.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I think you’re right about the lack of QB’s available to be brought into the program, especially any that are better than those who are already there. The assurance that I was referring to in my comment is some level of assurance given to CKS from the 3 QB’s that none of them have any plans of transferring. That would make sense of moving forward without signing a QB for the 2023 season.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For me it all boils down to I trust Kirby to make the right decision. That said I have a deep respect and appreciation for Carson’s loyalty to the program. And he has looked pretty good in his opportunity’s especially his most recent outings. If I were a neutral fan and not a Dawgs fan just going by Looks alone, BVG has the body type. He Looks the part. My wife and I recently moved to Rabun County and though Yes there’s probably some loyal bias in it but the folks here say that Gunner is the best QB at the HS level they’ve Ever seen !! Glad Kirby has to make this decision and not me !! May the best man win !! P.S. I hope that somehow we can hang on to all three of those primary guys !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do have a question though. If Beck’s not gonna be The Man, why did he get Almost exclusively all the backup snaps ?? I’m of the Trust Kirby and may the best man win thinking. But that seems sort of strange when you look at the season in it’s entirety.

• Options
    LakeSinclairLakeSinclair Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

The easy current assumption is that Beck becomes the starter next year and Stockton is willing to understudy as a second-year player, but Vandagriff transfers out to find playing time elsewhere. Do you think that Kirby might be talking up the importance of mobility in order to give Brock some encouragement to stay?

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think that next year we will see "dueling QB's. Depending on the situation, ie defense faced, either Brock or Carson will be featured. Weak D lines where our O line can easily provide protection, Carson. Overzealous D lines that rush hard, enter Brock. I think both are committed to becoming DGD's and will do whatever is best for the TEAM.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

I'm not quite sure what everyone else saw and no, I am not in the practices, but I definitely saw Beck run, and he ran well when he had to. I appreciate the desire for a dual threat quarterback but I much prefer the accurate passer with the amazing arm while still having the ability to get away, which Beck did when needed. Smart, quick and accurate passing can remove the need to scramble. I don't understand how anyone that is not in practice can say Vandagriff or Stockton is better than Beck when you just haven't seen them do anything other than G-Day. Beck has looked very, very good.

I don't know how many times he was sacked, I think I know of one, but other than that, the kid is darned impressive and I think losing him would be an incredible mistake.

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

Don’t count out Gunner. He has National passing records, and is a bigger, big-armed QB who has has more snaps than anyone in the room last year, running the scout team. Just like Stetson did back in the day.

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

Kirby doesn’t say anything without a purpose. The mobility comment was made to give BG and GS confidence they will actually be able to compete and at the same time to encourage CB to work on his “mobility” this off season. May the best man win.

The only thing that is certain in my mind is that one of the 3 will enter the transfer portal after Spring.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

All three of the QBs flipped to UGA. Carson was in the toughest spot with JT being added, but he stayed. then beat out by Stetson, and he stayed again.

Brock and Gunner knew what the room looked like and were still willing to flip from Ok and SC.

Best decision was not bringing in a 2023 signee

not sure of the outcome - that’s the coaches decision. I just want to be a DAWG fan!!