Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: QB Brock Vandagriff shares immediate plans, value of Georgia quarterbacks room

2»

Comments

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yessir. I remember that he had originally had his sights on Oklahoma, then decided to stay home. Last season, I got a bad taste in my mouth for Beck when he threw a pick and essentially shrugged it off before the interceptor was even down. That has changed this season, of course. Coaches maintained faith in him, and he has a different sort of presence. I've still wondered why it is, exactly, that Brock wasn't getting much backup time. The only reasonable explanation is that... the coaches have more faith in Beck. With that, so do I. However, I'm definitely stoked that BvG is right behind him (currently). That's not based on much more than what I know about his high school days, though.

On a whole different trip, Gunner went to the same high school that one of my cousins went to (several, several years behind her), and her connection to his high school days (maybe slightly before he was so outwardly a UGA possibility) tied me in to watching part of his younger career. That kid is beyond legit. Thus, even with what BvG has put in, and even with the faith the staff has shown to have in Beck, whatever happens in the next several months is going to be exciting. Remember when Fromm - as a true freshman - replaced Eason, and everyone (for about five seconds) thought our season was toast? That's not even a possibility at this point (everyone has at least a year in Monken's system), and Fromm led us to our first title run under Smart.

I've said it, you've said it, and (hopefully) every dang one of us has heard it. It is great. To be. A Georgia Bulldog.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I Love how our QBs are so unselfish !! And how they are willing to sacrifice. The article talks about how both BVG and Gunner have at times put on the red shirt in practices which allows defenders to hit them !! That’s taking it for the team !! Honestly though I know in the end there can only be one starter, I’m pulling for all three !! All three are DGDs in my book !! Wish them the Very Best !! I’m Confident that Kirby will make the right choice. May the best man win !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, we've seen so little of Vandagriff that it's tough to get a solid opinion on him - I wish he would've had more chances to play in cleanup roles. From what little I saw, though, it seemed like he had a tremendous arm but maybe needed more time to polish it. Still, one attempt all year... ugh, come on.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

You're right. When Emerson left so did a lot of the credibility.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When Carson got into games this year and was allowed to throw the ball, I can’t remember one bad pass. His balls were on time and perfectly placed. This was with him playing with the twos and threes against the opponent’s ones.

That being said, I trust Kirby and Monken to make the best decision for the team! Whoever wins the competition will be one heck of a QB!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm tempted to arrive at conclusions about these QBs without a lot of information. All we really know is that Beck has looked good in mop-up duty, and that Brock and Gunner are more mobile than he and also have strong arms.

I'm thankful that, for now at least, all three of them seem to want to stay. Can't wait to see what each of them looks like in the Spring!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Herschel hadn't left for the USFL we would have won it all in '83. But a $10M contract was way to big to turn down. That would be $30m in today's money and it was a guaranteed contract. I still think Herschel was the best running back to ever strap on a pair of cleats.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...that's what yall said last year...and, the year before that. Seems like people would get tired of being wrong. UGA is a different animal than all the rest. You can't apply the old "rule of thumb" to the Dawgs. It won't work.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, 100%. And, Dooley knew it. Herschel actually went to Dooley and asked him if he could help him get out of it, after the fact. Dooley asked him if he signed anything. When Walker said he had signed with an agent, they both **** near cried.

Walker didn't really want to go, but, there was nothing anybody could do about it. It was a real tragedy for Walker and the Dawgs. That's what happens, when you allow greed to get in the ear of impressionable kids, whose only dealings with the world, revolve around a game and College.

Very unfortunate, for all concerned. SMH