Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia fan-favorite Dominick Blaylock considers future, receivers room in flux

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyE708GrumpyE708 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

All that matters is if they have been out of high school for three years. Doesn't matter how many years they play.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When healthy, I've never quite understood the lack of targets Blaylock and Jackson have gotten these past couple of years, given they both have reputations as crisp route runners with exceptional hands and a willingness to catch the ball over the middle in traffic. I've always liked both kids... smart, hard working, great attitude, good role model for the young guys. If either has ambitions for The League, I hope they'll come back for another year at Georgia... a new QB and full year of health might result in more targets and a chance to showcase true potential. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

@RyDawg The Mitchell eligibility question is an interesting one because of the COVID provision -- an unprecedented one that leaves us with no idea how it might go if a player were to appeal for the waiver that all players three years removed from high school must receive.

I do not have any knowledge on if Mitchell has applied --- the article is about which players were on the roster and their status, and there has been a great deal of speculation -- unofficial -- that Mitchell has considered other options, just as a few UGA receivers did last year, some who left, and some who stayed

As for the draft grades, NFL teams build profiles on players throughout their careers -- it does not start their final year of school.

@Bangers When someone has a "draftable grade" it merely means they would be selected in the NFL. I am no more privy to how each team has a player graded -- rounds 2-through-4 -- as anyone else, despite what the NFL analysts tell you. They are sourced, but they receive the info the teams want them to have, and they are not above trying to influence the draft selection order, as it is often one big poker game.

Having covered Major CFB since 1993, I have gone down this road several times with several players and coaches and multiple schools. Granted, rules can and do change, or are modified, and are up for interpretation on a daily basis.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve always wondered why Jackson wasn’t a bigger part of the offense. He made big catch after big catch and was one of the most reliable targets on the field. He didn’t have blazing speed but he was incredibly physical and always seemed to come down with the ball regardless of the coverage. Would love to see them all back again but they definitely have to look out for themselves to a degree. Regardless, always will be a DGD. Go DAWGs

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stay, Blay! 😎

GO DAWGS!

• Options

@Henddawg I think the double tight end formations kind of eliminated some of the slot action, if that makes sense, but it was good to see Kearis come up big down the stretch, and when I spoke with him after the title game he was pretty excited and clearly in a great mood. I just do not know what is next for him, and if he comes back another year. He's a true leader, on and off the field, and handled a lot of the charity work and volunteer work we saw Jake Fromm do when he was at UGA in a leadership position. Kearis Jackson is one of those players who will be very successful long after football, regardless of how his journey plays out.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hope Dom stays and I believe he will unless he can get another school to guarantee him that they will feature him at receiver. Otherwise, I don't think he has been healthy enough for his NFL grade to meet his potential. I think Kearis needs another year but I'm not sure he would benefit from that year at Georgia. He is a very good receiver but there is something that is keeping his targets down. For that reason, I feel like transfer out to get more opportunities. I certainly hope not but Kearis has been a loyal supporting member of this team and has NFL talent so I want him to succeed. If he feels his best chance for opportunities is some where else, I would have to support that.

Now for Ladd, say it ain't so! We definitely need Ladd to stick around for one more year. He is fun to watch and ultra smooth.

I feel the same way about Adonai as I do Ladd. These 2 are elite receivers/play makers.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, I 100% agree with this post. Kearis should have a bright future whatever that may be!

• Options

Really appreciate the added insight and background on this young man. Awesome to hear and always great to see the leadership and humanity match the athletic talent. Great insights and keep it coming. Go DAWGS

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Guys it is 3 years out of high school. Has nothing to do with when you enter college, or even if you go at all (some guys have gone to the NFL without playing college football or even attending college).

@Tripp

You made some really good comments.

(Guys, it is three years out of high school. Consider Eric Swann, who never went to college didn't academically qualify

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Man...I'd hate to see either players transfer. These are two of my favorite Dawgs. They're definitely DGDs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

AD should be eligible for this draft regardless of COVID or waiver. Initially, it was reported that AD took a year off school AFTER HS to train, mature and refine his skillset to enable him to maximize his choices to play. THEN AD played 2 seasons at UGA. The NFL rule states, "underclassmen must be out of HS 3 years". AD meets that criteria.

This could get **** for UGA if AD and McC both decide to declare for the NFL draft. Why would they come back and risk injury IF they get drafted 4th rd or higher? AD COULD move up with another healthy and productive season. Is it worth the risk? I don't see McC moving up any more after another year like this year. Add in KJ and Dom transferring? Means UGA hits the TP again for more WR's.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mitchell did not enroll in Georgia until Jan 2021. He did not opt out fall of 2020. He was not eligible to play college football in the fall of 2020. If you think he is somehow eligible for the college football in the fall of 2020, or eligible for the NFL draft this year, please give us a full detail. You are just becoming more and more confusing.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tell y’all the truth I love all these players. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite from the names I’ve seen in the comments as their All my favorites. Pure selfishness on my part but I hope the names I’ve seen here will see fit to stay. And it’d be very sad to see any of them leave. But I fully understand it’s their life and they have to do what they think is best. I will be forever grateful for the contributions they made to the Dawgs success. And wish them the very best life has to offer. Success brings some painful prices sometimes. But man the great memories these guys gave us !! Again Selfish ole Me, but I hope they’ll stick around and make some more !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just think Ladd was a QB in HS !! But he played basketball to. Kirby saw the athleticism in him, had a gut feeling, and took a chance on him. And just Wow !!! There’s been other guys that Kirby took and it paid off that other SEC schools wouldn’t even consider. A good horse trader knows how to pick horses. Well a great football coach knows how to pick players, and Kirby sure knows how to do that, time and again !!

• Options

He played his last year of HS football at Cane Ridge in the Nashville area. After that he went to Texas for a “gap” year, which was his 1st year out of HS. He has been at UGA for 2 years, hence he has been 3 years post-HS and is therefore eligible for the NFL draft.

• Options
    TheOneKnownasBrianTheOneKnownasBrian Posts: 105 ✭✭✭ Junior

So Dom makes a comment on Monday and it makes headlines on Friday

Am I the only one that thinks that is odd?

• Options

@TheOneKnownasBrian Not really, just a heads up Dom's decision is due soon -- several stories came out of locker room that night, can't do them all at once Brian!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DBlaylock may be waiting to see how many exit the UGA WR room via graduation/NFL and the TP before making his call. IF AD and McC declare for the NFL maybe Dom comes back? He would be the culture leader (w/KJ) in the room and would expect to get playing time.

KJ is a wildcard. Lotsa options. Really a dynamic WR and returner. Never the same after the knee injury a couple years ago. If KJ could get/stay healthy he could have a break out year next season. He is an excellent player who would benefit from more tape. Hopefully the tape is from '23 UGA.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Based on the WR room. Doesn’t the team normally travel with 8?? That would be critical information for very skilled upper classmen.