Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Stetson Bennett celebration speech draws strong reaction from Georgia football fans

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Stetson Bennett celebration speech draws strong reaction from Georgia football fans

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett was historically good in the national championship game, but his speech at the team’s celebration ceremony at Sanford Stadium left some in the Georgia football audience divided.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GaBoi69GaBoi69 Posts: 323 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson Bennet was not a good look for a guy who wants to play in the NFL. Not a good show of character. I appreciate what he accomplished at Georgia, but show appreciation for your teammates by being a leader. In the military, leaders lead by example. That was not a good example for the younger players. Especially, after all the team has achieved.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah I get it. Bennett was doubted and many times belittled during his time at UGA. Mike Griffith was one of the worst.

• Options
    juneaudawgjuneaudawg Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

From his arrival in the Georgia media, Bennett has done nothing but give what he had to his team and coaches. On the press end, he was constantly underrated, unappreciated and even after winning a National Championship last year, many did not want him to return. "Ride off into the sunset with your team accolades Stetson!" Because folks still did not appreciate him. This year he has been a great quarterback, but still he was a secondary player to the surrounding cast. When he, rightly so, went for the Heisman award, there was an uproar that he shouldn't be there. And he beat out 2 of the Heisman finalists. This young man has done everything his coaches wanted, been everything this team needed and now what is written about him?

He is a brat because he was on his phone or he needs humility or an article that shows him in a bad light again.

The reason he feels like we burned him and the team is because he has been burned by the media, the fans (maybe not all, but many and loud), and these sites. We should apologize to him, not the other way around.

Thank you Stet for what you have given to your school and an ungrateful fan base.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounded more like it was directed at media than anyone else, since that was directed right back at Shockley. But, if the overall presentation of himself throughout the day was what it sounds like, I get why the idea is that it extends beyond that. Kinda weird.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

First I'd like to say that I greatly respect what Stetson has done over the last few years and he deserves great credit for his success. However, the reason people warmed up slowly to him and still had reservations about him even after the first natty was the way he played in the early days at Georgia. This guy was bad. He was an interception waiting to happen. He was making bad decisions - alot. So, it irks me that he still has a chip on his shoulder about that. Yes he was bad - OWN IT Stetson - that was you making bad choices on the field and no one else. With that said, congrats to him as he turned it around WITH A LOT OF HELP FROM MONKEN. But he did it and I am proud of him. BUT, don't show up to the parade and give such a bitter speech on about how no one believed. Georgia in fact, was given a lot of love this year from fans, commentators and the like. Yes, the playoff committee screwed up when they made Tenn #1 that one week - but ya'll fixed that by whipping them - from that point on, their were few doubters. And even now, Georgia is ranked #1 in a lot of pre-season and "way too early" polls. Georgia is getting the praise now and the respect because they have earned it and that is the way it should be.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

Yet example number 1655 and counting of why @MikeGriffith is one of the least respected college football sports writers from his time at UT through his time at the AJC.

That is why Paul Finebaum constantly makes fun of him on air(as recently as January 13, 2023), as well as sports writers at SDS, UGA glory, and a laundry list of others that put him and Chip Towers as the worst in the business.

Coach Smart can’t stand him as well.

This is exactly like his “Jalen Carter was neutralized” against OSU article less than 2 weeks ago.

Same old Mike Griffith.

One day Dawg fans will realize this about this guy and, like me after the post, stop giving his mediocre and misinformation/ misleading articles trying to push a click-bait narrative the time of day that they surely don’t deserve.

✌️

• Options

"Yeah I get it. Bennett was doubted and many times belittled during his time at UGA. Mike Griffith was one of the worst." - Scorecheck

@ScoreCheck You call honest reporting "belittling" like MG had an underlying reason for writing about Stetson - Stetson was not good in the early days and his stats bring that point home. Only in the last two years has he had anything to point to that was positive. I appreciate his turnaround and give him great credit for what he as been able to do - MG has dont that as well - his reporting has been very positive and truthful about Stetson. BTW, he is not paid to be a homer. He is paid to be a reporter. He calls it like he sees it.

• Options

"Yet example number 1655 and counting of why @MikeGriffithis one of the least respected college football sports writers from his time at UT through his time at the AJC." - Gibroni88

@Gibroni88 This is a ridiculous statement to make. You obviously have something personal against MG. You do know that he is a reporter right, and not a homer like BA? BA is paid to give his "fan view" of the dawgs, MG is paid to be objective and a "straight shooter". I am sorry that he does not satisfy your need for "ra-ra" reporting, but that is not his job. If you don't want to see an unbaised account of events regarding the dawgs, don't read MG's articles. Watch BA on "Dawgnation Daily" to quench your need for hugs and kisses.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First of all, 100% of UGA fans support everyone on the team. Fans believe in them. Some fans may believe losing 15 draft choices and 13 transfers might be too much to overcome to win another CFBC in '22. And that is understandable.

I thought SBIV was smarter than that. Though it did take him 4 years to learn Monken's offense. Talk about burning your bridges and nuking your rep with fans.....

Considering the 2 50/50 balls his elite teammates turned into TD's in the CFBCG maybe he will learn someday that a little humility goes a long way.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Gibroni88 Here is the story on Jalen Carter --- and how he was neutralized -- it explains how much attention Ohio State paid to No. 88 to the point of changing its offense.

read the story and you will find it far more complimentary than anything else

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennett was clearly talking about the media, and the playoff committee. He should've followed it up with a thank you to the fans for their support. That would've provided some clarity to his words.

Who can blame him for feeling that way? Some picked Oregon in the 1st game. Many picked Tennessee to beat the Dawgs. The playoff committee had Georgia No.3 behind Tennessee and Ohio St. The committee listed. "a better resume" for why UT was ranked higher, then in their next breath, " we ranked OS higher because they have a more explosive offense." Totally disregarding the fact that Georgia had a better resume than OS.

The Joe Moore award went to Michigan, again. As if they didn't see how the 21 Dawgs destroyed that same team just last year.

Kirby did a good job of using the doubt for motivation, but the doubt was real.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have no problem with Stetson especially in light of his own coach going after Caleb Williams AFTER Bennett was the offensive MVP in the playoffs in 2021.... you know, that year of winning the first Natty in 41 years.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

The playoff committee? You serious? The one that us #1 every week but one? Were they there, thus he said “ya’ll”? Grasping, dude.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

BULL...S-H-I-T!!! You and several fans on this website...including Mike Griffith, Elle Duncan and a couple other so-called Reporters...didn't give this kid a chance in hell...till after the 2022 season, mid-point.

He was talking to you and Mike and Elle and several others, I won't bother to name, that have been "Never-Bennett's" throughout his stay in Athens..

Now, you want his respect? Lololol...Bwahaha! Good luck with that.

You try to stay away from the words "I" and "Me", when you are the leader of an organization or team. That being said, I know exactly what he was talking about and to whom he was directing his comments. They were well deserved.

I watch the Paul Finebaum Show, practically every evening, and I can tell you this...the majority of Georgia Callers wanted Bennett replaced, until it became apparent that wasn't gonna happen. Then they had to half-heartedly get on board the Bennett train, before this past season ended...to keep from looking like a bunch of "Low Football IQ" morons. Lol

The boy could flat out play some football...but, it took 4 years, 2 Natty's, 4 MVPs, Heisman recognition (which he should've won) and a scorching comment directed at a lukewarm fanbase, to get Dawg Nation's attention. That's just funny as heck to me.

• Options
    Michael_ScarnMichael_Scarn Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not upset by what Stet said, not even a little bit. It's natural for someone to feel salty or have mixed emotions when they've been doubted for the last 5 years, even in a season when the team went 15-0. He's earned the right to call the doubters out, including myself.

Stetson you're a legend and I wish you all the success in the world at the next level. Go do that voodoo, you do so well.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...you sound like George Castanza...."It's not a lie, if you believe it's true.".

Therein, lies the problem. The assessment of Bennett's ability has been way off since 2020. I wouldn't say Mike was not honest in his reporting. I don't believe that for a second. I will say that he and half of Dawg Nation, were flat out wrong about him from the start....and, I've been saying so, every chance I got. Lol

You better hope one of the remaining QBs in the QB Room have half the heart and determination that Bennett has. Which one could've come back on BAMA in 2021...or OSU in 2022? We don't know. All we know, is that they can either, run or throw or do both. But, can they WIN when the chips are down? That remains to be seen.

Dawg Nation was so busy speculating about Beck or BVG or JT Daniels...that they failed to recognize the greatness on display, right in front of them, every Saturday. Bennett and others on "The Team" called em out. Good...it's about time.

Maybe some of you guys will stop looking for greener grass, the next time a "Stetson Bennett" comes your way. He could've WON The Heisman if he had a little more support from his own fanbase.