Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Stetson Bennett celebration speech draws strong reaction from Georgia football fans

13»

Comments

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

His speech after the NC game was a lot different than today’s. Bennett is his own person and he makes his own choices, but wow, what an attitude he displayed today. I’m not saying he owes fans anything, but a little courtesy would have been better than what he did today. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

I'm gonna be honest last year I doubted the kid. He made me a believer when he threw that touchdown pass after that fumble. Ever since then I knew he was a quarterback. That guy went back-to-back with his teammates he doesn't owe anyone else any kind of explanations. Build him a statue, he did it. Hell of a run Bennett, go Dawgs

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lots of folks can’t handle public speaking. It was a little bizarre given the moment. Considering the guy is 26 years of age, I thought it was in poor taste. But, just my opinion.

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

This! Well said. Mike never misses a chance to be passive aggressive in his writing about UGA. IF there is a negative spin, he will find it...if there isn't, he will create one. Mike, a Vol for life.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He just turned twenty five, there, hot rod. In October, as a matter of fact.

One thing I am curious about, though. Why did Bennett graduate High School when he was 19....and turned twenty, in October of his Freshman year (2017). Was he held back a grade, or was he just a "late starter.

No wonder he turned 25 in his final year. BTW, I don't remember Chris Wenke's age (28) being brought up nearly as much as Bennett's, by the media....and, he WON the Heisman.

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Also, not just Weinke.....Hendon Hooker is slightly older than Bennett, PSUs QB is older than Bennett, etec. etc.. Who cares and why is it being discussed?

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Brother, if you are being honest, you (like MG) should admit that you have been a Stetson hater from start to finish. His angst yesterday was clearly aimed at folks like you. That said, I was disppointed by Stetson’s behavior yesterday. He has taken the high road for so long, and it was a shame to see him lash out in his final, victorious moments as a Dawg. It would have been far better to see him finish out with the class and strength of character he has displayed for so long. I’ll always be a Bennett fan (a member of “Stetson’s Army”—a phrase recently coined by MG in response to my criticism of his Bennett coverage), but, as I said, Stetson’s behavior yesterday was a bit disappointing. He fed the trolls.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

No doubt, will be glad when MG just moves on like he has so many other places. Pretty sure he will be reminding us why Bennett's pro career won't work out soon and how he was right all along. More about him being right, his ego can't handle it. More of a troll than journalist.

Nothing wrong with what Bennett said, I'm glad he did.

A fun listen:

https://twitter.com/mygodapodcast/status/1614391163666014208

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This from a Stetson doubter that thought he should have rode off into the sunset after the NC last year. He proved a lot of us wrong and most of us got on the support SBIV wagon and enjoyed the hell out of the ride he and the rest of the Dawgs gave us. At this point the only one with sour grapes seems to be Stetson himself, I fear for him after all the positive things he's done he's shooting himself in the foot and burning bridges with some folks with influence. He's got nothing to prove to anyone, Just my opinion.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGADad20, First of all, You said, 100% of UGA fans support everyone on the team, and I thought SBIV was smarter than that. Though it did take him 4 years to learn Monken's offense. First Off, No! 100% of the fans did not supported SB as QB, and how is it possible for SB to learn Todd Monken Offense, when Todd Monken has only been the OC at Georgia since 2020, that's only 3 years, and SB wasn't made the starter until 2021, after J T Daniels went down with an injury, maybe you should check your data before making accusations

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seemed to me that SB used SHock to represent all the media which came off looking petty, I mean after all Shock is a Dawg though and through and unless Shock said something derogatory about SB previously then it was just out of place.Shock was caught off guard and clearly didn't know how to respond but was like OK , and he still tried to get SB to say something positive that the crowd could cheer for him about but SB had his mind made up. I also think the comment about it being more about the Jimmy's and Joe's was directed at the coaching staff, maybe in particular Monken. THose who doubted him.

It was just supposed to be a day to celebrate inhouse with family(100,000 fans I heard an estimate turned out on a freezing cold and windy day to cheer, to yell and celebrate the team, to cheer especially for SB and his and UGA's great accomplishment and SB went all Debbie Downer.. When he started talking smack, I was like what are you doing? THis isn't the time or the place. Mike Griffith wasn't up on that stage. Niether was ESPN or any other major outside media. It was all love in the moment. As others have pointed out, he's a 25 year old man, not a kid, but he still has a lot of kid in him.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monkin's only been there 3 yrs...and one of those was the COVID year, that eliminated 2020 Spring Training and the summer OTA's. Bennett didn't get much training under Monkin, till last year.

So, there's that. Just can't give the kid any credit can we. Lol

BTW, @MobileDawg...you bring up a good point. While I don't have a problem with Bennett's words and sentiment...he needs to decompress, before he does anymore public speaking. He's been living in a pressure cooker for years and it's showing up in some of the wrong places...and some of the right places (the football field).

I worry about his mental health at this point. He's a cerebral kid that takes some of his press to heart. He can't do that if he's going to pursue a career in public service or entertainment. It drove him to achieve greatness on the football field, to this point. But, now it's time to lay that chip on the ground, reflect on his success...and, move on to the next "thing"...whatever that may be.

He'll always be a Dawg and I know for a fact, he loves the UGA Bulldogs....and most of their Fans, Lol.