Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Trezmen Marshall decision adds more spice to Georgia football-Alabama rivalry

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageTrezmen Marshall decision adds more spice to Georgia football-Alabama rivalry

ATHENS — It made sense that Trezmen Marshall would want to look elsewhere for opportunities. The fourth-year linebacker is clearly good enough to play at a high level as he was able to consistently find his way onto the field for a championship-winning defense this past season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 142 ✭✭✭ Junior

Truth is that Marshall was not good enough to earn a starting position at UGA. He still contributed to the team and his teammates, however. In my opinion, transferring to a rival SEC school was disrespectful of his teammates and the Dawg Nation. I do not wish him well and hope he and his fellow traitor Jermaine Burton spend a lot of time commiserating on their decisions while riding the bench at Bama.

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds like he gave up. He's a Dawg no more! Hit the Road Jack!

• Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Going from the #1 team to the #2 team (or so I heard).

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Says in the article, plagued by injuries. So to say that is kind of a lack of attention. As far as transferring to Bama, let em. They are only going after the draft status from Bama. "Went to Bama = 1st round talent" according to some scouts. But when Georgia 3-peats this year, that narrative will stop. Marshall never done anything wrong in my opinion, besides choosing the wrong school to transfer to. Burton on the other hand, was just a waste of talent. Too into himself to actually be a part of a team, it was me before team with him.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Hard to truly assess Marshall’s impact and potential. He came highly rated and with great expectations and for the first 2 seasons, he couldn’t get healthy enough to get on the field. He worked hard to get healthy enough to contribute but we all know how injuries are; never know how they come out the other side and it seems that others on the depth chart may have passed him. Wish him good luck and a great season except for 1 game if it works out that way. Always forward - Go DAWGS

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is an interesting situation from a lot of angles. Marshall has talent and has played well when not injured. The question is, can he stay healthy? If so he can help AL. I looked over AL's last 3 recruiting classes and found they were very light w/LB recruits. 3 ILB and 3 OLB. Total. And 1 of them (Demouey Kennedy) recently hit the TP.

The story at UGA is quite different. JDJ, Mondon and JWalker have all passed TMarshall at ILB. AND UGA added 3 highly ranked ILB's in the '23 class. Handwriting was on the wall.

Now did Marshall choose AL because of Schumann? Did AL want Marshall for intel on the UGA D, calls and keys? Expect Saban to pull out all stops to overtake UGA in the time he has remaining as AL coach.

Logically, there is little reason for Schumann to remain at UGA as "co-DC" making $800k/yr. He can go to AL as full DC and make 2x the money. PLUS be in line not only for a CFB HC job in 3 years but possibly Alabama HC job when CNS is ready to retire. I don't see it not happening.

The same can be said for Monken. Though the advantages are not as clear. Other than a pro OC job is way easier than a CFB OC job. Less time consuming. No recruiting. Stable personnel yr to yr. Less stability (how long will Todd Bowles be HC in Tampa?). But should Monken take a pro OC job and be out of work in 2 yrs CFB coaches will be lining up to sign him as OC.

Monken is a Pro coach. He'll move on back to the pro's.

• UGA64UGA64 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good Luck young man! You were a **** good Dawg!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am hearkenng back to Kirby's remarks...you buy in and tough it out at UGA. Marshall,after his lengthy injuries, could contribute, but was no longer a starting factor in the heavy Dawg ensemble of linebackers. I suspect he will start at Bama, as they do not have the talent core at linebacker UGA enjoys. I wish him well.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

"I didn't see a lot of comments on DawgNation that RaRa and Lovett were being "disrespectful" to Miss State or Mizzou. Or for that matter when Kirby Smart left Alabama for Georgia. If they're not "traitors," Trezmen isn't either."

While "traitor" is too strong a word, I think that's an unpersuasive counter-argument; an oversimplification. Neither Thomas nor Lovett transferred to a program that had been their first team's main obstacle to success, the bringers of multiple heartbreaking losses in huge games over the years. People are upset about Georgia players, particularly Burton, going to Bama for precisely that reason. Besides, of course Georgia fans aren't going to voice any disapproval over talented players wanting to come play for Georgia. That's not how that works. You'd have to look to the players' previous fan bases for that, at which point it loses most-all of its relevance to any discussions about Georgia fans.

And the example of Smart is even more questionable. He gave them, what, nine years, working his ass off for them until the opportunity to rise to a position of power at another program became available. At the time, Georgia wasn't much to Alabama; certainly not the nemesis that Bama's been to Georgia. Plus, by the time someone works his way up the coaching ranks to that degree, it's much more of a pure business decision at that point, with huge contracts involved, etc. Singling out Smart as an example is arbitrary, as you could theoretically make that point using anyone who's ever left one program to take a promotion at another. But there is a reason people generally don't fault a coach in that situation. In fact, Smart is a particularly bad example for your argument, being from Georgia, both the state and the university.

Again, I think this all applies to Burton more than Marshall, as Burton was already getting a good amount of snaps and targets when he was healthy and, as you point out, could have still done well for himself if he'd stayed at Georgia. If he thought he needed more targets to get up the draft boards, fine, whatever. But by the time he transferred, he could have gone anywhere. It's not like there's any shortage of pass-heavy offenses out there, and he was already on people's radar. Choosing Bama, of all places, was just kind of a dick move.

Personally, while it still doesn't sit well with me, I'm a little more forgiving of this decision from a guy like Marshall, who doesn't have quite the same level of recognition or opportunity at his position at Georgia, and may feel like he needs to be a starter at the highest possible level to get where he wants to go in the little time he has left.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember the days when Georgia could've used an Alabama 3rd team player.

But if you can't develop the talent, getting it from a team who does develop their players might be the next best thing.

• edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

All I can say is Alabama must have forgot how to develop its own players if it’s trying to get its players from Georgia? Let Georgia sign them, develop them and then sign them to a large NIL deal? How far Bama has fallen!

• FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

DGD's don't transfer to rivals: Alabama and all SEC schools that embrace the color orange. I didn't mind him leaving, but UGA didn't deserve the middle finger after nursing his fragile body for years.

• DreamAndWonderDreamAndWonder Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don't understand the reasoning, but also don't have the inside details. Some others who have transferred had personal reasons such as kids and family. I wish him well and hope that others do too. He'll get his whipping if we go head to head and likely will not gain a thing by transferring.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dang….never thought I’d see the day when Bama needed our back-up players to fill their roster. Sounds like we are out recruiting those “has beens” and weeding-out the players who don’t embrace Kirby’s “team first” concept. Go Dawgs!!!

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I appreciate your thoughtful comment, E_Roc.

To be clear, I wasn't at all faulting Kirby for returning to his alma mater. My point was that it's not fair anymore, in such circumstances, to accuse either players or coaches of "disloyalty."

You're drawing two lines that I wouldn't draw. The first is between unthreatening schools and bitter rivals. But where do you draw that line? Is it just Alabama? Or are players showing bad form if they go to our biggest Eastern rival (Tennessee )? What about South Carolina, which could be a rival in the future? Or Kentucky? Or Florida? Or, say, Ohio State?

The other line is between players and coaches. I'm not saying the situations are exactly the same. But, aside from Smart's UGA pedigree, most of what you write about Kirby could be said about Marshall: He gave UGA four years, working his ass off (in Trezmen's case, getting injured), until an opportunity came long to rise to better position at another school. Each man grew and learned during the years each spent at the school he transferred from.

You write that "there's a reason people generally don't fault a coach in that situation." I agree. But the main reason we do fault athletes is that we're not used to things being the way they are now. NIL and the TP have created a brave new world in college football -- one in which even the NCAA acknowledges players' rights to earn money and to choose where they labor. I don't think any of us really are comfortable with it, but it everyone's in the process of changing their assumptions.

Is it fair to expect a player who has a chance to start for Bama's storied program to go instead to, say, Baylor or Western Kentucky (neither of which is as close to his Georgia home) because it offends our sensibilities as fans? We don't take that attitude toward coaches. We don't take it toward pro athletes. Unfortunately, we're going to have to get used to not taking it toward college players.

• pappadawg23pappadawg23 Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

Wish him well, but not a DGD. That title is only bestowed by the great, loyal, and legendary ones.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting over on a BAMA fan youtube channel commenters are saying their LB room was already "loaded", and they didn't understand why they even needed him. Might stand to reason that he would get more playing time at UGA where coaches know him and he knows the system or at least at some other lessor school where the competition wouldn't be as intense. . Sort of wierd!

Almost like an over reaction move perhaps because of being disgruntled? Maybe he just thinks he's good enough to show up in a new system and impress and start. Just thinking out loud. Just wierd, unless Schu is going too and he knows coach Schu is familiar with him? Grasping at straws here.