Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Report: Stetson Bennett turns down opportunity to compete at Senior Bowl

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageReport: Stetson Bennett turns down opportunity to compete at Senior Bowl

All Stetson Bennett ever wanted at Georgia was a chance to compete, but approach to getting drafted into the NFL might be different.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Bennett making his decision to play in the Senior Bowl based on what Mel Kiper says? Are you kidding me? The only people who consider Mel Kiper an expert draft analyst are the morons at ESPN and people in the press who are more clueless than Kiper.

• Options
    pappadawg23pappadawg23 Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

Great decision, Stet! Too risky!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess he feels if he has a bad week, it could hurt his chances? Lord, I hope he did not listen to Kiper as ShootheHooch mentioned.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The guy played in more high profile games than any other college QB in history. There is nothing to be gained by going to the senior bowl. Any questions teams have will be addressed at the combine.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just roll my tape.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

MG keeps up the spin.

Think an agent might have advised Stetson to skip? An agent who is experienced and likely knows a little more about whats best for Stet in this situation?

Stet didnt want to compete with Jake and Justin? I think not. I think he just wanted playtime to prove to himself and others that he could compete at the next level and coaches likely advised him that playtime was unlikely with Fields and Fromm that year. It worked out good for him I'd say. Stet definitely not one to back away from competition.

Typical MG. Why not wait for SB to announce before speculating? But I guess I have given him exactly what he was after. Another CLICK.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

ShoottheHootch

Why isn't Kiper an expert draft analyst? Do you spend thousands of hours every year studying film and taking to scouts? I'm going to go ahead and say no. But because you watch every Dawgs game you somehow know who's an expert or who's not. Dude has a dream job and it sounds like y'all are jealous haters. He's just giving a more informed opinion than anybody on this site will ever have. The vitriol toward the guy is pathetic

• Options
    Uxga_XUxga_X Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

smh, he was never actually invited, "in discussions" = if we can find a slot for you, really **** reporting just for clicks, no wonder ppl are running to on3 and 24/7 to get REAL reporting on the Dawgs

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Seems like a missed opportunity for what amounts to an extended "job interview" in front of all the scouts and a pro coaching staff. Scouts watch all the practices. Coaching staff see players up close and find favorites.

Interesting that Todd McShay threw shade at JCarter and his "coachability" yet the guy that seems to act overconfidently and has said some questionable things is the one skipping the SR Bowl.

This has a little bit of the feel of the Jamie Newman situation. Surprising. Is SBIV's hesitancy a result of his desire to not put his inconsistent accuracy on display with a new offense and new wr's?

Will be interesting to watch how the draft and training camp play out for SBIV.

Make no mistake. He is SBIV. 2x NC. The SR Bowl has a spot for him. All he as to do is express an interest. For those saying "he is rusty" , he has practiced for weeks (years?) longer than most other CFB players.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is Bryce Young going? Is Stroud going? Is Hooker going? The only name an average fan has heard that's going is Max Duggan. It seems to me that SB has beaten all of these guys. He's put up clutch performances against the best of the best. Why does he need to go "compete" with the QB from Fresno St. or Louisville? Can the average fan name those guys? What does he have left to prove? 2 time NC winner and about 4 MVP awards.

If it's a measurable contest, he's too short, his arm might not be as strong as some of the others, so what? THe guy completes passes with the best of them and comes up clutch in big moments. All the rest is just sexiness. He's been doubted all his life and has overcome every naysayer, all he has done all his life is compete. Compete against the bigger, stronger,kids. BUt no, he still needs to compete again, for some.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@spdawg and @BubbaBill

No, Deshaun Watson played in the same number of high profile games as Stetson Bennett - 2 conference title games and 4 playoff games - and had the same record in them (5-1). And Trevor Lawrence played in the most. Lawrence went to the playoffs 3 times. He lost in the first round in 2020 to Justin Fields and Ohio State, but in 2018 and 2019 went to the finals, beating Alabama but losing to LSU. That and his 3 conference title games gives him 8 for the most.

I am serious, tons of the comments on here make me believe that UGA fans only follow UGA and not the rest of the sport, and the blog posts on Dawgnation by the professional sports journalists don't help. We aren't talking about ancient history from the 1950s or even teams from the 1990s, or some teams that maybe Georgia fans have no reason to follow like Notre Dame or Army. Instead Trevor Lawrence literally played 2018-2020, meaning that his career took place during Bennett's. And Clemson is literally a UGA rival, indeed perhaps their biggest nonconference rival. It was UGA's victory over Clemson in 2021 that sparked the "changing of the guard" as Clemson hasn't been to the playoff since and UGA has matched Clemson's 2 national titles. So not knowing that Watson equaled Bennett in big games and Lawrence surpassed him really indicates a myopic fanbase.

Also - and I am going to repeat this on here - NFL scouts and GMs could care less about national titles. Pat Mahomes and Jay Cutler actually had losing records in college and were still top 10 draft picks. (Worked better out in Mahomes' case than Cutler's.) AJ McCarron won the same number of titles as Bennett did and was taken in the 5th round, and this despite being taller than Bennett, having a stronger arm and playing in an offense very similar to what a lot of NFL teams actually ran at the time. Chris Leak and Jake Coker won national titles and weren't even drafted. With Leak it was somewhat understandable - he was a short spread QB without an NFL arm back in the 2000s before the rules changes - but Coker was 6'6", can throw a ball 60+ yards downfield and had a former NFL head coach as OC in Lane Kiffin.

That said, SB IV is likely to get drafted. (Though it won't be the Falcons ... they are trying to develop the QB that they drafted last year and don't want a bunch of UGA fans screaming "put SB IV in there!" every time he struggles.) But - and I say this yet again - please realize that A. college football exists beyond your own team and B. no one else who isn't a fan of UGA has any reason to prioritize its accomplishments and players above that of any other program. For example, no, Dominick Blaylock's 15 catches for 227 yards last season wasn't going to get him drafted this year just because he played for "back-to-back champions UGA." Players with similar talent but much better stats on the teams that UGA beat the last 2 years are going to get drafted instead. You would think that fans of the game would realize this already, but apparently folks on here believe that SB IV played in more big games than Trevor Lawrence and Deshaun Watson because "playoff and title games at UGA mean more than the same at Clemson" or something.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate