Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Georgia’s immediate offensive future hinges on retaining coordinator Todd Monken

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy Georgia’s immediate offensive future hinges on retaining coordinator Todd Monken

Themes and trends aren’t hard to pick up on, as that is kind of what defines them in the first place.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Completely agree

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we lose Monken by Spring then my bet is we lose one QB to the portal in May. And that QB will probably be based on the competition of the Spring drills. Vandagriff pretty much publicly declared he would have already been gone if not for Monken.

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

"It's not the X's and the O's, but the Jimmys and the Joes that make the difference." The run and success of just about all Bama's OCs is general proof the take of this article is overblown. DEFINITELY prefer to keep Monken, but the coaches all say it's the players -- coaching won't beat good players. UGA's program now sells itself and will garner top recruits at all positions. Barring a hire/promotion like James Coley, UGA would be able to get equal replacement to Monken.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken has laid a blueprint for Beck or whomever to follow, to the point where I don't think too many people are worried about who the next "guy " at QB is. It's like Steve Spuurier when he was at Fla. just plug and play at QB. THe next QB up gets Heisman consideration. We averaged 37 points per game in 2021 and now almost 42 points per game in 2022. We all know there were games where we just leaned on the defense and shut the passing game down as in the KY game and games where we got a decent lead and shut down the passing late 3rd quarter and into the 4th(Tenn game) . Kirby has never been one to just pile on the points when you have a good lead.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Why not pay him 4 MM per year now. You'll not have a chance at a three peat in a really long time. Or Make it a one time bonus thing - 2MM to stay. He's worth every cent. Just look, at Clemson. Lose their OC an DC and they stink. Look at Bama.

• Options
    pappadawg23pappadawg23 Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

Undoubtedly, the quarterback position is not merely plug-and-play. The quarterback and the OC must be on the same page. Besides that, effective quarterbacks can read the defense, change the play when necessary, and execute and lead the offense. Effective organizations constantly groom the next guy to take over when someone decides to leave. One must have an elite quarterback play to win at a high level. In past years the Dawgs did not have that elite quarterback. However, Stet was different because his command of the offense and play was excellent. Also, Stet can make all the throws and launches the prettiest spiral with accuracy I have seen. Fromm was good but not great. In my opinion, that's why we didn't win those four games against Bama and LSU.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@reddawg1

Yeah, the "glory" that comes from being an offensive coordinator in college as opposed to an offensive coordinator in the NFL or a head coach. (Facepalm)

And this whole article is ridiculous. First off, the main reason why UGA's offensive output increased was because the talent level did. With Brock Bowers, UGA finally had the difference-making talent on offense that they hadn't had since Sony Michel and Nick Chubb. UGA's OL play is also significantly better than it was in years prior. Now UGA actually has true Cs and OTs where in the past they were truthfully playing guards at those positions. Monken was the OC in 2020, the year that UGA got embarrassed by Bama and couldn't score against Florida. It is the players that are better.

Second, Bama won titles with 5 different coordinators/co-coordinators: Jim McElwain (2009, 2011), Doug Nussmeier (2012), Lane Kiffin (2015), Mike Daboll and Mike Locksley (2017), Steve Sarkisian (2020). While the schemes, QB play and even WR play (which wasn't great for 2011 and 2012) varied, Alabama always had superior OL and RB play during that stretch.

UGA shouldn't break the bank to keep Monken. Salaries for coaches are already getting out of control. They can just replace him. UGA winning back-to-back titles makes them a more desirable destination for top OC talent that wants to move to the NFL or become head coaches one day.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I certainly hope Monken stays, but if he leaves there is an amazing OC (Buster Faulkner) available just 60 miles away. OK, I’m just trying to stir-it-up with the “bugs”. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

An advantage to sticking with a winning program are the playoff bonuses. I think Monken will get around 10% of his $2 million base salary ($200,000) for winning in the playoffs. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Another fine example of your passive aggressive/negative spin takes.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Absolutely! Monken would be a hard loss if he decided to leave. I hope he has decided that the value of working under Smart, having amazing talent to work with, and living in Athens is good enough for many years to come. One can dream! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And I Love how all three of our QBs are embracing internal competition. And gaining extremely good knowledge of the position from a former NFL OC. So Yes Monken is vital in many ways. And I agree with some of the other posters here, that if we lose Monken it’s entirely possible we would lose one ( or more ?) of our QBs. I did say possible not definite. Suffice it to say the man is very important to UGA Dawgs and if they can retain him especially for the next 2-3 years it would be a good thing.