Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football offensive future in flux with Todd Monken pondering next move

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football offensive future in flux with Todd Monken pondering next move

ATHENS — Reality is hitting hard at Georgia, where it has become clear the so-called “end game” for Todd Monken is not serving out the rest of his career on the Bulldogs staff.

Read the full story here

Comments

• thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

This type of hatchet job on Monken makes no sense. Monken is from the midwest. He went to a small college in Illinois, and his coaching career started at Notre Dame (GA) and at small colleges in Michigan. Went from there to schools in Louisiana, Oklahoma and Mississippi and then NFL jobs in Florida and back to the midwest in Ohio. There is no evidence that he had ever set foot in Georgia - let alone Athens - other than road games at his various coaching stops and recruiting. So why on earth should anyone call him a mercenary? Or try to revise 2020 and 2021 as coaching failures on his part (as opposed to, you know, Kirby's failure to recruit/develop elite QBs and WRs that long preceded his tenure and - based on UGA signing 0 QBs this cycle and 0 top 100 WRs since Riley Ridley - may still be ongoing)?

Why should a guy with no ties to the institution or state at all spend the rest of his career as a coordinator when he can do better? I repeat: he has spent more time in Illinois, Michigan, Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida than he has in Georgia. That isn't called "being a mercenary." It is called "life as an assistant coach." Especially when it also describes Kirby Smart. Before he was made the Alabama DC, he bounced around (Valdosta State, FSU, UGA, LSU, the Dolphins) also. And though he was in Tuscaloosa for quite awhile, he didn't "stick around to smell the roses" either. As soon as he got a better offer - he turned down the shot to be the UGA DC for Richt (again funny how absolutely everyone wants to pretend that didn't happen!) and would have taken the Texas A&M job had Saban not warned him against it (ditto!) - he left Tuscaloosa.

So, let's hear you call Kirby a mercenary. Let's hear you attribute the 2010 loss to Cam Newton and Auburn (blew a huge 2nd half lead), the 2013 loss to Auburn (again, blew a big lead), the 2014 loss to Ohio State (Kirby had no answer for Ezekiel Elliot) or the 2016 loss to Clemson (blew a big lead yet again, and still no answer for Deshaun Watson despite having played him the previous year) if you are going to blame him for struggling against the #1 defense in America in 2021 with no big time QB or RB. And it is hilarious that all of a sudden the offense gets blamed against Alabama in 2021 when in fact it was a defense with all those draft picks on it getting roasted by a barely 6 foot tall 200 lb QB and 2 WRs!

Man, I guess we can tell by the tone of this article that you have written off Monken as being as good as gone. Even if he is, Monken doesn't deserve it. Assistant coaches should always be on the lookout for promotions, which is what Monken going to the NFL clearly would be. Staying at UGA, Monken would not become the UGA HC because Monken is almost 10 years older than Kirby. He would not be hired as a head coach at another SEC school because he isn't regarded as a top recruiter. His best shot at becoming a head coach at a major college or NFL is becoming an NFL OC now. Just as Kirby's best shot at becoming a big time head coach was turning down Mark Richt for the UGA DC job, forcing UGA to endure Todd Grantham for 4 years.

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 186 ✭✭✭ Junior

If he stays good for us and if he leaves good for him. He is talented but there are others who can take his place should he leave. Wait until if and when he decides to leave before breaking out all the crying towels

• Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

Love Monken Hope he stays Wish him well if he doesn’t Bobo put up 40 or so a game when he was here before We’ll be fine either way

• Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Whatever happens, is going to happen. Just please don't consider Mike Bobo as offensive coordinator. Georgia has already gone down that path. He was a disaster under Richt. Score close, the game on the line, Bobo consistently called running plays up the middle. Three and out. Other team takes advantage and wins. The man has no imagination.

• USADawgUSADawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

i thought Bobo was a pretty good coordinator. If you recall, we weren’t recruiting O-line back then like we are now. We had good skill players, but no line to block for them overall.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Great analysis Mike.

I don't have much to add...may the chips fall where they may. The Dawgs will continue successfully onward either way.

• FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

"hatchet job on Monken", What the hell are you talking about? I hope he stays at UGA, but Monken is the source of all doubts. Us fans just want a decision.

• GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why Monken stays.....he will now have a QB better than the QB he hand picked. His pallett of creativity is wide open with skilled players that will execute to the letter every play he devises. He is the boss and he has an even footing with Kirby. He is very well paid and I expect his pay will rise in 2023. He's a smart man....no pun intended, why go to the NFL where everybody from owners, their family, management and over paid players are telling you how to do your job?

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You might be in an exclusive club on the ‘interwebs’… those who ‘thoroughly enjoy’ thadec’s posts on various sites. 🤣

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I guess we’ll all know soon enough. Could be much ado about nothing for This year if he stays. But if he goes I echo many of my fellow Dawgs fans comments in that we simply need to Trust in Kirby to make the right decisions. He ( Kirby) hasn’t let us down thus far. He’s been in football at varying levels of responsibility for a long, long time. He’s the HC and we just have to trust that he will know what to do from all aspects and make his decisions accordingly. This 2023 Dawgs team is shaping up to be a fine bunch of Dawgs. I think that regardless they will be hot on the trail of bringing us a Third National Title. No matter what I’m gonna Love Em, and I’m sure my fellow Dawgs fans will to !! Because whose the best fanbase in all the land ?? Well Dawg Nation of course !! Go Dawgs !!

• rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well, to be fair, we had the same O-Line coach back then as we do now as well. Pittman and Luke built the line, not Searels.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mercenary just means he’s hired to do a job not to feel tied to the institution . He’s a hired gun to use another metaphor. He is not where he was back in the day always moving from one place to another looking for a better opportunity. There is no reason to leave now other than if he just wants to for the challenge. It’s not about a have to but maybe just to scratch an itch.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure how in the world this article could be taken as any type of negative piece on Monken - matter of fact it is justifiably glowing. He has been a great O coordinator and really would love him to stay but let’s face it, the life of an NFL O coordinator is all football and none of the recruiting, etc that can drive college coaches crazy. He will definitely be missed and I have no doubt the next one will also do well. Bobo grew up quite a bit under Richt and he was a solid coordinator, particularly in his latter years. Hoping he stays but wishing him the best of luck regardless. Go DAWGS

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

If the money and the challenge of winning 3 straight national championships isn't enough to keep him at UGA, then we should be glad he leaves. With the money UGA has spent on staff, we could poach another program's OC without a problem. I don't think Bobo is the only one that would be in the mix.

I hope everyone will try and enjoy the back to back championships. I know I am.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Few here knew who CTM was when he joined the staff. It would be great if he stays, but don’t kid yourself. If he moves on, nearly every hotshot offensive and passing game coordinator in football will have their resume in Kirby’s inbox by the next morning.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I’m definitely not losing sleep over Monken. I want him to stay, but I think we will be just fine if we need to hire a new OC. Besides, Stetson Bennett carried Monken the past 3 years so he’s due to fall now that the Mailman has delivered and moved on. OK, I’m just trying to get MG’s feathers ruffled 😉. Speaking of ruffled feathers, imagine how the “North Avenue Bugs” would react if we hired Buster Faulkner back. Go Dawgs!!!

• MLVMLV Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope Monken stays as he's been a great O coordinator but coaches, like players come and go. After 2 national championships, he's got momentum and recent success that he could use to leverage another quality job if he wants. Whether he leaves this week or in a few years, one day he will leave and I will wish him the best.....just as I do all of the new players that commit to Georgia, the one's that depart via the portal, and the one's that leave for the NFL.