Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL notes twist in Stetson Bennett story, ‘obviously he’s not in a great place’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageNFL notes twist in Stetson Bennett story, ‘obviously he’s not in a great place’

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett is no stranger to overcoming adversity, having done that before en route to two national championships at Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s interesting how some writers and folks like Jim Nagy try to make Bennet look foolish for not playing in the Senior Bowl. I personally think it would have been crazy for the Mailman to play with almost no preparation time. I also noticed the first wave of invitations from Nagy went out in October followed by 40 more invitations several weeks later. I think Bennett got his invitation last week. If that’s not a slight and an insult you’ll never see one. I wish folks like Nagy and MG would consider the circumstances and put yourself in Stetson’s shoes before casting stones. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

Typical Mike G. garbage take.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

If every NFL player who had a misdemeanor was removed from the field, there hardly would be any NFL left.

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 166 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson..Stetson...Stetson........MOVE ON.

• Options
    RWNJRWNJ Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Thank you for your detailed in depth reporting on UGA football!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

From a reporting perspective I believe the correct answer is somewhere between this and 78Dawg’s Stetson-move on.

Dawg Nation has a history of reporting on former players and that should continue. As for as BubbaBill’s perspective comment. All of the UGA players had the same practice time.

as much as I see MG bash Stetson in the past, this just reads as a news story. Did it need to be written is up for debate.

it’s all part of silly season #1. And after Spring ball we will have similar publications during silly season #2. Remember their job is to write, ours is to read.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

sthop456

The same might could be said about the Dawgs lately. That's such a lazy comment

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I thought being overlooked for the Senior Bowl would have been motivation for Stetson to show up and prove Nagy wrong for waiting so late. With that said, he does not deserve to be drafted just because he's draft eligible, and his college accomplishments do not automatically translate to the NFL. This would have been an opportunity to solidify his draft status more than drills at the Combine.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As far as the Senior Bowl goes. I guess I'm on the fence about this. If he goes and he looks impressive and talks to coaches and seems stable and sure of himself it could have been a good thing. If he goes and tries too hard to impress the coaches and scouts and gets outside of who he is then it could backfire. Throw a couple of picks , try to fit a ball into a tight window for the scouts etc. and suddenly he goes from definitely getting drafted at somepoint to perhaps not getting drafterd at all.

I can see SB thinking, you didn't invite me to start with, I ust won my 2nd NC, and I just got named the best college QB with the Manning Award, go stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Not saying that would be right. But I could see that chip on his shoulder just getting bigger.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In 2020..."they" wanted Bennett to transfer

In 2021..."they" wanted Bennett to "ride off into the sunset"

In 2022..."they" thought Bennett should attend the Senior Bowl

You know what...Bennett has done it his way, since he's been at UGA. I see no reason to conform to "group think", now. I don't think he's the least bit interested, in being somebody's backup, someday...especially Fields' backup.

He wants to compete for a starting position. If he fails...he fails. It's not like he's gonna be destitute, or anything.

Bennett has been making people like Mike Griffith. Elle Duncan and Jim Nagy, eat crow, everytime they decide to weigh in on what he should do...or what kind of QB he should be.

After 6 yrs in the UGA/SEC meatgrinder, there is no-one more qualified to give Stetson advice, than Stetson Bennett, himself.

My guess is....his "team" has already been in contact with at least 1 NFL team. He already has an idea of where he's going.

A player, in Bennett's position, might be better off, NOT getting drafted. He could, then, choose the best team/offense for his QB style and attempt to win the job outright as a preferred invite. He could get drafted by a team, looking for a "bench rider"...and, that's not Bennett, anymore. At 25 yrs of age, time is not his friend.

All this business in Dallas, is much ado about nothing. You'd think that NFL players put down the beer, once the season starts. Lol...nothing could be further from the truth. Those guys aren't Saints...they're football players. Except in New Orleans...they are Saints. Lol

So, Bennett had a few drinks late Saturday night. He was OFF Sunday. Do you think, NFL Players don't have a few after their game on Sunday, or Monday.

Sounded to me like, Nagy had some kind of axe to grind. Comments were made, that were unwarranted and not backed up by fact...just speculation and conjecture. Seems, that's all they need, to trash your name, these days.

That's my opinion, anyway.

• Options
    Lexi33Lexi33 Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

Johnny Manziel redux, without Johnny's talent. Stetson had a reputation for being bone-headed on the field. Too bad he didn't leave it there.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Allot of good and thoughtful comments on here from many different angles. And there is and can be merit in totally different points of view. For My personal ( and maybe some what selfish) entertainment I wanted Stets to go to the Sr. Bowl so I could see him one last time at the college level. But instead of that giving him a Positive look it could easily go the exact opposite. Only a weeks practice with guys your not familiar with, Coaches calling plays your not familiar with, a very real possibility of injury, Some in media that don’t like you putting a microscope on every single negative thing you say and do while diminishing the positive things, the list goes on and on. Now there’s a Huge difference between the Sr. Bowl and the NFL Combine. The Combine has a set of standards and metrics used to determine the strengths and weaknesses of every player at every position. He needs to be zoomed in on that like a laser !! I want to come back to that comment in a moment. As far as the drunk in public and Alleged disorderly conduct. The drunk part I’m pretty sure was determined by the use of a breathalyzer. At least it Should have been. The Alleged disorderly conduct Is alleged based on the “banging on the doors” stuff Unless there were Multiple eyewitnesses to it. Multiple and Accurate. When the PD arrived IF Stets was the only guy they spotted they might well have Assumed he was the one they were called about. Upon testing him and discovering that he was drunk by their established standards that might well have said OK here’s our guy, case closed. Now the incident surely didn’t Help his cause. No. But any NFL organization that are serious and set aside that and some previous “brash comments” and they feel he Might be able to help them would be utterly foolish to discount him on these two things alone. His talents, experience, skill set etc. is what they Should be concerned with. Let’s face it there are tons of guys in the NFL that have huge egos and are as arrogant as the day is long, but That in and of its self is not gonna deter a NFL organization from taking a player they really believe can help them. The misdemeanor thing though certainly Not enhancing should be extremely low on the barometer because there are quite a few players still on NFL rosters that have done By Far worse. Some with multiple incidents. Now back to my “laser focus” comment earlier. Unfortunately for Stetson he doesn’t have much time at all to frolic and kick his heels. He Needs to be focused with laser intensity preparing for the Combine. He won’t or shouldn’t have Time to invest in going out and getting plastered !! From Right Now until the Combine, other than eating and sleeping his pretty much every moment needs to be locked in on preparing for the Combine. Lastly I agree with @BigDawg61 He might fare better to go as a Free Agent than say 6-7 round draft. Just My humble opinion but the very top of 5th for him would be the lowest he goes hopefully. Don’t know how long Brock Purdy is gonna be out for the upcoming surgery he’s Got to have, but the 49ers are one team that might be able to use Stets, possibly as the starter or #2 guy.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hey, people are possibly making far too big a deal of all this. I could see myself at this age, after unwinding from years of playing college football, toeing the line, out on the town on a Saturday night drinking with friends or whatever in a strange town and trying to find someone or get back to where I was going to sleep and knocking on wrong doors trying to get where I was supposed to go or wanted to go.

Who knows where he was trying to get or who he was trying to find and wasn't sure what address it was? We don't. Maybe someone was there and there phone was muted and he couldn't reach them to ask them which apartment number, etc? I do not know and from what I have read, no one does.

So, I could see myself doing the same thing, especially after a night out drinking, and I thought I was likely knocking on the right door. So no big deal, not like he really committed a crime other than public intoxication. No gun or domestic violence was involved. Certainly no felony. We have all been out on the town intoxicated, especially at his age so I get it. Thing is, he can't do it and it not be a nationwide story. The end.

I say give him a pass on this if no pattern emerges. And I do not think it will. I think he will learn from it, like most of us do. Just some embarrassment and a story to fill media people's spaces, for the most part.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

Good post and spot on. I'll get a lot of downvotes for saying this but Griffith always paints Stetson in the most negative light he can. I would have crapped my pants in shock if he had written an article talking to an NFL executive who thought this drunk in public charge wasn't that big of a deal. Doubt he even looked for anyone that would go against his narrative. On the plus side at least Griffith didn't mention Stetson not having yet graduated and he hasn't praised JT Daniels in awhile so maybe we're making progress. Griffith is just a terrible writer and I thoroughly enjoyed watching Paul Finebaum call him out a few months ago as a propagandist.

As far as this Stetson being "drunk in public", as Ron White would say, incident goes, I suppose it is a concern but I'm not sure how much of one it is.He wasn't driving and he didn't commit a felony. He is looking at a fine. I just don't think it is that big of a deal at this point. Now yes,if this is part of a pattern it certainly can become a big deal but if this is an isolated incident then who really cares? I have a feeling the late, great Kenny Stabler would love Stetson and his ability to knock the frost off a few cold ones. Let's face it, NFL GMs are already aware of Stetson and they know what he can bring to the table. At this point they are either interested or they're not. I suppose if one was on the fence about him this incident could make a difference but I believe the combine drills and interviews will be what makes the most impact.

As far as the Senior Bowl goes I don't agree it was necessary or even advisable for him to go. There is plenty of film of what he can do and what he can't. Three more series of snaps in the Senior Bowl wouldn't have made a difference good or bad. Yes he'll miss some interview time but he'll get plenty of other chances. I'm pretty sure Stetson has a coach/manager advising him on these things and they felt it wasn't worth the hassle or risk. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.