Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Tampa Bay announces it has completed its interview with Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageTampa Bay announces it has completed its interview with Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken

Todd Monken has wrapped up his interview with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their offensive coordinator opening, the team announced on Tuesday afternoon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken=three-peat? Awaiting the decision.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Gotta go for 3 in a row Monk! Even if they want to hire you(both likely without QB's next year)stay in Athens and go for 3 and making history! 3 in a row!

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That being said, unless UGA does make to the playoffs again next year, Monken will never be hotter than he is now if he wants to be in the NFL coaching again. Ravens if they can keep Lamar(which is doubtful)makes sense with Andrews at TE

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is anyone else getting tired of this Monken-go-round?

• DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Thanks for the excellent leadership Monken has provided. Hope he stays but understand this is a career that may lead to other places.

• CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

John_Carter

I think you underestimate what Bobo can do to an offense

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Exactly, I've had those thoughts the last two articles. Personally I don't want to hear anything else except the end game....

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For me, it isn't that I don't think he can do it, my concern is how will recruits take not having an NFL level OC like Monken or Joe Brady, etc.

Recruits want to know that they're being coached for the NFL.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The last 2 years when Bobo was an OC his offenses averaged 25 points per game. When he was head coach at Colorado St. his offense(which I'm sure he had a hand in) averaged 28 points per game. Not exactly stellar. That's not who I want moving forward.

I'm sure some will say "well he'll have better weapons at UGA.. and while true, you wouldn't hire a HC based on that same reasoning would you? "well he's only a .500 percentage winner his last 3 seasons, but if we give him better talent, he'll win the Natty!" LOL!

• EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 143 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

Believe in 2014 (reg season), Bobo had the highest scoring average in program history…..that’s more than 25.

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Monken has proven his value to the degree that were I Kirby, I'd require him to travel less while recruiting. He could be the designated big hitter who goes after the cream of high school players on offense. It would then be a big deal when he showed up to recruit five star QBs, TE's, wide receivers, OL-men, and RBs, where he could show them how they would be used should they choose UGA. He is the real deal, and we need to keep him, if possible. That said, UGA will not fall apart should he depart.

• DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As OC, Bobo averaged 37 points per game in 2013 and 41 points in 2014, his last two years at UGA.

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I'm sure some will say "well he'll have better weapons at UGA.. and while true, you wouldn't hire a HC based on that same reasoning would you? "well he's only a .500 percentage winner his last 3 seasons, but if we give him better talent, he'll win the Natty!" LOL!"

That's what Texas A&M did. 😂

All that aside...I think you're underestimating Bobo, based on what I knew was a "dead-end job", when he took it.

Consider this...he learned his craft from some of the best offensive guys, in the business. Ray Goff, Mark Richt and Todd Monkin.

Toward the end of his run at UGA, Bobo was an outstanding OC, that had only been acting in that roll (officially) for about 4 yrs. His move to HC @ Colorado occurred too fast and went too far, IMO. Not to mention the fact that Bobo was going to be recruiting in unfamiliar territory.

Everybody knows, that a HC's success is directly proportional to his recruiting successes and capability of his assistant coaches. Bobo went into that HC'ing "Buffalo" fight, blind. Now...he can see. Lol

You have to figure...the man learned a few things between his 1st stint at UGA...and the current stint. He's a smart Dude. I trust him with the Dawgs Offense, over anybody I can come up with, off the top of my head...and, only slightly less than Monkin.

Not to mention...it would give UGA,...4...Four...(2 on each side of the ball)... full blooded, AKC registered, certified Bulldogs...all, about the same age...to run UGAs football program to future greatness. That's what Kirby means by "Player Led". Lol

They all have a vested interest in UGA's success. And, I see, all, but McClendon staying the course. As long as they have this kind of program

Kirby, Will, Mike and Bryan...sounds like the doggone "Beatles" are taking over. Lol

• rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2023

I mean, don't let 5 seconds of research get in the way of a terrible point. He never even averaged 25 points a season at UGA, let alone later as OC. He did more with less in most cases and dealt with some significant player health issues at a time UGA lacked the depth they do today.

2007 - 32.6 pts/game, 34th in the nation - Matt Stafford

2008 - 31.5 pts/game, 29th in the nation - Matt Stafford

2009 - 28.9 pts/game, 51st in the nation - Joe Cox

2010 - 32.1 pts/game, 30th in the nation - Aaron Murray

2011 - 32 pts/game, 33rd in the nation - Aaron Murray

2012 - 37.8 pts/game, 19th in the nation - Aaron Murray

2013 - 36.7 pts/game, 21st in the nation - Aaron Murray

2014 - 41.3 pts/game, 8th in the nation - Hutson Mason

4 of the top 5 seasons for yardage

2015 CSU - 29.6 pts/game

2016 CSU - 35.3 pts/game

2017 CSU - 33.4 pts/game

2018 CSU - 22.8 pts/game - Hospitalized weeks before the season with an autoimmune disease.

2019 CSU - 28.1 pts/game.

3 of the top 7 scoring offenses in CSU history.

3 of top 6 yardage offenses in CSU history.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why is it that the haters hand pick specific plays to make their point. The anti Bobo group remembers a series where Bobo called a pass instead of a run down on the goal line….play failed. Those same folks forget that Monken ran 7 straight times inside the 3 yard line against (maybe Kentucky) and didn’t score. I guess I’m blind on this one, but it seems like some folks like to cherry-pick to make their points. Bottom line is Bobo consistently had top 10 offenses with far less talent than Monken. Go Dawgs!!!