Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tampa Bay announces it has completed its interview with Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken

2»

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@rxmaster

you conveniently let off SC and Auburn where between those two he in fact did avg only 25 per game. Now who needs to do a little research? I guess we’d be lucky to get him .

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike Bobo has no imagination. I remember well the games he was oc under Richt. If the game was close, his solution was to shut down, run three up the middle, and punt. Why was Georgia such an under achiever in games that mattered under Richt? Bobo was part of the problem.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes, let's compare stops at Auburn and SC instead of his more directly comparable time at Georgia. Are you insinuating SC, Auburn, and Georgia are programs at the same level in the SEC? I'm not interested in what he did at either of those dumpster fires when I can see what his play calling AT GEORGIA accomplished. As an OC at Georgia, he averaged under 30 once, and that was with Joe Cox. He was the QB coach for the winningest QB in SEC history, #2 in yards, #1 in TD, and a #1 overall draft pick.

More importantly, Kirby saw fit to hire him, and he knows a lot more about coaching winning football than either of us. Could he be wrong yes, but I would take him over the field when it comes to betting on his decision making in hiring coaches.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

You mean, like we did in numerous games in the past few years under Smart? Georgia, championship game aside, has never been a big run it up team. We tend to get up, and stop playing. That is nothing exclusive to Richt. What is different from then to now is player development and recruiting. We turn it off in the second half now, our second string is deep and talented enough to bring it home.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

First of all, Monken is STILL the offensive coordinator at UGA, as of this writing. Second, there is NO GUARANTEE that should he leave, Smart would automatically elevate Bobo into the job. That's just us fans speculating. Third, if Monken were to leave and Kirby were to promote Bobo, I trust Kirby's decision. Not because of anything Bobo has previously done, but just because I think Smart knows what he's doing. There are some exceptions, but I think most would agree that for the most part, he's done a pretty solid job of choosing assistant coaches, including his coordinators. He hit the jackpot with Monken when most of us had barely heard of him (and many of us wanted Bobo). No reason to think he couldn't strike gold again. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...c'mon man. A "year here" and "half a year there", isn't even close to, being in the vicinity of, "enough time" to build an offense.

Both of those teams were in trouble, long before Bobo got there. He was expected to "feed the throngs from a single basket of fish". And, to no one's surprise, he was unable to perform a miracle at Carolina or Auburn. His STATs at those 2 schools, for that short a period of time, are irrelevant.

FYI, if I'm not mistaken...and, I may be, Lol...I believe Bobo was the OC and Muschamp was the HC when Carolina came to Athens in 2019, and beat a much better UGA Team in OT.

• Options

"Mike Bobo has no imagination."

There it is, right there. That was the Dawg Nation hit on Bobo, the entire time he was at UGA, running up offensive numbers & records. It wasn't true, of course, but, you know how Dawg Fans are. Lol

When Richt first handed the reigns over to Bobo, he went through some expected growing pains, that earned him that label. But, he rapidly improved, to become one of the best Offensive Coordinators in the game.

If Richt had straightened that defense out, before Martinez could destroy it...UGA would've won at least 2 Nattys during Bobo's UGA coaching tenure.

The problem with UGA Fans, is they don't know how to modify their own opinions, based on the facts in front of them, on a month-to-month or year-to-year basis. If a guy is useless when he first arrives...he's always going to be useless...no improvement allowed or more accurately...acknowledged.

Kinda like Bennett's UGA stay. And, Daniels...best thing since sliced bread...destined to take UGA to new heights, until he wasn't...then, crickets. What's he on...his 4th school, now? There are Dawg Fans, still arguing that he should take over quarterbacking duties at UGA. LOL...talk about hard-headed.

• Options

My thinking is that Kirby has elevated the UGA brand to an all-time high and that because of all of his hard work and the way it has paid off with 2 Natties that he could have whoever he wanted as OC. JUst take your pick Kirby. Sort of like Nick does, except that in my mind he's on NIcks level now with the ability to just pick up the phone and say, "hey do you want to come be my OC." I've got a mill plus waiting on you.

JUst go get the brightest up and coming superstar playcaller you can find who is cutting edge or even pull a stud from the NFL again. That's my thinking. Some of you want to just go down the same ole road we've been down before. I get it. Bobo at OC and MUschamp at DC. But excuse me for thinking outside the box.

I guess with Bobo being such a superstar OC and innovative genuis we'd better go ahead and promise him the job if Monken leaves before NIck comes and steals him away from us. LOL!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let me tell you a little something about Mike Bobo, he was born and raised in a coaching family and has forgotten more about football offenses and defences than I'll ever know. His time under Richt produced a Richt offense. Given his time working with Monken and the Smart philosophy, Bobo would be a phenomenal OC but would be lured away quickly...I believe he'd turn down most offers unless something really special came along.....can you say BAMA.... That's all moot....The Monken TEAM is intact and 2023 promises to be a RECORD setting year for the DAWGS..............

• Options

Lot of Bobo friends and family on here, looks like. If you are, then say so. You don't have to tell who you are, or what relationship you are to him, but just admit it. Or say "I'm close friends with him or his family". Just be honest with us. You can still say what you say, but at least you're not just pretending to be a casual observer. You've got some skin in the game.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just go get Brian Hartline from Ohio State. Day named him OC but it’s actually Day who still calls the plays.

Dont get me wrong, wound love to see Monken stay, but one interview might be considered a courtesy, but two or more gives the impression he wants to move to the NFL.

• Options

I think.......>having Bobo come in and train under Monkin for a couple of years...then, when Monkin leaves, move Bobo (or, Bryan McClendon) into place with zero drop off, no change of philosophy, no terminology differences and up-to-date on prospects and recruits<......is an absolute **** of genius on the part of Kirby Smart.

He was planning for this, since Monkin's 1st year. You can look at Monkin's M.O. over his entire career. He doesn't stay anywhere more than 2 or 3 years. This was inevitable.

I would think Monkin would want to stay, for one more swipe at the ring (1st 3-peat in NCAAF History). He's probably just testing the water...planning for his eventual NFL move and gauging what teams are looking for, out of the OC in today's NFL World....and, also get team owner exposure for a future HC opening, which is what I think, is his ultimate goal.

"Doing nothing", in his eyes, is not moving forward and getting better. So...he's on an exposure/fact-finding mission. If somebody offers him "the world", he might take it...or, he might just, reject it and file it away for next year's OC/HC negotiations. Lol...we'll see.