Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ryan Day still upset about Marvin Harrison Jr hit, targeting non-call in loss to Georgia

SystemSystem Posts: 10,447 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageRyan Day still upset about Marvin Harrison Jr hit, targeting non-call in loss to Georgia

Ryan Day knew it was going to be a sensitive subject, as he turned to ask if he could in fact answer a question regarding the controversial hit Marvin Harrison Jr. took in the third quarter of the Peach Bowl.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Boo Hoo Hoo. Quick somebody get a bucket for all his tears !! If I had a nickel for every No Call on our Dawgs down through the years I’d have a pretty nice piggy bank !! Speaking of which what about the At Least seven holding calls on them Not Called ? You lost give it a rest.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Well said !! Bravo !! And what Really beat him was HIS Defense letting Stets and our Dawgs come roaring back in the 4th Qtr.!! As a HC that’s All on Him !!

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

Guessing he just needs to avoid SEC teams if he ever wants to win one. His chances are better..

What is it, 1 & 12 versus SEC in bowl games (all-time)???

I know at one point, it was 0 for 9……I just called them the Ohio State “0 for 9’ers”

• Options
    pappadawg23pappadawg23 Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

Ryan Day is on the hot seat. Lose to Michigan again this year and he is out as OSU coach.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The call was REVERSED. And it's not like the replay was unclear; you can see exactly what happened. That means the officials found clear evidence that the original call was wrong -- not even close.

It was a nasty, nasty hit -- just like DBs are trained to do. If Day wants to protect receivers by changing the rules so that a hit like Bullard's would qualify as targeting or a personal foul, he should start campaigning for that rule change right away.

But don't go whining about something that was entirely legal under the current rules -- just so you don't have to look inward at your coaching and your preparation ... and the fact that, in another year, your job may be in jeopardy

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I honestly don't see it as targeting. When I was watching the game live on TV, I did think it was targeting at first until I saw the various replays. After watching them, I don't see targeting, All I see is a defender making a great play to knock the ball from the receiver, and boy, he succeeded. Just a legit hard hit. Nothing more. I guess coach Day don't see those kind of hits in the Big Baby conference. We hit hard here in the SEC. It's football, not a dancing competition. Maybe that beard coloring he uses is affecting his brain or something. Tuck those lips in and quit crying, coach! The game is over! 😜

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ Junior
    • For it to be targeting one of these would have to apply. There was never any shot to the head or neck. The receiver went out of bounds came back in and touched the ball first. He hit him in the shoulder not the head. -
    • 1. Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward **** of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
    • 2. A crouch followed by an upward and forward **** to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
    • 3. Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
    • 4. Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Boo freakin' hoo. My football player got hurt by a football player while playing football in a football game.

Hey genius, check the rules. It was a textbook, "Greg Blue" hit. Next time teach your guy to hold onto the ball and not bang his head on the turf. If he had, you score. Seems that should be your focus.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well of course he does. The one thing I can say about Day was he was in desperate mode for that game. His emotions were like Shane Beamer on speed. He wanted and needed that win so bad he could feel it on every play and that play pretty much knocked them out. I understand why he is so wound up - he has proven he can’t win big games with equal and often better, talent and this game would’ve given him some breathing room. The replay was clear - the hit was indeed very hard but also very clean. The fact he was “knocked out” isn’t indicative of a helmet hit but of his head bouncing off the turf. He will be like uncle Rico soon - if only they hadn’t picked up that flag…

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

I can understand thinking it is targeting initially. I did as well! But replay clearly shows it wasn’t. If a head college football coach can’t look at a replay and say “ok, hard hit, but a clean hit”, then something is wrong with his knowledge of the rules of the game. Maybe he should teach his players how to play tough and hit like Kirby does. Some of those hits I’m certain have won UGA games over the years.