Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brock Bowers forgoes collective, passes on hundreds of thousands of dollars for Georgia teammates

SystemSystem Posts: 7,421 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageBrock Bowers forgoes collective, passes on hundreds of thousands of dollars for Georgia teammates

MOBILE, Ala. — It’s a safe bet Brock Bowers will be at the center of the Georgia offense next season regardless of who the coordinator or quarterback turn out to be.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Why would Monk go to TB? They have no QB, they are the 2nd worst team in the league when it comes to the salary cap situation. So getting a QB will either A, mortgage their future draft picks or B, cut or trade star players. They are in very bad shape with the salary cap. Worst situation to go into in the NFL. Kyle Trask? Who has not thrown 1 pass in the NFL is their top QB with Brady retiring. OMG!

And then throw in that their HC so far has only proven in 2 stops he cannot win. So unless Monken will get a guarantee that he can be HC if they have to fire him, going to TB is a losing proposition for 2-3 years at minimum. Unless they mortgage the future or get rid of star players...which is a band-aid most likely, then it all falls apart. Who would want to go there if they want to be successful?

I mean does he think since he coached Bennett to 2 Natty's he can go there and bring in Andy Dalton or someone cheap? They can't afford Carr without making moves that hurt the team in other areas. Draft Bennett? That would be great for Stet as a likely backup but let's be honest, its almost the most worst-case scenario job that there is in the NFL right now.

Unless Monk just is that tired of the college game and loves Tampa that much, OK. But if he wants a MUCH better opportunity in the NFL or to be a college HC, he should stay at UGA 1-2 more years. At least 1 more and finish it out with Bowers. Yeah, 1 more year at UGA makes most since. Go for 3 in a row and try to make history and get a much better job. I say he stays!

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is the Bowers standard! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Amazing and unselfish young man. Wish the world were full of more like him....

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

DGD!!! That's a fantastic example of selflessness. Team first.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A true DGD! Much respect to him.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If schools are not supposed to have anything to do with these NIL deals and such, what does it mean that Kirby Smart and Josh Brooks have "publicly endorsed" the Classic City Collective? Does that mean there are no other UGA-related collectives? Or that they would prefer that players use that one? Also, is there a limit on how much a collective can "collect" and spend? I just wonder, if Bowers got in, couldn't said collective just get more funds with which to pay him and others? Just seems like with him in one, it would be easier to fundraise. But they ain't asking me. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow !! Way to go Brock !! Wish there were a trophy for DGD, he’d sure get it !! Go Dawgs !! Go Brock Bowers !!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Move over Nakobe and Jordan, The Greeks got a brand new #1 FAVORITE DGD....though you all can represent the Pro Classification, Brock is my fav "amature" DGD!!! I'd say next year give the rock to Brock.....he could run it down the middle of 285 during rush and every member of the DAWGS would block cars and trucks for him!

• Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 80 ✭✭ Sophomore
  • Options
    KickJudyKickJudy Posts: 80 ✭✭ Sophomore

I thought I knew how valuable Brock Bowers is to the team, but I had no idea. He is truly a **** Good Team Dog. He just keeps amazing me.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great kid. The headline made it sound like he was opting out of a collective that would have benefited his teammates, so I’m glad the article clarified quite the opposite.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

@MikeGriffith

Mike...I agree with @osmosiphobe.

When I first saw the headline, I was curious, as to why Brock Bowers would want to deny his teammates, "Collective Money".

Is this an example of the old "bait 'n switch", or is it, just an honest mistake. Lol

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

THE LEGEND GROWS...

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

i believe what we are seeing is that the collective is primarily for paying players who can’t get individual deals. If you are a star like Brock or Stetson, you can command big NIL money individually. Collective money can go to fund a stipend for a position group like say, the offensive line. Obviously because the O-line is a big group, each player is going to get less, but everyone is getting something. There can be individual stars in just about every position group. Jordan Davis became a fan favorite as a DL, and they will be able to get individual NIL deals worth much more. But the rest of the group can get collective deals. Make sense?

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Are you saying that, you are limited to an "either/or, but not both" decision?

If that's the case...Stetson Bennett did the same thing Bowers is doing...last year. If Bennett earned "over 1 million dollars in non-NIL money" in '21 and the rule is as inferred by me...then Bennett couldn't take money from the "Collective" last year...for the same reason Bowers can't take money from the "Collective", this year.

Where was the love for Stetson Bennett, when he did it. Lol...nevermind, Dawg Nation. We know.

I don't know how all this works. It's all changing so fast, it's hard to keep up. Especially, when ya don't really care. Lol

I didn't think they could put limits on the source and amount of income a player gets...as long as it's legal, obviously. Lol

Unless, maybe it's a "Collective" rule.

If that's the case...I completely understand why Bowers, did what he did.

Otherwise...Why not take the big(ger) chunk of money the "Collective" gives you...and distribute it among the deserving players, yourself. Get your money from non-NIL sources.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I thought i had a good grasp of the whole NIL deal, but the "collective" has me lost. I'd like to see an article on the "collective"; how does it use a player's Name, Image and Likeness?