Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

TCU captain: Todd Monken’s shifty Georgia scheme and Brock Bowers’ talents keyed title game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageTCU captain: Todd Monken’s shifty Georgia scheme and Brock Bowers’ talents keyed title game

MOBILE, Ala. — TCU’s game plan was sound: Limit Brock Bowers, stop the run and keep Stetson Bennett in the pocket.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He took his lumps like a man. Respect.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A true competitor. Not making excuses or blaming refs. TCU was outmanned from the jump and they knew it. All you have you do is look at his Bowers and Darnell comment. Not a lot of fast and shifty TEs like Bowers and a man beast in Darnell. What makes them even worse to cover, they're both team 1st players. As soon as one of their guys has the ball, he's gonna do anything in his power to help his guy to score.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, Bowers and D Washington handed the TCU defenders a new look, but the credit goes to mastermind Todd Monken. UGA needs Monken this season. This guy is an offensive genius.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

“It was the motions that discombobulated our secondary and got them confused"??

Maybe they need smarter players & coaches, don't believe I would have said that. On second thought, I guess that is better than saying Stetson "F" Bennett beat you....hey?

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

@Eastmandawg

100% classless people like you are why Alabama and Ohio State fans should totally keep whining. People like you are going to just invent reasons to be upset, claim that you aren't getting the credit that you "deserve" (as if you are on the team or ever played a second of any organized sport in your life) and use any excuse you can to trash an opponent that fails to do anything other than say "we stink, UGA is the greatest in history and just getting a chance to be on the same field with them was an honor that we weren't worthy of" or some garbage like that.

That is what college sports has come to. Root for the athletes and enjoy the tears of the increasingly insufferable "fans".

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

@thadec are you having your monthly visit?

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 165 ✭✭✭ Junior

If TCU had played UGA 10 times they would be 0-10. Period. As for Cryin Ryan well he can let the tears keep flowing.

• Options
    edited February 2023

LOL!…..a little presumptuous are we? It seems as though you are the one that is upset.

Relax, nothing personal…don’t take it that way.

It’s more of a dig/sarcasm to MG. It seems he can never give SB any credit for his accomplishments at UGA….and he goes out of his way to try to prove that point. It’s been going on for quite some time.

Without Stetson, the Dawgs more than likely would have not accomplished what they did the last two years…..I’m eternally grateful.

Football is a team game, if you are depending on scheme to win, more than likely you have already lost.

Players win games, believe even Kirby will tell you that.

FWIW, I did play….and that was past HS level.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Goes to show you a couple of things...First off, replacing the talent of Monken will not be easy. Second, in general, the player recruiting and talent level between the SEC and Big 12 is pretty wide. TCU had 4 + weeks to prepare for Michigan. They had a better game plan and executed it well. Michigan just didn't have their act together after beating Ohio State. TCU was the underdog with a chip on its shoulder - ready to prove to the college football world that they belonged, and they beat a good Michigan team. It's a mystery to me how TCU just collapsed in the next game against the Dawgs, but the talent of Monken and the players overwhelmed an outmatched Frogs team. This time, the Dawgs had a bit of a chip on their shoulder and whipped those Frogs. Emotion and motivation are SO key to winning as demonstrated by these matchups.

Ohio State played their absolute best game of the season against the Dawgs after 4+ weeks of preparation and hunkering for redemption. The Dawgs played a less than stellar game but performed when it counted and came out on top. Lady luck had something to do with that.

• Options

The disparity in talent level and depth just jumped off the “page”. The dawgs were hitting on all cylinders (execution), as good if not better than the Oregon game. A credit to all…players, coaches, staff, etc.

But gotta say this, if TCU was playing anybody other than Georgia….I would have been pulling for the Horned Frogs.

What a great year they had.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hey Dee.....I feel your pain completely.....when I was a kid, I snuck under a tent into a Hoochie Coochie show.....it was the motions that completely discombobulated me too!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Monken leaves and our next OC does not utilize the “muddle huddle” that Monken has perfected, I’ll be EXTREMELY disappointed.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

TCU had a very sound plan....they just didn't/couldn't implement their plan because of the talent and depth disparity which existed between the two teams. Like a house of cards trying to support a 50 lb barbell, TCU is a mediocre SEC team. The same applies to Michigan, who gave an absolutely poor effort against TCU. Dee, you are a good player. Your pick-6 was a gift....the result of a poorly thrown pass and your attentiveness.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

"It’s more of a dig/sarcasm to MG. It seems he can never give SB any credit for his accomplishments at UGA….and he goes out of his way to try to prove that point. It’s been going on for quite some time." - Eastmandawg

@Eastmandawg - So, I felt sorry for you when thadec made his crushing comment on you, but after your comment above, I think you had it coming. When oh, when are you and other cupcakes on this site going to stop trashing MG for reporting the news? You say he is biased, but I don't think you know what that means. Does some of his reporting seem negative in it's outcome? Sure, sometimes there something negative that needs reporting. Does that mean that MG has it out for Bennett? No, it means he calls it as he sees it. If you will do a bit of research and check his reporting during the playoffs and the natty, you will see him reporting very positively about Stetson - Why? Because Stetson was doing positive things - he did the same last year as well. You just refuse to understand that negative news can be reported without the reporter having bias against the subject. You sir, are the one with bias and it comes out everytime you trash MG. Quit holding Bennett's water and move on. He has proven he can be a screwup and be successful with the best of us. He'll survive without you.

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why does everyone keep saying Ohio St played their A game against us but we didn't? Is that because people need to make an excuse as to why it was so close since so many in this blog had the Dawgs wining big? I think OSU had something to do with us being less than stellar. No chance we come out flat for a playoff game

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Ohio St did bring their A game against us. They had to hear for 2-3 weeks about how bad they were in the Michigan game and how UGA was going to beat them, how soft they were, they weren't tough enough. TCU no doubt heard that too, going into the Michigan game. And Lo and behold look what happened! THey beat a better team.

Ohio St has some dudes. Outside of BAMA they have as many dudes as UGA has, if not more, especially on the offense. 1st round QB and receiver. Their O-line was obviously stout. DId we play our best game? I don't think so. It was the only time this year where the thought popped into my head, we could seriously lose this game. And no I never thought about losing in the Missouri game.

I'd say the Ohio St game was a good effort, but not great on our part. SB just **** on a few throws, so he ddn't play his best for some of the game. I thought our pass coverage was below par, considering how we shut down Tenn and TCU, but they have good receivers and a great QB , who scrambled around long enough to buy time for his receivers to get open.

Our weakness was our inablity to get to the QB at times and our pass coverage. THe LSU game sort of gave them a blueprint.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let me start with this...like @Eastmandawg, I played Football, Baseball, Basketball, and anything else that was competitive...including shot-put and discus in track. I played under former UGA RB "John Donaldson".

What Eastmandawg and many others on Dawg Nation are talking about, with "Griffith vs Bennett"...is his propensity to accentuate the negative and eliminate (or downplay) the positive...ONLY when it comes to Bennett.

If he can do it to Bennett, he can do it to others. It's important to know this, in order to identify when he uses that technique, on other Dawgs.

For instance...Monkin installed the various "motion & shift" options, in the offense...kudos. But, it's up to Bennett, to read the defense and control those "motions & shifts" at the line of scrimmage, presnap. Monkin isn't on the field to whisper in Bennett's ear, which players to "motion/shift" and where they should "motion/shift" to....or which defenders present the best mismatches...or who to throw the ball to...or where it should be thrown (i.e., fade, back-shoulder, timing, inside, outside, over-the-top, etc.).

All of THOSE things are in the QBs control, in Monkin's offense. That's where Mike chokes on giving credit to Bennett...and always has. It's not "news" to say that.

Even Paul Finebaum recognizes it to an extent. He thinks Bennett is Heisman worthy...now. But, over the last 3 yrs, he has had to defer to Mike Griffith and Elle Duncan (etal.) on UGAs QB situation. And, Griff (and others) has flat out been WRONG about Bennett and UGAs QB Room from the start.

Where some people seem to have a problem with Mike, is they aren't sure if he's being deliberately obtuse...or he just doesn't understand the QB position.

If it's the latter...he's not alone and there's no shame in being in the company of so many others that don't really understand what the QBs responsibilities are. Lol The QB position in UGA's system, is so much more complex than most other College Football teams. It's an NFL offense, which explains why Beck, BVG and Stockton are hanging around, waiting for their bite at the apple.

Beck's ability to make the reads and control the offense has improved dramatically from 2021 to 2022. Not enough information, to comment on BVG or Stockton.