Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Quarterback of highest-scoring offense in Georgia history reflects on Mike Bobo’s 2014 season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageQuarterback of highest-scoring offense in Georgia history reflects on Mike Bobo’s 2014 season

ATHENS — Mike Bobo was the architect of the highest scoring team in Georgia football history, but not all Bulldogs’ fans are bought into the new offensive coordinator.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Another good article MG. I personally think the hire makes sense and who knows, maybe Bobo’s different approach and change up in tendencies from a play calling perspective will prove to be a good thing. That said, I take exception to your little dig that Georgia ran up the score against an overmatched TCU squad. Why even go there? Them being overmatched - in the natty mind you - was their problem. If you want textbook examples of scores being run up, Tennessee under Heuple, or Florida under Creyer or Spurrier can give you that. I appreciate your honesty and bluntness at times, but my goodness, allow yourself to be just a *little* bit of a homer now and then. If you want to take pity on the Horned Frogs go write about them and see how many more CFPs you get to cover.

• Options
    DawgfromILMDawgfromILM Posts: 27 ✭ Freshman
    edited February 2023

Purgatory. That's where we were with Bobo, Richt, etc. Richt was once referred to as the most underperforming 9.5 wins per year D1 coach. All those top 5 recruiting classes and a 9.5 wins per year record. RIcht was OK with it. Our only hope is that Smart won't be. If we are to suffer with Bobo, it will be for only one year. Smart won't put up with it.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have to say, the info in the article above is "comforting" regarding Bobo.

I did hate to see Monken's inevitable departure That said, I'm no expert, but can those more versed than I tell me whether Monken's several previous teams were world beaters? Nobody can question the Dawgs success the 2nd and 3rd years he was OC here.

I do feel as though Kirby Smart was following a plan when he announced Bobo's promotion about an hour after Monken left.

And, I really haven't seen much here from critics on who they would suggest over Bobo.

• Options
    HondaDawgHondaDawg Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

It's interesting to see all the favorable Bobo articles as if history didn't happen.

Did yall like plopping down the cash for season tix & watching UGA go to the Belk bowl ?

I didnt then and I dont now.

I guess the next article will be about how the fan base was wrong about stetson therefore they will be wrong about Bobo.

Bottom line, Richt and Bobo stayed predictable and got passed by.

In comparison Kirby chose to radically update the offense while maintaining strong line of scrimmage and QB recruiting.

Question I have is how was this missed then and is that the version of Bobo we are getting now.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Again, as said in the article and is a pretty accurate statement," offense was never the problem when Bobo was there." I guess defenses don't matter in the overall results of a program?

Defenses win championships, complimentary football do not apply when Bobo was at UGA, only offenses? Come on man! Head coaches do not matter either when it comes to the team attitude and fire? Or wins and losses? Come on man, look at all the factors!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

I think the votes below are a decent sampling of where the fanbase sits with this, and can't wait for spring training to begin. In fact, many of us see "Bobo at the ready" as an incredibly fortunate circumstance to have, given familiarity, body of work, recruiting ability, cohesiveness, seamlessness, likely longevity if/when successful, etc... particularly since any other "sexier" options out there will still be there in a few years if Kirby and many of us fans discover we're flat wrong about Bobo. With stability and staying the course at such a premium, I'm quite stoked about the prospects for big success from this 2023 staff, and I suspect the current team and recruits on the radar are as well. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

@HondaDawg

The positive Bobo articles should only stop once Monken fans acknowledge that 2020 was a terrible year on offense, so much so that it was the only year since Kirby's first in 2016 that UGA didn't win the SEC East. AND when Monken fans acknowledge who the UGA OC was in 2020 (to make it easy, it wasn't James Coley or Jim Chaney).

Why UGA's offense was subpar in 2020 wasn't a great mystery.

A. SB IV and the other QBs were bad

B. the WRs and TEs were mediocre

C. the RBs were young (meaning they didn't have the talent to make an immediate impact like the 1st round caliber guys Moreno, Gurley, Chubb, Michel and Marshall did)

D. the OL was merely average.

All of those things got better in 2021, with Brock Bowers' arrival fixing B as the most prominent. And then - wow! - all of a sudden Monken went from being the guy that was fired by both Tampa and Cleveland in the NFL to being a genius. (Except, er, it didn't happen in the first game against Clemson when UGA failed to score an offensive TD. No one was calling Monken a genius then.)

We just want to know why it is OK to blame Bobo's playcalling for the clear lack of talent at UGA (don't believe me ... just compare UGA in 2021 to UGA in any year that Bobo was the OC here, and remember that the draft occurs for the previous year's team so the 2022 draft applies to UGA in 2021 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Bulldogs_in_the_NFL_Draft) but either no one admits that UGA had a bad year on offense in 2020, or they don't admit that Monken was the guy calling the plays for it.

I say that with Carson Beck at QB, the interior OL coming back, 3 very good (though not great) tailbacks, a future College Football Hall of Famer at TE plus the deepest group of WRs that UGA has ever had, that great 2012 season where UGA came within a play of winning a national title should be the floor for the 2023 team. (And as I have stated several times, that play should have been made on defense. People who blame the offense for UGA getting roasted by Eddie Lacy and Amari Cooper need help. And people who believe that putting up 35 points on Alabama's #2 ranked defense in 2012 - they were giving up 10.7 points per game - should have been as easy as outscoring Ohio State was this year need even more help. Particularly since Michigan put up 45 on that same defense and did it without Blake Corum their best player.)

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@thadec

Go back and look at JTs stats in 2020. Nothing at all bad about that. He improved the offense by close to 10 points a game when he took over. Not Monken's fault we didn't win the SEC east that year because he didn't have a competent QB the first half of the season. Look at Pickens stats those last 4 games of 2020. He almost had as many recieving yards in just 4 games with JT as our leading reciever(Ladd) had all season in 2021. Kearis Jackson is not average. Burton exploded when he had a QB with enough arm strength to push the ball downfield. We beat both Bama and Fla if we had JT all year

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You probably aught to go back and review that season. Until Bennett injured his shoulder in the Florida game...Jackson (WR) and Cook (RB) did as much in the receiving department, in the 1st half of the season... as Pickens and Burton, in the second half.

Monkin was running his style offense...until Bennett's injury. Once Daniels was installed the following week, UGA reverted to a prostyle with a lot of play-action and no perimeter passing. Which limited throws to backs like Cook.

Statistics only tell a part of ANY story. You have to ADD context. Actually...you can use statistics to support either side of an argument...depending on how you frame em. Lol

BTW...Where's JT, now? Do you know WHY he failed at West VA.? I'll tell you...or you can just read their opinions in the "The Smoking Musket". He failed for the same reasons he failed to win the starting job at UGA. Lack of, "Mobility" and "Pocket Presence".

UGA may not have ANY CFP Trophies...if he stays. Besides...he was no better than an inexperienced Beck, as a backup option in Monkin's 2022 version of the "air raid style offense".

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"run up the score in a 65-7 CFP Championship Game win."

@MikeGriffith ...great article Mike. I don't agree with the above statement...if you meant it, the way it sounds.

Even the game announcers said that UGA wasn't "running up the score". They were "just running and TCU's not stopping em". Lol...with the bench emptied out. TCU had no business in that game.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawg61 - JT was Monken's hand-picked QB -- remember? Jamie Newman wasn't gonna work, so Monken called JT and they had that meeting of the minds. Spread and Air Raid was gonna be the game ..... but JT wasn't ready for the opener, Carson was having issues adjusting to college life and D'Wan had a bad start....so in came Stet, and he got it done, big time,.

Until, the second half of the Alabama game -- shutout, 3 picks, not good.

More struggles in a road win at Kentucky, and then the shoulder sprain vs. Fla.

JT threw for 401 the next game against State, and then Kirby took his foot off the gas against Bobo and SC, I think they only threw the ball 16 times. Big numbers at MIzzou, then comeback win over Cinci.

But Monken came to throw the ball -- the problem was, injuries at QB and WR --- and Stet made those problems go away by being strong in the RPO game.

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Blah,Blah, Blah. Why these comparisons, MIKE G. The hire has been made. Coach K.S. has made it. Period. He has made good coaching choices thus far... Shut up and let the man do, WHAT HE DOES. WIN NATTY'S. When he stumbles, we will have a conversation.

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Entire article is CLICK BAIT

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Quit defending Mike Bobo. He's our guy. He has done a fantastic at Georgia. He's studied under one of the most talented OCs in football. Let's let him do his job with best players he's ever worked with, and the best head coach in the history of the UGA. I can't wait until the beginning of the '23 season to see what we will be able to do. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    DawggieDawggie Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

These are the same geniuses who said every week in 2021 that “UGA would NEVER win a CFA Title with SBlV at QB. The geniuses were right. We won TWO with him! Keep on looking silly. It works out good for us. Lol. By the way you guys are who SBlV was talking to at the celebration last month. Congrats.

• Options

@ColumbusDawg I think that was the biggest takeaway -- Mark Richt's offenses were solid, just as Kirby's defenses have been the real key to the national titles

• Options

@thadec You nailed it, lots of revisionist history going on amongst some