Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Quarterback of highest-scoring offense in Georgia history reflects on Mike Bobo’s 2014 season

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MG, THINK for once before you spout off....if we indeed wanted to "run up" the score of the 2022 NC game, we would have left the 1 & 2's in after the half to finish the game. The final score would have been 88, 95, 102 to 7....that would have been unsportsmanlike, thus the massive substitution giving everyone but the cheerleaders snaps!

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BigDawg61

Remind me again how many games JT lost as the starter for UGA. And why did the offense get instantly better when he walked on the field in 2020. And if improving West Virginia's offense by 2 TDs a game over the previous season is a failure I'd sure like Beck or BVG to "fail"

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Clay,

I think the world of JT and it breaks my heart that he is not succeeding on the field, but please do your homework on his accomplishments at UGA. I keep hearing folks like you touting JT’s amazing accomplishments with our Dawgs, but I’m not sure you are seeing what really took place. Yes, JT had 7 wins which is great…..please look closer at those wins. Five were against teams with losing records and in the games against winning teams (Clemson and Cincinnati) JT accounted for 1 passing TD. That’s 6 points in 8 quarters. In fact, against a 4 loss Clemson team we only scored 3 offensive points. I’m totally confident that Bennett would have easily matched and/or exceeded JT’s output in those big games especially with healthy receivers like Pickens. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Add up all the INTs Stets threw against Bama and Florida and see how well he performed in big games(the answer would be in the double digits if defenders could catch balls that hit them in the hands or bounced off their chest). How many 400 yard games did Stetson have? Zero. Yet JT didn't play a game for a year and a half with an ACL injury and came off the scout team to have game in his first start that Stetson NEVER had in his entire career. All that was made of Stetson having all spring and fall with the first team to throw 20 TDs all regular season. Wow I'm still not impressed

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

C’mon Clay……you need to let this stuff go and quit ruminating on what maybe could have happened. The only stats that most of us care about is the 29-1 team record with Bennett behind center. I can play those silly “stat games” with you all day to make my points like: How many rushing TDs did JT and Bennett have? How many championships did JT win with his 4 teams? Who had the best average yards per carry, JT or Stetson? Who had the highest sack rate per game? Who couldn’t score against good opponents with winning records? Who has won 5 playoff MVPs and who has won zero? And I could go on and on and on and……. Please do your best to let it go because both QBs had their skills and both are really good…..BUT just one is a championship QB and Heisman finalist. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

Points scored stats mean virtually nothing. Wins is the only stat that matters. 2014 Georgia loses to South Carolina. Loses to Florida. Loses to Ga. Tech.

• Options
    DawgfromILMDawgfromILM Posts: 27 ✭ Freshman

Richt was the offensive play caller, not Bobo. You're right, defense was our problem. Now we have defense with Kirby, will Bobo have Richt on speed dial from the booth?

• Options

So, now that we've got the defense box checked with Kirby, will Bobo have Richt on speed dial?

• Options

C'mon man. Richt was the offensive genius, not Bobo. Problem was, we had no defensive genius to "complement" RIcht.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm gonna give you time to answer your own question before I respond. I'll give you a clue. It has nothing to do with statistics or hype. Tick tock.

• Options

Actually Richt officially turned play-calling duties over to Bobo, in 2008 or 2009.

• Options

Yet JT didn't play a game for a year and a half with an ACL injury and came off the scout team to have game in his first start that Stetson NEVER had in his entire career.____

LOL...What "entire career"? 2020 was Bennett's 1st REAL year at the NCAA DIV1 level. Daniels had started for the USC Trojans for over 1 complete year before he got injured. Not exactly a "scout team".

Before 2020, Bennett was a UGA afterthought. A trivia answer, for the question, "Whom was Jake Fromm's backup in 2019" or "who played the part of Baker Mayfield on UGA's Scout Team, in the run-up to the 2017 Rose Bowl". He spent 2017 & 18, just learning the things he didn't learn about being a QB and a man, in little ole Blackshear Georgia. He was a late developer and "a project" that can be labeled a "Super-Success".

What about Daniels? He was a Child protégé that never really met expectations...even before the injury. An underachieving QB being propped up by a small, but, steadfast and dedicated group of fans. Groupies, if you will. Lol...not necessarily football fans.

• Options

Underachieving? He was starting for USC when he could have been playing his senior year in high school. What i meant was Daniels was on the scout team a UGA while rehabbing the injury. Also Bubba Bill Stetson didn't go 29-1 as a starter when he lost to Bama twice. That's just simple math or revisionist history.

• Options

Underachieving? It took Stetson till he was 25 years old to become a decent college QB? Why didn't he skip his senior year of high school to go be a starter for a major college program?

• Options
    edited February 2023

2 words..."Blackshear"..."Georgia". You must be from up around the Macon/Athens/Augusta/Atlanta nexus. Where Stetson came from...there were no Camp Invites, Media Exposure, Competent QB coaching or offensive geniuses. When we get one...he takes a job in North Ga., if he has any ambition.

So...Bennett didn't have all the specialized training and PR advantages that Daniels and other top-tier QBs were afforded in High School. Not many guys can make that leap...from "small town" South Georgia to Heisman Candidate with 2 Natty's and 4 CFP MVP's....I don't care if you give em to age 35. Lol

BTW...Bennett didn't graduate from high school till he was 19...and turned 20 in his Freshman year...2 months before the 2017 Rose Bowl...and 2 months after he started his first College Class.

I just don't get why his age is being brought up so much. I just wonder...would that be the case, if he were a black kid from Anywhere, Ga.. This whole thing between Bennett and the media, smacks of racism to me. Isn't Tennessee's Hendon Hooker roughly the same age as Bennett? How many times have you heard that brought up by Dawg Nation or The Finebaum Show guest contributors? The Jury's still out on that one. Lol

Are we going to hold his disadvantages against him. His issue was more about lack of qualified Coaching and lack of exposure. He overcame those things, through shear talent and will.

Bennett created an opportunity for himself and busted his ass to make sure he was ready for it when it came. That's exactly the lesson we'd like to teach all of our youth. Textbook Winner...yet you and others manage to find fault with it. I don't get that.

If he had not had the raw talent to play QB at the Div1 level...you would've never known his Name. That's what kept him in the mix. His football IQ finally caught up with his skills under intense Coaching from Kiby Smart, Todd Monkin and Mike Bobo.

Just to be clear...I've been pulling for Daniels to succeed at every turn. Still am...but, I think the writing is on the wall. He is not the type of QB that is going to succeed in an offense that REQUIRES a mobile QB. And, that's where most teams, at the professional level, are going. The game is in transition, making drop-back, pocket-passers virtually obsolete.

If he could build up his strength and body mass, maybe he could be a Roethlisberger type QB. Daniels has a cannon for an arm, with laser-like accuracy...but, what good is it, if he can't buy himself enough time to find the open receiver, when blocking breaks down?

That's when he starts making mistakes...under pressure. According to PFF...He is only average against a rush (under pressure). That's where Bennett lives. Stetson thrives on pressure, much like Bryce Young and other great QBs of the time.

• Options

Richt never turned over the duties to Bobo completely. He was very active on the headset. Always.

• Options

There was a story written about it at the time. I'm sure wouldn't be hard to go back and find it. But, officially...Richt turned the duties over to Bobo and publicly announced it.

To your point....yeah, he still wore a headset, just like Smart does today. In fact, most Head Coaches wear a headset, whether the offense or the defense, is on the field...to ensure the overall game plan is being followed and to interject, if necessary.

He may have had input...I'm sure he did...but, the full load of OC, including "play calling duties" was passed over to Bobo prior to the end of the 2006 season....and announced prior to the start of the 2007 season.

• Options

Remind me, which year did we win the NC after Richt turned the play calling over to Bobo?

• Options

The year that the Dawgs put a good defense on the field. Oh yeah...that never happened under Richt. Well...not since Van Gorder left and before Pruitt arrived (which was before Bobo and after Bobo, respectively).

Hence...no Natty's. Bobo had absolutely nothing to do with UGA's inability to close the deal. That distinguishing honor goes to Willie Martinez and Todd Grantham....and, of course Mark Richt.

Bobo did his part.