Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett a ‘tricky’ evaluation entering 2023 NFL Draft Combine

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett a ‘tricky’ evaluation entering 2023 NFL Draft Combine

Stetson Bennett will be one of 12 Georgia players present at next week’s NFL draft combine in Indianapolis. Bennett will get to meet with teams while also partaking in drills and athletic tests at the combine.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SBIV certainly has demonstrated, via stats, the ability and skill needed to win. No other current draft eligible QB has two NC's! IMHO, SBIV should be the #1 QB taken but only by a team that has complimentary supporting team members....as it takes a TEAM to win not just a great QB.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Stetson Bennett a ‘tricky’ evaluation entering 2023 NFL Draft Combine”

I think that’s a fair statement to describe his situation going forward. SBIV has earned the opportunity to show what he can do, and I believe he will get a fair and objective evaluation from the SME’s that represent their NFL teams. It will be interesting to see this evaluation process take place after having proven himself a winner at the CFB level, but not measuring up to the prototypical NFL QB size. While it may be “tricky” as the article suggest, I think he will be evaluated fairly and that’s probably all he’s asking for.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd take SB over Levis and Richardson from Fla every day of the week if I were building a team.

Put him in the SF style offense and he's going to beat the pants off of you. Is he a Tom Brady guy at 6' 5" who can stand in the pocket and beat you to death with slants over the middle? No! But he would have been a huge improvement over Mariota at Atlanta this past season.

• Options
    • This guy went in the 1st round , although he was projected as a 2nd rounder. Here is his scouting report from one scout:
    • Absolutely horrendous footwork; has not gotten better since freshman year; Plays in run-option offense; Doesn't throw smooth ball; bad touch; Inaccurate on intermediate routes; Extremely long release; Very bad passing mechanics; Locks onto primary receiver; No pro reads in offense; Left-handed; Tucks and runs; Doesn't make pro-style passing progression reads; Comes from program with bad QB pedigre.

I'm sure the Left handed part gave it away. Tebow! Of course there were things the scouts liked about him, his size, his strength, athleticism, and his deep ball accuracy. But mostly it was his charisma and "intangibles" they liked the most.

I just don't see SB having that many negatives as Tebow had going for him.

I think SB improved a lot in his final 17 games. I believe he only threw 1 interception in his last 5 playoff/SECC games. And threw for 17 TD's. Pretty impressive no matter who you stack that up against!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

QB is a different evaluation. Face of the franchise. Leader of the team. Tebow was considered the ultimate team leader and squeaky clean, flawless character. How many times was Tebow arrested for public intoxication or appeared on the Good Morning America show inebriated? Just facts to balance your narrative.

Tebow also has prototypical NFL QB size. Tebow also won a Heisman and 2 NC's. Oh and he still holds the SEC record for TD's. He knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs as starting QB.

SBIV's draft position will be made at the combine. How well he throws the ball will be the biggest factor. All the GM's will be talking to him to explain his lapses in judgment. Arrest, GM America, comments at the parade. Don't forget, SBIV is expected to be more mature as a 25 yo. His age would work against him at any position but QB. No NFL team wants to use a high draft choice on a position player that has already used up 3 years of prime career years. But at QB? IDK.

All of SBIV's "questions" will be answered after the thorough combine throwing and personality evaluation. These areas are where the extra time, at the SR Bowl, with NFL decision makers could have helped him.

Personally I like him as a backup QB in the NFL. He can definitely come into a game and shake things up with his mobility. SBIV improved his decision making. He also improved at finding 2nd receivers with the additional time w/Monken.

Cooper Rush was 5-0 as starter for Dallas this past year while DPrescott was out with injuries. SBIV has more arm and more mobility than Cooper Rush.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just realized why Bryce Young is getting 1st round grades. He looked so much better than the rest of the Alabama squad. UGA is loaded with talent and Alabama isn’t. Let that sink in for a moment. SBIV is very similar athlete to BY. Arm strength may be a deciding factor and the combine will provide some real side by side comparisons.

• Options
    CharlestonDawgFanCharlestonDawgFan Posts: 85 ✭✭✭ Junior

It didn’t dawn on me until I read another article, but Monken going to Baltimore could be a great move for Bennett’s NFL prospect. They could draft him in a late round as insurance, especially given the QB situation there this offseason. I’m sure Monken has the ear of the coaches and GM and they saw what the two of them have already done together.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Through the good, bad, in between, Stetson is a Dawg. He’s a Dawg that certainly helped contribute to two National Titles for our Dawgs. I’m gonna be pulling hard for the guy to Continue living The Dream. If he can do well it’ll be good for him as a person, and it’ll be good for UGA. I Will say he needs to quash any and all off field drama. Just for his own good if nothing else. He’s going on toward 26 yrs. old now, time to establish new and higher priorities in life, which means Off field as much as on. Folks don’t misinterpret this next comment as I assure y’all I’m saying it in a Positive way. But take that Terrible, Terrible tragedy late the night of the UGA National Title Celebration. That shows how a person can be alive and enjoying life, and in a Instant it’s all over on This earth. So Yes by all means Enjoy Life, savor it Far Better than a hungry Dawg on a fine steak. But be careful not to mar all the Wonderful Memories by doing some idiotic stunt that will be a Bad part of the photo album of memories, Like I Have Done in My life. You don’t Just Gotta do something foolish to have a good time !! You can have a Great time doing things that the vast majority of people will admire and respect you for. Live The Dream, this goes for Everyone, what ever your dream might be !!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Richardson sticks out like a fat guy trying to hide behind a lamp post. But other than that, I see your point.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Except that somewhere along the line, I got the sense that they weren't real tight, neither exactly heaping praise on the other. They did make each other look pretty darned good, however... so maybe as pros, they could keep their eyes on the prize and work similar magic. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Brooksie

Bryce Young isn't going to throw at the combine or even work out. He is going to show up, take height and weight measurements and do the medical exams - teams are going to want to take a good look at his shoulder - plus do interviews. He is going to throw and do the other workouts at the pro day. Guys who are A. proven passers and B. first round pick locks never throw at the combine. So C.J. Stroud won't throw either. Guys who are considered to be first round talent but didn't have a college career that indicates it like Will Levis and Anthony Richardson are going to throw, as well as guys who aren't considered first round material.

• Options

@reddawg1

The San Francisco offense was only viable with QBs with weak arms when it was new and teams didn't know how to defend it. But after teams learned how to scheme and draft for it, the west coast offense began to require strong arms like everyone else. This happened way back in the early 1990s really when the 49ers switched out Joe Montana for Steve Young - though more for salary and age reasons than arm strength - and particularly when the Green Bay Packers traded for Brett Favre and drafted Mark Brunell, plus the Eagles drafted Donovan McNabb, and the Broncos switched to the west coast offense with John Elway. Even back then the Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles gave Ty Detmer, a QB without an NFL arm, a shot and it didn't work out. Finally, Joe Montana's arm was quite a bit stronger than Stetson Bennett's anyway. Were Montana playing today, his arm wouldn't be considered deficient at all. Montana played in the NFL in a different era where the vertical passing game off play action was everything. Half the QBs starting in the NFL today would have been considered to have weak arms by the 1980s standards. Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen and Justin Herbert would be fine but Joe Burrow would be considered a west coast offense guy. Jalen Hurts and Lamar Jackson would be playing tailback or linebacker. Baker Mayfield, a #1 overall pick, would have probably been taken in the 6th or 7th round. Brady has a stronger arm than Mayfield - and is taller - and he was taken in the 5th. Finally the west coast offense requires consistent accuracy which is something that SB IV has never been associated with. Donovan McNabb had a cannon arm and so did Brett Favre, but they both made a lot of mistakes and would have been better off in a different system. Even John Elway, Denver used a dominant running game (from UGA RB Terrell Davis) to mitigate his mistakes.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@GtheGreek

AJ McCarron had the same 2 NCs that SB IV did. He went in the 5th round and is now in the XFL. And McCarron is taller than SB IV with a stronger arm. And unlike SB IV, McCarron ran a standard NFL pro-style offense. Indeed, the offense that McCarron ran was more "pro-style" with less spread principles than half the NFL runs these days. I have said this a ton of times: the NFL could care less about national titles. Deshaun Watson was passed up by Mitch Trubisky, whom Watson dominated in college, and Pat Mahomes who had a losing record. Jay Cutler was the #11 overall pick without ever having had a winning season at Vanderbilt. And Jacob Coker, who beat Deshaun Watson for the 2015 national title, wasn't drafted at all. Even better: of all the QBs who won titles for Saban (Matt Mauck, Greg McElroy, the aforementioned McCarron and Coker, Mac Jones), only Jones was a first round pick.

As I have mentioned a number of times on this blog, either the folks on here don't pay attention to the NFL, or you want NFL teams to treat SB IV differently than they have every other QB because he played for UGA.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Now THIS is how you write an unbiased, balanced, fact-based, well-researched column on SBIV (or any other player for that matter)... well done and thanks, Connor!

• Options

Brock Purdy's NFL evaluation: more pros than negatives but these were his negatives:

• Weaknesses:Arm-strength limitations
    • Not a running threat
    • Will struggles to avoid pass rushers
    • Short
    • Could struggle to see the field in the NFL

Even with arm strength limitations, he was plugged in and performed very well, so much for all these "evaluations". Theyare nothing more than educated guesses. I just trust what I've seen with my eyes.

SB doesn't need a rifle arm to be a success. He's got more dog in him than Will LEvis, and Ill take that and build around it. Would LEvis have won 2 NC with UGA? Possibly, but I don't think he has the 4th quarters that SB had against BAMA in the NC game or against Ohio St. in the 4th quarter of the playoff game with the game on the line. I see him wilting from the pressure. Just an opinion, everyone's welcome to theirs.

Go Dawgs!