Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football questions adding up for Kirby Smart at halfway point of spring drills

SystemSystem Posts: 10,564 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football questions adding up for Kirby Smart at halfway point of spring drills

ATHENS -- Kirby Smart does not waste words or actions, so it’s a good bet the eighth-year Georgia head coach has the Bulldogs’ anticipated Saturday scrimmage scripted to the “T.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

"Bobo won’t have the same amount of experienced skill players to work with like Monken did last season — veterans Stetson Bennett, Kenny McIntosh, Kearis Jackson, Dominick Blaylock and Darnell Washington have all moved on.".....Really Mike......So what have Beck, Milton, Edwards, Robinson, McConkey, Smith, Rosemy-Jacksaint, Lovett, Thomas, Bell, Bowers, and Delp been doing for the past 1-3 years? I've seen them all make plays all of 2022, not to mention they have all endured and developed from the toughest practices in college football. MG, you would do well to just report facts rather than attempt to create ridiculous problems.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

@GtheGreek The story doesn't say Georgia wouldn't have any experience to work with.

It points out Georgia doesn't have "the same amount of experienced skill players to work with" -- and that's fact.

Most notably, at QB and RB, where Dawgs are in overhaul mode with new signal caller and a backfield that lacks the same sort of diversity Monken has had with Cook and McIntosh elite pass catchers.

There's also no Darnell Washington, a dual-threat TE that enabled UGA to often line up with two TEs on the field -- Delp is a pass-catching talent, but he has yet to show the size and same sort of blocking prowess --UGA won't be as diverse formation-wise -- Monken had all the toys.

The numbers at QB and with RBs pass-catching efficiency are most notable.

Bennett had 980 snaps last year, entering season a sixth-year senior with a national title under his belt --- Carson Beck had 89 snaps last year, yet to start a game.

McIntosh 43 catches, 504 yards -- Edwards 14-101, Milton 5-64, Robinson 1-2

• Options
    SR_JRSR_JR Posts: 47 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would love to keep this article to show you at the end of this season.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@SR_JR

The article will be just as accurate then.

This offense has more to replace than Monken had to replace last year.

No one is saying Georgia won't win the East or SEC -- it just points out that the offense has a lot of questions to answer with a new OC, new QB, and key skill guys like McIntosh and Darnell to replace.

All of those things will be true at the end of the year-- just like last year's team had to replace 15 NFL Draft picks

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We definitely lose a talented pass catcher at RB, a Swiss army knife, can do it all, kind of guy in Kenny. I don't think we have that guy on the team currently. As far as losing Kearis and Blaylock, those guys were clutch when they were called on but we should(should) being the keyword, be able to get more production per game out of RA-RA and Dominic. Those guys were the leading pass catchers on their former teams, I believe. McConkey and Jack-Saint will be more experienced, as will Delp, and even Bowers. Granted we will no doubt miss the Big 0 when it comes to blocking.

We have a talented stable of RB's, if they can stay healthy. While we don't necessarliy have a star at RB at the moment, I believe Roderick Robinson will make his precense known at some point.

THat leaves perhaps the biggest concern at the QB position. If Beck holds true to form, I think we'll be just fine. If the apple cart gets shaken up a bit, then that means either someone else just emerges as the clear "guy" a good thing perhaps, but I do remember D'Wan getting picked over SB. And you do wonder about who made that call and the reasons why and if they are still with the program?

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike, all it’s going to take for us Dawg fans to realize that game experience matters in the SEC is another Kentucky game like last year. Rain and howling winds are the great equalizers. If I remember correctly, Blaylock was the leading receiver with only two receptions for less than 40 yards. McIntosh rushed for 140+ with a seven yard average. Edwards was the second leading rusher with barely a three yard average. 16 points doesn’t win many SEC games and it took almost 15 years of combined experience between three players, Bennett, Blaylock, and McIntosh, to pull that game out.

If Mike was guilty of anything in this article, it was stating the obvious. All it’s going to take for Mike’s take to become painfully evident is a game with some bad weather, a couple of turnovers, and a busted play or two on defense. We had proven experience that helped us overcome some situations last year. That experience has moved on.

• Options
    DawggolferDawggolfer Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

No Duce Robinson at tight end for the Dawgs. The #1 rated tight end committed to USC yesterday. Surprised nothing on this site about it.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I could not agree with you more than I do @MikeGriffith ! Bobo has a challenge on his hands. Breaking in a new QB (no matter how talented), no Washington, replacing two of the best OT’s in college football, unproven talent and lack of depth at RB…

Georgia also has a lack of experience at OLB, and has to replace Jack Podlensky at placekicker.

Do I think that Georgia can three-peat? Yes, but, as with last year, it will be a challenge! 👍

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is a lot of content on this site concerning this subject… see @JeffSentell and the DawgNation Daily podcasts. 😉

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't say I am overly surprised or disappointed at this news. Once Monken left there were questions about the UGA O that made USC/Riley/Williams a logical landing spot.

But if you remember the interviews with 2Rob it was all "we're going to explore all our options", "we want to play both baseball and football", "we like multiple programs", "we want the best fit for our skills", etc etc. I kept wondering who "we" was?

These young guys mature but it was hard to imagine that 2Rob would be a good fit for win or die, all in for the team UGA. He wasn't even all in for football or baseball. Depending on high he goes in the baseball draft he may not even play CFB.

UGA has unique locker room chemistry created by fully committed to team and teammate players. '24 TE Landon Thomas is almost as highly rated and will come in focused on being a UGA TE. He won't be coming into an overcrowded TE room.