Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia teammates share honest thoughts on Bear Alexander, what comes next for defensive line

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sometimes players want to be the big fish in a small pond. That ain’t going to happen at UGA! The only way to get into a smaller pond in college football than to go to the PAC is to go to the Group of Five.

So much is made of the stars a player has coming out of high school. Those stars are gone with the first step onto a college campus. Bear may have a big upside, but as of now, he is no more than a three star college player. Only time will tell if he develops into anything more.

Coach Scott is not “arguably” the best defensive line coach in all of college football! He develops talent like no other regardless of stars coming out of high school. Jordon Davis is proof positive! It takes white hot desire, hard work, and COMMITMENT from the player for Scott to work his magic. Obviously, those three ingredients were in short supply in regards to Alexander!! Without those ingredients, the open scholarship is more important!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nah, you guys are looking at it all backwards. Kids are either willing to compete, grow, accept coaching, give it their all... or they don't. I don't know the story with Bear, but I'm willing to bet that he was NOT the player we were looking for and so this is where the Transfer Portal is great. That toxic attitude that I'M SURE was there is gone now and Georgia is better for it. You'd rather have a 4-star out there fighting hard and giving it 110% than a 5 star that's not being a team player. There's no shortage of college DL players out there that would do anything to be on a 2X returning NC team with a Defense minded HC with the most talented assistants in the nation.

Best of luck to you. See you in the XFL.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

A shock? According to Mike Griffith, y’all said it wasn’t a shock if we had been paying attention. Make up yalls mind, lol

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

Lol...I'm not sure if Kirby said it, or said part of it, but..."This generation of kids, is 'entitled'. Finding the few...the talented, smart, well-raised, athletic individuals...who also happen to love Football and are good at it....is incredibly hard to do", once. Let alone, year-in, year-out.

I didn't have a whole lot of confidence in Bear Alexander, when he first signed. But, I gotta admit...he had me sold after last year. I thought, he was all-in. Lol...who knew. I guess he was "entitled". And, that's a bad thing, when you're trying to overcome "complacency" after a Championship.

So, it's just as well. If I was Kirby...I'd open the door and say, " does anyone else want to leave, before we start the next phase of preps for game one? There's no room for doubt, entitlement, or egos. There's not a player in this room, that doesn't need to prove and improve.".

• Options
    NY3TSCNY3TSC Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

Quit recruiting the Simmons kid. Georgia will never pony up the money he's looking for anyway. Stick to players that want to be Dawgs.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I were a betting man.....I'd bet the ranch on Mykel Williams and/or Jordan BIG BABY Hall to quickly erase the memory of the Bear....no longer will The Bear have to stay HUNGRY to keep his start but will relocate to the PAC 12 berry patch.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I love Zion’s response: “I don’t want to answer that.”

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm really hoping Cristen or Jefferson will surprise us. Of course we all know Big B and JJ will be great.

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really don't think there was tampering. I think, just an opinion, this was addition by subtraction for Kirby and the team.

I'm not banging on the kid. Sometimes guys just don't fit. The culture (and I hate the use of that word) of Georgia football is that you are always going to be recruited over, so you have to earn everything every step of the way. If you are vocal about playing time and rotating, it won't be tolerated.

He'll probably get all the playing time he wants at USC. And LA money.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But....NO RINGS! Lol...unless you actually count the PAC12 Championship as prestigious.