Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia QB Carson Beck clears air, shares why he considered transferring last year

2»

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2023

I remember how he played those first few times out, too. That's why I won't believe he was the #1 QB, going into UAB Week...until I hear it from Smart or Monkin.

And, if they did have him #1 and dropped him to #2 after a Monday practice...what could've possibly happened in 1 day that negated the "Preseason Practice Depth Chart"? It was JUST FINALIZED, 1 week prior. Almost as much time, effort and debate go into that "depth chart" as the National Budget.

If they got it that wrong after Spring Practice, Summer OTA's and Fall Camp...that's a helluva mistake. And, I just don't believe UGA's Coaching Staff makes those kind of mistakes. A "Little League Coach" could see Beck wasn't ready. Do you think he had Monkin and Smart fooled, that much, after 4 weeks of grueling football and 2 or 3 full scrimmages...which ended just 1 week prior? I don't think so. Lol

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson was asked about what happened that week with UAB in an interview with the Film Guy Network and how he went from the number 2 to get the start. He didn't deny that CB was the #1 guy but that he(SB) just had a don't care what happens attitude and that he just let it rip in practice that week and basically nailed everything and got the nod.

• Options
  • Options

In several articles @MikeGriffith wrote..."Beck was replaced" that Monday...not after a week of practice.

Also, Kirby said that Beck was the #2 QB, in an interview after the Clemson game. But, what he didn't say, was that, that was after Bennett was moved to #1.

And, that's the way ESPN reported it, the week after the UAB game. Rece Davis, if I'm not mistaken, said that after the Daniels announcement, Smart was asked who the #2 guy was. His answer was Beck. Davis went on to point out that no one asked who the #1 QB was, so it was assumed that Beck, being #2 meant that he would start against UAB...not, that Bennett was #1 and Beck was #2. But, that was the case.

Remember...Kirby "never" released a QB depth chart. Ever. Not before the Clemson game...after the CFPCG...or, anytime in between. The pecking order was and always has been, a "media speculation" that turned out to be wrong.

While I appreciate the information they provide, leading up to kickoff...some of it is solid "truth & fact"...some of it is "opinion & speculation". Sometimes I think they lose sight of the difference, and start referencing "opinion & speculation" as "truth & fact". Then...abracadabra...history is changed, just like that.

• Options

THe SB interview is very enlightening. From his perspective(his mouth and not MIke's) he was behind JT and then BEck, he wasn't even getting any reps as a one or a two until the week of UAB following JT's injury at Clemson. That week leading to the UAB game he said, he was told he and CB were going to compete to be the starter in practice that week and that he felt like he had the better week of practice. THe rest is almost history.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Consider it bulletin board material for Brock and Gunner!

Carson played the best on G-Day and, by all accounts, played really well all spring. All indications are that it's his job to lose, so long as Vandagriff doesn't turn into Superman in August (which, come to think of it, Vandagriff may be capable of).

I hope he has a Mack Jones season, competes for the Heisman and goes pro. Then, we can see what the supremely talented Brock Vandagriff can do (if not the talented Gunner Stockton.

Lot of parallels between Beck and Jones. Both are tall, strong pocket passers from Jacksonville who had to wait for a couple of years, but were bursting with talent and knowledge of the system. They even both had 186 ratings in the sophomore.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There may be a little of that "Smart psychology" going on.

But I also think he's treating QB like just about every other position that doesn't have a returning starter: He hasn't named the second CB, OLB, DT, WRs and PK because there are legit contenders in each of those positions. Same with QB.

There's no reason for him to commit to one guy before he knows who looks the best in August. And there are a lot of reasons not to commit to one guy before. That said, Beck's going to continue to get the most first-team reps until somebody else starts playing way better than him.

• Options
    edited May 2023

Lol...yeah, you're right. That just kicked the competition up a notch. Which is good. Whomever wins the job, will have an edge. The backup will be on hot standby. Competition is good for the soul.

I'm with you. No matter the number or name on the back of the jersey, I want nothing but, the best for UGA's QB. And, it probably will be just like you said.

It's been a long race and we're headed into the final Turn. Beck is in the lead by a length. Here comes Gunner on the rail....it's neck and neck...Beck in the lead by a nose....heading into the home stretch. It's Beck, Bvg, Gunner....Beck, BVG, Gunner.........stay tuned for the final results following Fall Camp.

That's how I see it. Lol

• Options

BEck would have to trip and fall down not to win the race.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Concerning Rece Davis elevation of Big Blue over The Dawgs......Well Rece, allow me to clue you in.....McCarthy is as good as he will ever be....he'll shine against the cupcakes in his conference and be mediocre against strong defenses. Georgia has three QB's that would start on any team in the SEC with maybe the exception of LSU. September 2, it doesn't matter who gets the start....IMHO it will be Carson Beck, he has more than paid his dues, learned some tough lessons, matured and perfected his skill base.... Carson will start and he will dominate but will not play the entire game. Three years experience against the BEST defenses in college football....Carson Beck is QB #1..........Rece, why you fail to realize this is unknown to me?

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta love Stetson! He's the ultimate underdog story of all time. Rudy ain't got nothing on Ol' Stet.