Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC all-time passing leader: Offenses win titles, USC could pass Georgia

Comments

• Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Murray makes good points. The team that concerned me the most going into the final week of college football last year was USC. I believed they would beat Utah and be the fourth ranked team going into the playoffs setting up a matchup with UGA. Caleb Williams gives them a chance in every game, but their line was suspect and their defense was weak. Although I'm a believer in great defense even in this age of spread out high scoring offenses, I know the best teams have to be balanced and have the ability to win games in every phase. The Ohio State game is a great example of their offense outplaying the UGA defense, but their defense let them down in the fourth quarter and with a chance to win their special teams let them down.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is he talking about Auburn or Texas? They're from the west. Maybe he's been talking to someone from USC or Aaron Murray?

Probably USC had all their good players hurt which is why they lost the Cotton Bowl, to Tulane. I have it on personal authority that Larry is worried about the Dawgs having to struggle with the Green Wave.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior

Aaron they gave up 29 points a game in a **** league. LOL Step away from the crack pipe.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Looks like Aaron himself is disagreeing with ALL the comments. 😳😁🍺🍺

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2023

The entire OSU game was all very reminiscent of the 2nd half of the NCG of 17. Refs weren't calling anything, at least on OSU. Seen our linebackers/DL being pulled by their jerseys constantly the whole game. So yeah, their offense outplayed the defense.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Love A. Murray but he’s wrong on this, Very wrong. Setting aside the fact that our Dawgs will probably have a Better Defense than last year. Look at our Offense !!

Beck will be coming in with considerably More weapons to go to than Stets had in Both Championship years !! Beck has the athletic skills to be a winner, the only thing that we don’t know yet is Beck’s Leadership abilities when under much adversity.

I’m thinking that Beck Does Have those leadership skills else he wouldn’t have been ranked as high coming out of HS. But only time will tell that story.

Williams hype reminds me of Hooker at TN., meaning wait till he faces a For Real defense like UGA !! Go Dawgs !! Oh and Kirby, Please load the bulletin board up with all this nay saying we’re seeing !! Our Dawgs want to Eat !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The down vote bandit has been on here Allot this off season 😂 !! Obviously a very jealous rival fan. Here’s one for him Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I really don't get Aaron on this. If it was all about offense, then Ohio State and Oklahoma would have owned college football. If it's all about offense, then why does Southern Cal's defense need to be a "little bit better" If it's all about offense, why didn't the 2022 Vols with their generational offense score more than 7 points until the last 4 minutes of the game against the Dawgs last year?

Can we please stop with the "IF's" when the outcome of the game is decided on the field? If, If, If. If there was no blown coverage in the Natty of 2017, we'd have three in the last 5 years. Every team has If's. Most teams also have key starters out every year. Programs like us, Bama, Ohio State, and a few others have backups who would start on most every team in the country so we can't play the "if so and so was not injured we'd have won card". Just play the game and live with the results.

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ugh. There's not really much more to say. Sure, offense wins championships... when they are better than other teams' defenses, and is backed up by a defense that is better than opposing offenses... Sure, Williams was good last year... in the PAC. Who had one of the highest quality defenses in that league last year? Utah, by whom USC was just bullied.

Man, I can't wait til next season starts and we can get back to talking about actual games and progress.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sorry, AM & USC would have a Merry Christmas in 23 but for all the "IF'S & BUTT'S"....to compare Williams to Mahomes...is a stretch, any QB that does his nails in obscene messages for his opponent doesn't have the maturity to be a leader....then combine that with a team made up of TP me first players....USC will not make the play offs. GOOOOO DUCKS!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What about 2019 LSU? They didn't need a defense and no defense on Earth was going to stop them.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I hate to admit it but he has a correct point. If all HAD went perfect for Bama and OSU, no injured receivers, etc UGA may very well have lost those games. They both lost their best offensive weapons in those games that were having great games.

But on the other hand that is football and UGA had players out too and so the "if's". But again hate to admit it, but the offenses also win championships today and you better have one, along with a good defense to win today. Just reality, like it or not.

2019 LSU was an eye-opener. I would have bet the house on that offense and asked the wife "How much money we have on hand because I want to bet it all on LSU to cover over Clemson" She thought I meant a couple hundred bucks. No, I meant every thing we could get our hands on! Because I have been watching college ball for decades and knew a sure thing when I seen it. And that was the first and ONLY sure thing. Defenses didn't matter. You were not going to stop LSU with all of their weapons and Burrow getting them the ball. 5.5 points was an easy cover in my mind.

But UGA will have one of the highest scoring offenses again, even with taking the foot off the gas pedal in the 2nd half of most games, again. Bobo has got this all day with our OL, WR's, TE's and QB's. As long as Carson or Brock do not throw INT's, UGA has a top 5 - 10 offense, at minimum, and a MUCH better defense than USC will have, even with that traitor Alexander.

Bottomline, USC COULD POSSIBLY overtake UGA, but it is not likely. And certainly, no one would bet the house on it.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Aaron, you're a DGD, but you're nuts. USC lost three games, last year, WITH Williams at qb. Who did they lose to? Utah (twice) and Tulane. Puhlease! And let's look at those losses. Utah loss #1, SC gave up 43 points. Utah loss #2, they gave up 47 points. And their bowl game, they gave up 46 points to TULANE! Aaron, football is a team sport. Williams is good, but he can't win, on his own. He might carry a team to a couple wins, where everything else goes bad. But he can't do it, for an entire season. At some point, his defense is going to have to stop SOMEONE. So you're assertion that defenses don't matter is just wrong. Ask Williams, himself who managed 40+ points in two of the three games and STILL lost. Do you think he the Trojans could have hung with Michigan? OSU? UGA? And they couldn't get past Tulane? Whatever. Defense matters, Aaron.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think Kirby has learned how to coach. Hope he's past fake punts on your own side of the field with a qb in the formation.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dawg-Nation-STOP hiding these keyboard cowards who down vote- Show their names.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Murray didn't have the benefit of a Kirby Smart or Nick Saban defense, when he played for the Dawgs. So, it's understandable, that he doesn't know..."Great Defense & Depth" win Championships.

High flying offenses like USC, Oklahoma (under Lincoln Riley), OSU, Tennessee & Alabama (of late)...look great on paper, provide a lot of entertainment, Stats...and, so on. Occasionally, they even compete for Championships. That's all fine and good...BUT....

If you want consistency...you develop a ground game and a defense...first. Then you strategically fold in your explosive passing game, which becomes far more effective, due to your "defense & ground attack" keeping the other side off balance and guessing.

It's an effective and reliable strategy for long term success...used by Belichick, Saban...and now, Smart. No one-and-dones for those guys. Can you say that for Riley, Day, Heupel, Fisher, Kiffin...or, Mark Richt...all "Offensive Minded Coaches". And all, still chasing the "Roadrunner". Lol

Aaron Murray would have no way of knowing that. He never saw a good defense...much less a "Great Defense". Well...maybe in 2012, they were "good"...but, not great.

Mike Bobo, also, never had the benefit of a great defense, with the ability to shut the other team's scoring down. He had the likes of "Willie 'Rubberband-Man' Martinez" & "Todd 'E=MC²' Grantham" for support. With Martinez...the defenders had nothing to learn. With Grantham...way too much to learn. Neither, produced a defense worthy of the talent they were afforded. IMO