Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC all-time passing leader: Offenses win titles, USC could pass Georgia

13»

Comments

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

if if’s and buts were candy and nuts….

common AM…. I thought you were smarter than that.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2023

Aaron highlights a longstanding question...

As Head Coach......Would you rather be a former great DC, looking for a great OC to "create and coach"...on the other side of the LOS...OR...would you rather be a great OC, looking for a great DC to shut down opposing offenses???

IMO...there are far more Great OC's running around than there are, great DC's. That's why, the Ryan Day's, Lincoln Riley's and Jimbo Fisher's of the world, are one-and-done'rs...or none'rs. Lol They are at the mercy of the defense...and the Defensive Coordinator "on-deck".

Any Defensive Coordinator worth his salt, is offered a Head Coaching position, in due course. Pruitt, Tucker, Venables(?), Lanning, Muschamp, Strong...and so on. Replacing one of those guys can set a Football Program back to square one...especially if the next "DC Hire" is a "miss"....<see Clemson & Bama>.

While there's no guarantee, a great DC will turn out to be a great HC...finding a compatible Offensive Coordinator is more easily facilitated due to the larger pool of "Competent" OC's, than DC's.

DC's are more valuable, IMO. I haven't seen many "Great" ones over the years. But, the ones I have seen, turned out to be awesome Head Coaches. Like my man...Erk Russell. There would be NO Dooley or '80 Natty...or, Ga Southern Football Program...without Erk. That's a fact. 😁😎

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hear the same thing about USC on a yearly basis. But yet they always seem to lose a game they shouldn't lose. Playing in a weak conference even boosts their odds, but still haven't made the CFP. yet. I'll believe it when I see it, talk is cheap.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I was so hoping UGA would play USC in last years playoff. That game would have been a TCU repeat. They got killed twice by Utah and had 1 score games against Oregon State, Arizona, Cal , UCLA and Notre Dame. They were also beaten and embarrassed by Tulane in the Cotton Bowl. Not exactly an executioner row of teams. Murray's head scratching praise is kinda weird.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 147 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Go Navy" has it right. Murray fails to properly apply his "O-wins-natties" logic to UGA in two important ways: 1) UGA's OFFENSE runs the ball the entire 4th quarter of most games as they are so far ahead. If CKS let them pad their stats and run up the score, the UGA OFFENSE would probably rate a bit higher in Murray's model and 2) Carson Beck. I have a feeling that Beck, if he stays healthy, is going to explode onto the scene and be a total revelation to the so-called pundits. He's got the talent. He's paid his dues. He's bought in and gotten his head/attitude right. With the O-line and skill position players he'll have, STFB, baby.

• Options
    edited July 2023

I have no doubt, Beck can play football...but, can he raise "his game" under pressure??? To me, that's the biggest question mark, with all 3 of the Dawgs prospective QB's. It was one of the traits that made Stetson Bennett "special"...and, Champ.

Which one of UGA's very capable quarterbacks has the intestinal fortitude to go toe-to-toe with the likes of Alabama and OSU....in the 4th quarter...and win?. Maybe, all three. But, we don't KNOW, yet.

I'm with you, though...if Beck has the poise, pocket presence and confidence to operate a Bobo style offense...and, I think he does...he will seriously fly, in 2023. And, possibly wind up being UGA's 1st Heisman winner in over 40 years.

Lol...the "Yankee Press" tends to "throw the Dawgs a bone", every 40 years or so....Sinkwich "'42...Walker '80...

Beck '23??? I'd say, 'We're a little overdue' for a Heisman Winner. But, why bother. It's a Yankee Award for their pet projects...ND, OSU, Oklahoma, Alabama, USC, UCLA, MICH, etc.. You know...the "good ole boys" of the Northern and Midwestern "Sports Media". Every now and again, they actually "get it right". Last year wasn't one of them, IMO.

Caleb Williams is talented. But, from what I observed, watching him play...he is also undisciplined. I'm not sure if it's just him...or USC's team and culture. Guess we'll find out, this year. Either way...Bennett was my Heisman Winner last year, because my opinion isn't weighed down with all the baggage and ignorance that comes with being a "Yankee Sportswriter" or "Bama Fan". Lol

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Murray just put a dent in his analysis of football persona. Great quarterback but what I see in USC is a great offense and an undisciplined and mediocre talented defense with a few sprinkles of good players here and there. Even if you fix the talent level what about the piss poor coaching?

Maybe Murray is bucking to do some B1G games and he feels he needs to throw some love that way to get on with FOX. Still love Murray the qb and dang that 2012 SECCG was the championship game that year. Who calls a friggin outpass with the time left on the clock? I hope Bobo has fixed those issues from the past. We don't need anymore heartbreakers.

As for Murray he is a DGD but his take this time is way off base.

• Options
    edited July 2023

IMO...Bobo and Richt had the "perfect play" called, going up to the LOS. Had the Bama DE NOT deflected the ball into the Freshman Receiver's hands...it would have been a back-shoulder completion in the front right corner of the endzone...game over...Georgia wins.

If the Freshman had intentionally dropped or batted the ball down...which he should have...UGA lives to run at least 1, if not 2 more plays.

But...that's not how it went down. "Bad Luck" played a much bigger part in that loss, than "bad play calling", IMO. It happens sometimes.

LOL...If "if's & but's" were "candy & nuts"....well....you get the picture. Bobo wasn't to blame for that loss. In fact, I would go as far as saying..."They wouldn't have been there in the first place...in a position to win that game with a shot at the Natty,...without Bobo.".

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of the most painful endings to a terrific team. Maybe Richt's best team. Between that and the 2nd and Forever my heart nearly gave out.

Last 2 years have been a God Send for our program. Those outside the program may not realize just how hard it was to see all our rivals win the natty. Thankful those days are over.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Remember 2008 vs Bama - Stafford, Moreno, Green, etc. Smh...I'm sorry but I'll take the LOS and the RBs