Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: Alabama flips All-American safety Peyton Woodyard from Georgia’s top-ranked class

2»

Comments

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He hadn't been on his official to Bama at that point. He was recruiting HARD for UGA so I believe his heart was in it.

His dad is from Alabama. He had a great visit there. At the end of the day, if it felt right, then it did. It's not a slight to UGA. I'm bummed he flipped but I sort of saw it coming, I was just wrong in the location as I thought he was going to stay home. Riley trotted out Troy Polamalu for his OV and it made a huge impression. Even then he said he was all up in his head about what to do. Peyton is a good kid and comes from a great family. I hope he has a great career and ends up with a few humbling games at the hands of UGA.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good luck, young man. Perhaps that will change some minds of other players, who committed, elsewhere.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He doesn't care about that. He wants those NFL dollars. If he can get them, by playing at Bama, more power to him.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm tempted to give you this one @wpony714, but my issue is I NEVER seem to hear those same sentiments about kids COMING TO Georgia. When are we going to get someone who wants to play for us because their "dad is from Georgia.? When are we going to get the kid who dreamed of wearing the Red and Black from infancy (Stetson Bennett notwithstanding; I'm talking about 5-stars with options)? When we get the kid who committed elsewhere for a year but flipped to UGA because "no one does it better?" When are we going to sign the in-state kid who decided to stay in state because he always loved his state school and wanted his parents to see him play every weekend? I know that I'm overreacting, but it just feels as if it's always UGA who gets the short end of the stick on these kinds of flips and reversals. OK, I'll be quiet now, but I wish a kid would lie about his unbreakable commitment to ANOTHER team and flip to Georgia some time. How many have we lost this year already? Woodyard? Thomas? And Bolden feels like a flip? Combine that with Haynes and Downs going to Alabama last year and it's like wow? Go Dawgs!

• Options
    wpony714wpony714 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure I can give you the examples you're looking for but players who stand out to me who resemble those attributes, are Nolan Smith, Brock Bowers, Kendall Milton, Mykel Williams, Jordan Davis to name just a few. Frazier is another. Has UGA ever had this much success in CA?

Williams is the only flip but UGA isn't for everyone. The grind is real.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m sorry but I don’t follow you at all with your comment. It’s well known that Kirby Smart is a Defensive Master. In Particular the Secondary. Kirby was one of if not The principal reasons that Bama had such great defenses during his tenure there as DC.

In recent years UGA has sent more guys to the NFL than Bama. But if I understand you right your saying his chances of going high in the NFL are Better at Bama ?? No sarcasm at you but I don’t get that at all.

And you made another criptic ( at least to me) comment. “ Pehaps that will change the minds of other players who committed elsewhere” quoting you. The Only players that I could see that would see that as a Positive and as an opportunity for them would be a player at Bama concerned he might push them out of their spot.

Course I suppose it’s possible another guy from another team would want to take his spot at UGA. But then the question would be are they At Least the same level of quality talent wise ??

No this is indeed a Loss for UGA. But I believe it’s also a loss for him. Just like with Bolden. At this moment in time I believe that Kirby Smart and his coaching staff is the Premiere place to be for players on the Defense, Especially players in the Secondary.

And I think there’s Truth in what I said, Saban is a Much older man going into his albeit gradual decline. Kirby is a young man filled with as the ole saying vim and vinegar. He’s what Saban WAS in his younger years, with Huge potential to be even better. Wait till the 2024 NFL Draft rolls around, I bet you’ll see more players from UGA in particular Defense than Bama.

I think allot of these guys are letting NIL $$$ cause them to become short sighted. Yeah it’s good money in the moment. But if it causes them to drop from being a first round pick to a fifth round pick in the NFL they will have lost a HUGE amount of $$ !! Just saying……..

• Options
    SharpdawgSharpdawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Totally understand how it “feels” that we’re always second fiddle to Bama or that UGA isn’t “good” enough and it stings even more after going 29-1 with back to back titles and will be in the mix for a third in 23. Once again a commitment is just that…a commitment. Happens in all facets of life. Until he signs he can back out…just like when you commit to a marriage. Until you get to the altar he/she can change their mind. Yes I love it just like everyone else when we get the 5 star guys and we’re sitting at number 1 in the recruiting rankings. I say it again…we’re going to be just fine. Yes it’s great to get the 4 and 5 star guys…been getting them in Athens for years but like Spurrier used to say “something happened to them once they got there.” But I absolutely love the 2 or 3 star guys who weren’t heavily recruited who made a tremendous impact on our program (i.e., McConkey, Blankenship, Stetson,etc.). Something happened to them once they got here!!! Wish the kid nothing but the best at Bama. If he feels that Bama is the best place for him then so be it. I remember when I was his age and I swayed back and forth with stuff too. Like Kirby says we won’t be hunted and we aren’t second fiddle to no one…there are more than enough kids who want to be here and be developed not only as players but as men. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Oh and just want to say this Kirby and staff have been absolutely Killing it in recruiting for pretty much ever since he became HC. We’re Gonna lose some guys along and along. It is what it is.

But with some extremely rare exceptions when these guys jump ship on UGA their only hurting themselves. Look at the number of Dawgs that have gone NFL since Kirby, especially recent years, and Most Especially players on Defense, and even More So players from the Secondary.

Unless it’s some very strong reason like Family or something, a guy jumping ship from UGA is only shooting Himself in the foot !! Look our Beloved Dawgs have a Very Real opportunity to 3peat. And I honestly believe not only 3peat but 4peat as well.

EVEN on the years when our Dawgs don’t win the Natty they will be right there knocking on the door for the next quite a number of years to come as long as Kirby Smart is HC !!

Time and Age eventually tells on ALL of us regardless of your profession. Saban is an older guy, Gradually going into decline. Kirby is a younger guy that is No Where Near his peak. NIL $$ is very appealing initially, I get that, I’d probably want all I could get to !! But the short term gratification of pretty good NIL $$$ is not worth forfeiting the long term Mega $$$ of drafting really high in the NFL.

And NO I’m not saying it’s impossible not to draft high if a guy doesn’t go to UGA. I’m simply saying if a guy wants the best coaching in All college football to Prepare for the NFL, then UGA is the place to be !!

P.S. Also sooner or later some of these schools are gonna get in Deep trouble with the NCAA regarding NIL !! It’s only a matter of time !!

• Options

Oh and finally I have Zero, Nada, Zilch, Nothing against these young guys when they flip to else where. It’s not personal to me. In Their mind they believe their making the right move. But per my last two ( sorry so lengthy) comments I Honestly believe they are stunting their growth & preparation for the NFL by doing so.

Because setting aside my Dawgs Devotion for a moment I believe UGA is the very cutting edge of coaching in college football now. Just look at what Kirby and his coaching staff have done with 3 star players ( less alone 4s &5s) on Both sides of the ball !! Georgia is a program going UP in quality.

And it’s been very clearly shown when the Team does well the individual players do well to. And reap the Benefits of the Kirby Smart “Grind” in practices !! So I just think they do themselves a disservice in the long run when they leave or choose other than UGA.

There are exceptions like family issues etc. In the end I want, Yall want, Kirby and staff wants guys that are Proud and Happy to be Dawgs and proudly wear that power G helmet !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

Story circulating that FSU is direct depositing money into a high school player's bank account. Not sure how valid the claim is ( or legit MattBeGreat is (286k subs)) but it would explain their recent recruiting success ( two 5*'s and a 4* commit in the last week or so). If true, CFB/NCAA needs to implement some rules. There is definitely some $$$ being thrown around. Latest rumor has Jaden Perlotte UGA '25 5* recruit (Buford HS) flipping to FSU.

Link is below. It is 11 minutes and doesn't name names.

https://youtu.be/QiZYMftOW8o

• Options

If this is true wouldn’t it be a severe violation of current NCAA rules already on the books ?? I honestly don’t know for sure what the current policy is.

But I’m like you if it’s not now it sure Should be !! If this turns out to be true then their literally Buying the player’s services !! I’m not necessarily against NIL, I mean it was gonna come to be sooner or later anyhow. But the NCAA and various conferences need to act Now, to put stringent policies in place before it utterly destroys CFB with corruption !!

Thx for posting this. I wouldn’t be shocked. In the end Allot of schools are gonna push the very edge of the envelope to put themselves in a Winning position. Winning at high levels we know brings in huge revenues for the school.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

IDK. I guess it would depend on who is direct depositing money into his account. I would also wonder if accepting money while in HS would jeopardize his HS eligibility? If you recall, Quinn Ewers reclassified to an earlier class so he could take NIL money.

What we have been seeing would indicate that the top players are cashing in before they are committing to a program. According to Rivals rankings, UGA just saw its #2 and #3 overall recruits/commits flip away from the program. Gonna be a rough couple of years if this stuff isn't cleaned up.

The NCAA is having the last laugh. They were forced by the gov't to open this can of worms and now it is a big mess.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2023

Winning in recruiting and winning on the field will be the true difference maker, (cough cough, aTm). Let them soak up all that money for a few months then jump ship. And the part that won't be policed and would be hard to, direct deposit into parent's accounts. Which very well could be the case with Woodyard. His daddy was a Bama fan growing up(rechecked for facts), so easier to brush it off that way. "Bama factor" on the chain, wow, can't wait until that becomes totally irrelevant. Looks like recruiting at Bama has turned into a magic show.

• Options

@UGADad20 @kylnmeg10 Well said on Both counts guys !! The only redeeming factor is that Kirby and his staff are Elite at recruiting. BUT even though they are masters at it, if teams can essentially continue to BUY players it’s gonna be mighty tough on UGA and other schools who try to stay within decent ethics in recruiting.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2023

He has now officially joined 'the hunted'. GO DAWGS!