Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Social media sounds off on Mike Bobo, Georgia offense in Week 1 win over UT-Martin

SystemSystem Posts: 10,551 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageSocial media sounds off on Mike Bobo, Georgia offense in Week 1 win over UT-Martin

ATHENS — Even after back-to-back national championships, time does not heal all wounds for Georgia fans it seems.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bobo's scheme looked just fine to me.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Somebody buy Bobo a beer....come on.

• Options
    jvillebiljvillebil Posts: 168 ✭✭✭ Junior

As fans it is our nature to be critical. I'm sure there are some some that complained why did we give up 7 points in our 65-7 win over TCU. Unless you've been an athlete and played sports it's hard sometimes to realize things just don't click 100%. We won by 41 points, I guess anything under 80 would have been a travesty.

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They don’t have to better than 559 yds of offense or 48 points, they just have to be more consistent. Those stats will win most games with this defense. That will come with time and very soon, I’m certain. Good win! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not surprising that some would immediately revert to the Georgia fanbase's second favorite pastime, blaming Bobo - which dovetails into the all-time favorite, coming up with things to panic about. Bland play calling in week one against a FCS opponent is to be expected. Anyone complaining about that is tipping their hand. There was only one moment in this game where I thought the play call could be reasonably questioned - the run with Jones up the middle on first and goal with no timeouts at the end of the half. It was arguably a bad decision, but ultimately just one play in a game that was never in doubt. Hardly anything to get worked up about at this point in the session.

The biggest issue with the offense wasn't Bobo, nor was it Beck. It seems obvious to me that it was the offensive line. A better performance from the line means a more effective run game, which means a better rhythm for the offense overall. It wasn't there, and the offense looked more pedestrian than it should have. But that's a good thing. Anyone who's been paying any attention at all knows that what we saw yesterday is not a complete or accurate reflection of the true quality of Georgia's offensive line.

As has been pointed out, the Dawgs had multiple worse performances than this last year. There's nothing wrong with winning your first game of the year by only 41 points. It's going to be ok.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree here and have it admit i was a bit concerned about the ability of the O line to run block given how pedestrian the run game looked. Having seen the interview with UTM’s head coach, it drove me to be less alarmed. He stated how they completely stacked against the run so our linemen were blocking multiple assignments at once during run plays and actually did a fine job. Passing game was isolated by UTM and it came through just fine. Some misses and it could’ve been more productive, but it is the first game and a brand new QB with a new host of receiving targets (especially with the coaches scheming to limit Bowers’ touches given he is a little banged up), and it will continue to improve and get dialed in. Great job and no need to be concerned with the score - Kirby never runs the score up and is more interested in team progress vs. score every time. Go DAWGS!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can not imagine the outright war going on between Carson's head and his stomach in the week before his debut.....you get to a point where it is impossible to remember every little thing.....it's one thing for sure, you realize what will happen if you screw up......TM, wasn't perfect but considering, it was a resounding success! Given his embrace of "Better Never Rest", the best is yet to come! The one fact that became ever clear is that we have three competitors at QB that could and would start at any program in America!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As far as a critique of Coach Bobo.....I'm thinkin that those who insist on casting dispersion on Bobo's play calling would just as soon write off The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin having only heard a few minutes of a sound check. You don't fire the Conductor of the Vienna Philharmonic for a few minutes of pre concert tuning....For Dawgs sake people, this is a NEW TEAM with RETURNING and NEW players with new skills and improved skills, Bobo and the entire coaching staff are a masters of fine tuning our team to play at an ELITE LEVEL and it will continue in every game played......ie: BETTER NEVER REST!

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior

People quick to defend Bobo miss the bigger picture. Lots of sarcasm about scorning 48 points and a heap of offense yards, but Bobo is accused of lacking. Look at the play calling. All summer long the wide receiver corps was touted. "Best in years, more depth than ever." And how many passes were thrown downfield in the first half? ONE. One pass was thrown downfield. The rest were side line passes or short passes. At one point three consecutive running plays were called up the middle netting about five yards. Bobo was famous for that in the Richt years. Three conservative plays and punt. We saw the same again last night.

Bobo has never had any imagination.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe they are consistent. We haven"t seen the final product, yet. Not even close. I'm not sure a lot of people realize...how many players got to see action, yesterday.

Kirby did...what he does best. As has been the case, since Smart arrived in Athens....he uses these games, to build "Experience & Depth"...and work on basics. He's not interested in the least, what everybody's perception of the team, happens to be, in any given week. That's what it means to, "Play to our standard and worry about us.".

By the time, the CFP gets here...they'll have 2 Offenses and 2 Defenses that can take the field without much drop-off, if any. And, they'll have a good idea of the players that will see action in '24 and which ones, will portal out. Chess...not Checkers.

I thought they looked fantastic, considering they emptied the bench and had a few key players out. Perspective! Maintain perspective. 3 starting QB's...a stable of capable backs and receivers...a barn full of O-Line bulls...Tight Ends that can catch, run and block......AND BROCK BOWERS.

What more can you possibly ask for?...perfection in every game...on every play? Is that where we are, now?. Lol...beautiful. I've been watching and playing football...a looong time...and I haven't seen perfection out of ANY team, more that a few times, in my entire life. I know that's the goal, but, it's rarely achieved.

UGA will destroy any team it faces this year. Mark my words. Once again, Kirby is going to have to find a way, to manufacture "adversity" like he did with a couple of games, last year. You watch. South Carolina is gonna be "that game", this year...that challenges the Dawgs "toughness, resilience and determination"...like the Mizzou game did in '22. There's gonna be at least one of those, in '23.

Did anybody notice that Brett Seither and Dom Blaylock had pretty good games for Ga Tech, Friday? Ga Tech is a different team...with a (too) conservative playcaller...that should've won the game against Louisville. They will get better...and, could wind up being one of "those games" for UGA.

• Options
    BigFanBigFan Posts: 148 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2023

You knew it would be plain vanilla for the offensive game plan. Wonder if CB is allowed to check out of a bad play when at the line of scrimmage? 9 in the box and a run between the tackles warrants a check out and by most accounts, CB has the knowledge and recognition to do it. Should be fun to see how that develops. I think Stetson's checks at the line made Monken look even more brilliant.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Yeah, I saw a lot of that. 8, 9 in the box. That's why the line "looked" pedestrian. But, they weren't, if you watched the line. It was a little hard for me, on a 7" screen. Lol. They'll have a replay on the SECN Tuesday...and, I intend to record it. There was a lot of good things I saw out of individual players along the offensive line.

From what I saw, most of the time, UGA was playing vanilla against a Team sold out on stopping the run. I'll guarantee you...Kirby, Searels & Bobo challenged the offensive line to ram it down their throat. What better practice, than for the offensive line to attempt to open holes in wall of players. And...they WON a lot of those battles.

I was proud of them. Wait till they face a team, that is forced to defend against Bowers, Lovett, Smith, McConkey and "The Passing Game". We haven't seen that, yet. Not really. This is one hell of an offensive line...2 or 3 deep at every position. IMO

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm not going to lie and say I didn't hope for a faster start, but there is a lot to like about this team going forward. I'd like to mention Mews here...he is going to be special. I was excited about Stetson when he jump-started the offense in the second half vs Arkansas in 2020, and Mews has that same spark. I see a lot of fireworks coming from the offense overall, and was pleased to see BVG and Gunner make some great plays. On defense, I'll be eager to see how the run defense performs against SEC rushing attacks.

• Options

I agree. It's a little premature to cast doubt or praise on the "team. At least until they play somebody (Carolina). But, I did love what I saw...so, I can't say I have any doubt.

There's tons of praise on individual efforts. Brock Bowers looked like a HS Full Back playing "Sand Lot Ball", against little leaguer's. Mews, Robinson and CJ Smith all made their '23 Mark. We'll be seeing more of those guys, as the year moves on.

It's hard to say how much of them we'll see, with the likes of McConkey and Edwards eventually returning...but, I suspect they earned a lot of playing time, Saturday....just based on Smart's post-game comments.

They asked Kirby, after the game..."Who got the Game Ball.". After some pontificating about how he doesn't have time for all that...he said, "I think I'd have to give it to Mews or CJ Smith.". That's pretty strong, coming from your HC after your 1st real game. I'm proud of all those guys.

This is gonna be fun. Lol

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All summer we have heard about the greatness of this offensive line and the Joe Moore Award ad nauseam! Then we get upset at Bobo for trying to establish dominance of the o-line over an FCS team? If anything, having runs stuffed by a sub standard opponent is a blessing in disguise. Those big guys had better put down the press clippings and get to work just to get above average in the run game. They would have been embarrassed if we had opened the season with a good D-1 opponent!

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2023

@Tom_Bomadil

Exactly my point. And the lack of imagination stems from Bobo trying to be “too cute” with his play calling, as he did time after time from 2007 to 2013. How am I supposed to believe (or any Dawg fan, really) that nothing has changed fundamentally from Monken to Bobo when there was ZERO seam routes thrown in the first 3 quarters of that game.

You have got Superman Bowers on the field along with 3 other capable receivers and not one seam route throw and catch?

Bobo ain’t it, Dawg fans. He isn’t. And friend or not, Coach Smart can’t change a grown man who is famously known for being stubborn and already set in his ways.

You do know that Mark Richt and Willie Martinez were great friends when Martinez was promoted from within to DC, right? And it took 3+ seasons and a moniker label of “free willie” to UGA’s secondary for the Board of regents to finally put pressure on Richt to fire his “friend”.

Looks like the definition of sanity, IMO.

But hey, we shall see!?

I remember as a fan being told when Schottenheimer was hired that “the offense isn’t changing, it will be the same concepts and terminology, Brian will run the same if not very similar offense”. Pffft, yeah. How did that work out?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken woud have had receivers wide open every where. I don't think that's what I saw yesterday. It looked like we had to work hard for everything we got till things got out of hand late in the game. 17- 0 at the half THat should of been the end of the 1st quarter score. Not exactly a dud, but certainly not awe inspiring at all. Felt somewhat like Mizzou, early on.

• Options
    edited September 2023

'It looked like we had to work hard for everything we got."____@reddawg1

Exactly. Don't you think that's what they "game planned", from the start? When have you ever known for Kirby to go into a game like this...with Ball St. next on the schedule...and NOT look for "coaching opportunities"?

I think...now, we see why Kirby won't allow people to watch Scrimmages. They don't know what they're looking at, and take away the wrong impression. Like observing a "painting" before it's finished.

We won't see the real UGA for at least 2 weeks....if then...IMO. Why would Kirby rush "the process", with the September schedule UGA's sittin' on? He is taking full advantage, to develop his players. Isn't that what everybody said, was the reason for...having no dropoff between '21 and '22...."Kirby develops players". That doesn't happen by running up the score on a HS Team and keeping guys on the bench.

Based on previous seasons, under Kirby...I believe the main focus of this game, was building for next year and, the year after...as well as providing valuable reps to guys that will be bench-bound after the 4th or 5th game. Those same guys may be counted on to fill injury shoes, late in the season. That's just, what Kirby does.

Are you not happy with Kirby's methods or results? Lol...now, I get why Bama would want to put their best foot forward in week 1. They have a showdown with Texas this week. UGA, on the other hand...has Ball State.

I don't know if you noticed...in fact, I only heard one person mention it...the game slowed down for Beck in the second half. He looked like different QB. He is going to light it up eventually [when they take the cuffs off and as he gets his receivers back]...and, we'll see him display a little more mobility in the pocket, going forward.

Confidence is extremely important to the QB position, as you know. It's one thing to "think you are ready"...it's another, to step behind center, under the lights and "know you are ready". I think Beck knows he's ready, now. But, we won't know...for sure...until after the Carolina Game.

BTW....Rosemy-Jacksaint will be back this Saturday. He was suspended for the UTM Game.

We just, need to be a little more patient with the schedule, this year and understand this is part of the "Kirby Process". That's what drives these things....not "Fan & Media Hype". And...I see a lot of "overreactions"...from both.

Go to work boys. Do your thang. Goooo Dawgs!