Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Amazon Prime review: The Boys

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited October 2023 in Off Topic

This one threw me for a loop a bit. It's a Superhero show, but with a very dark twist. What happens if All-American superheroes are actually bad, or at least morally compromised? Superheroes typically possess superior morality and reflect the best of society. But what happens if those super beings have a moral compass that is way off? Worse than that, what if instead of fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Way, these Supercreatures are motivated by fame and profit and are a product of a mega-corporation that literally sells their crime-fighting services to the highest bidders? It's a very interesting spin on the traditional Superhero story.

No spoilers, but I can't tell if I really like this series or not. I'm half way through season 2 (of 3) and I can't quite put my finger on why I keep watching. It is EXTREMELY violent. Like over the top brutality and carnage. For example, in one of the opening scenes the Superhero who runs at incredible speed (their version of The Flash) accidentally runs into a pedestrian on the street and vaporizes her into a pink mist. The graphics involved are pretty gross. One of the themes of the show is the collateral damage inflicted by people who can smash buildings, shoot lasers from their eyes, and crush things with their mind. Like what happens when Superman smashes a bad guy into a subway car....we never consider what happens to the people in the car, do we? Massive destruction in the pursuit of catching the evil-doer. What if a lot of that death and destruction is just a coverup of something more sinister?

From a philosophical standpoint, it's pretty interesting and I think there are clear comparisons being made between the untouchable superheroes (called supes) and the current political privileged class that go largely unchecked. Not trying to make a political statement, but if you watch you will see the parallels.

Overall, it's very interesting, sometimes very corny and campy, but enjoyable and does kind of make you think about things. I think the extremely graphic violence is very much over done and unnecessary and doesn't lend much to the story...almost like a horror show. If you have seen the commercials or TikTok clips of the show and think this is a comedy or simple action/adventure comic book series, you will be shocked. It's none of that. There are some humorous bits and some cool superhero fights, but mostly it's a very dark, disturbing and twisted take on the traditional superhero genre.

Give it a try, but watch at your own risk.

Comments