Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia line over Ole Miss smallest of year, Lane Kiffin brings random element to matchup

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia line over Ole Miss smallest of year, Lane Kiffin brings random element to matchup

ATHENS — Lane Kiffin has built a powerful team at Ole Miss, to the extent Georgia is only a 12-point favorite in the teams’ upcoming matchup, the smallest spread of the year for the Bulldogs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2023

With Bama -12 vs KY, I would say the Dawgs’ -12 against a top ten team is very telling about the two teams likely to play in the SECCG.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IF Ole Miss has a weakness it is defense. A&M scored 35 on them. Good QB in Dart. He can run. They match-up pretty well with UGA. As I wrote before, some say Ole Miss is a better version of Missouri. Cannot verify that. I do know UGA will have to knuckle fight to the end of the game! Kiffin is clever and will likely try to surprise UGA with some unorthodox schemes. He wants this game! UGA seeks revenge for 2016 loss. The war is on next Saturday. I do not see a 12 pt spread. More like 3 or 6. Ole Miss is UGA's toughest opponent. Field goals will be big in this tilt. I hope for a miracle and Brock Bowers return. Yeah, I am dreaming. UGA needs his explosiveness.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023

As a CFP security blanket, it would be great if the Utes can come away with a W against Washington this weekend.

also hoping Penn State’s Defense show out and play spoiler

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lame's antics belie a serious jealousy of Saban and Kirby's success......he failed to stick the dagger in his other nemesis Jimbo Fisher but merely **** slapping him with a 3 point missed FG win....so I predict that he'll shoot himself and his team in the foot by trying to out scheme Kirby and company.....only problem is that he does not have the talent depth much less the coaching acumen to even get close. To beat Kirby and The Dawgs, Ole Miss would have to play a flawless game, executing on an elite level every play....plus they would have to have The Mizzou intangible....Over Whelming Determination to Win/Beat Georgia!.....Not to worry Lame, after the comeuppance at Sanford you'll cruise to a total domination of Miss St and walk away with another Egg Bowl Victory!.....You'll secure forever a position of prominence among the Mount Rushmore of Mississippi's Booger Eating Morons....Hottie Tottie!

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This will be the best offense we have faced this year. We have the better defense, but our offense will have to be up to the challenge. High scoring game!! My prediction: UGA 42, Ole Miss 31

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Should be a fun game to watch. Hope this old heart can take it! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Time for all of us arm chair prognosticators to show how much we know

I believe Mizzou is a better team than Ole Miss, however the outcome may come down to field goals But somehow I’m going with an unexpected special teams play to separate the winner. Go Dawgs. 36-30

the dawgs have not covered many of the spreads this year and this will be similar.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

It wouldn't hurt if Mizzou takes out the vols earlier in the day. It seems like the offense was a little tight at times vs Mizzou with so much on the line, and if the east is clinched at kickoff, hopefully the Dawgs can let loose vs Ole Miss.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t h a t e anybody, but I greatly dislike Lame Kiffin. He’s in the same realm as Spurrier to me with his obnoxious brand of humor. That said he does deserve credit for his success at Ole Miss. He and his team will be a formidable challenge.

With the exception of losing a very important player in JDJ, hopefully the Mizzou game served as a learning tool, as they and Ole Miss share some similarities. Would’ve been nice if Mizzou & Ole Miss had played each other prior to Ole Miss playing us as we could thus get a comparison.

I sure Hope we will be getting some guys back, And some that have been dinged back at 100%. Our Dawgs need all hands on deck as they run these final games of regular season. Playing at Night in Sanford Stadium will have Dawgs fans really amped up and that energy should flow to the team.

One Very Important thing, VERY Important, Officiating !! I sure Hope that this game has Experienced, Fair, High Quality, Impartial Refs for the sake of Both teams !! I say Both teams as I went to an alternate site and read Numerous Mizzou fans said the Refs GAVE the game to UGA. Of course that’s Not True. But I don’t like even the Perception of that. As a Dawgs fan I feel our Dawgs were cheated several, several times !! But I like “Clean” wins where there’s no doubt by Either team. I’ll have to say that was one of the Sorriest officiating crews I’ve seen in a long time !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ALA vs KTY...and, TEN vs MIZ will be a couple of interesting matchups, this week.

I notice a slight rumbling in the Force...regarding Kirby Smart, and National CFB Coach of the Year. Voices are starting to rise around the "sports world". Good job, Mike!

Ole Miss is the scariest Team UGA's faced, since OSU, last year....IMO.

It depends on which Jackson Dart shows up, in Athens...and, which UGA Defense meets em. That kid can drop it in a bucket from 30-40 yds out.

Meaning...it won't matter how well covered their receivers are, if he "has time" to set and throw. UGA "Must" apply pressure, jam the WR's and jump the short routes...expecting the ball to come out early. He's also deadly in the timing routes...which is what makes him dangerous...IMO.

Go get em you hairy Dawgs! This is going to require your "A" Game. Give it to em!

• Options

Yep. Our own Offense are gonna have to bring their A game as well as our Defense. Some fans won’t like to hear this, but our Run game needs to be ramped up and be the Best it’s been in order to set up the Pass game.

MOST fans here understand that, but we have Some who think we should only run the ball once per half Lol !!

But seriously Dawgs do need to be able to run the ball more effectively. Do That and it will open up more opportunities for the pass Including the deep throws everyone loves !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    edited November 2023

"MOST fans here understand that, but we have Some who think we should only run the ball once per half Lol !!"____Navydawg

Lol...you're right..they're fans and they mean well...but, don't know any better. Reminds me of having to explain to my Grandmother, why it just appeared that the runner was "running into the crowd of players and not around em". Lmao

The run sets up the pass...sets up the run...sets up the pass...and so on. UGA plays a complete game, with a complete team.

Occasionally the other team will stop what you're trying to do...run, pass, whatever. Most teams are stymied when that happens. UGA...just falls back on plan B...or plan C. The Dawgs aren't limited in style or explosive skilled athletes.

If you want to see a lot of gunslingin' with the football against a dummy-defense...tune into the other Conferences. If you want to see how football was meant to be played...watch the SEC or some of the Mid-North western teams like Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota...etc..

• Options

Well said As Usual my Bro. !! You Can’t run a Pac12 Offense in the SEC and win on a Consistent basis. Now some might say OK what about Ole Miss they pass the ball Allot ? True but their QB also Runs the ball allot. Plus they have RBs that run the ball Enough to make it complimentary to their pass attack.

Ole Miss is definitely NOT a stereotypical Pac12 like team. Plus Ole Miss Defense is probably on par with the very best Pac12 defenses. So that’s not a legit comparison.

In the SEC you Have to be able to do both run and pass in order to defeat SEC defenses on a Consistent basis. Again Most fans get that. But there are a few that think the Dawgs should try to mimic Pac12 teams by airing it out deep nearly every play !!

Sorry won’t work vs SEC level CBs and Safeties, not to mention SEC level defensive fronts don’t usually give enough Time for the QBs to set those plays up That frequently. Lol I went to the @BigDawg61 school of football recently !! 😂

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't heard anyone on here arguing running the ball once per half or throwing every down or making UGA be a Pac-12 team. -LOL!

Now if you're referring to anything I've written, I'll be glad to discuss it with you. Just copy my post and let's talk.

Anything else where I'm concerned is just knocking over a strawman. Don't put words in my mouth, just quote me and tell me where you disagree. Let's be civil and have a rational discussion or just skip over my posts. Don't be shy!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2023

I up voted you're post after reading just the first line. I do hate Steve Spurrier; he was a pox on college football. I remember the days when SEC coaches wouldn't run up the score on hapless opponents. Spurrier change that and lowered the conference to the level of the big ten and now it's about embarrassing a team rather than just winning the game.

Edit: I really don't like Lane Kiffin either. Something just doesn't seem right about him.

• Options
    edited November 2023

IMO...The Dawgs could and should take a few more deep shots than they have been...even if it's over the head of everybody. Just, let em know, you're not scared to air it out. Keeps em honest and backs em off the LOS.

Lol...but, NOT necessarily, every series. It's a fine line to walk. And considering, Beck is a rookie...I think it wise to bring that part of the game along slowly...Which, Bobo has been doing. He'll probably start picking up the pace, on the downfield throws...as we head into the CFP Period.

Just an opinion. Lol...not a school. I don't take it THAT serious. I was wrong last week, about Kirby opening the flood gates on Ole Miss. Now, with all the injuries...I'll be happy with "A Win", this week. And...they WILL win! It may not be purty...but, they'll win it by any means necessary.

I expect a heavy ground game against Ole Miss...after a fast start and 2 or 3 quick scores (by mid-2nd qtr). Kirby will want to work the clock and rely on his defense. I know he doesn't want to get into a "track meet" game with Lane Kiffin. Or....maybe, he does. We'll see. Lol

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 941 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beating Ole Piss and Lame kiffin....knocking them out of contention for the west, will be almost as satisfying as beating Saban and Bama for the SEC Crown. Carson is a much better QB than Dart and for that matter Cook and his three receivers were much better than anything Ole Piss will present. Our receiver room is second to LSU by only a few yards and as I've claimed, Mizzou's Schrader is the best RB that we will see all year....Our RB's would like wise be just as good provided we added a little variety to our run plays....I'm longing for more jet sweeps....I know we have runners faster than Brock....maybe not as physical but faster.

• Options

IMO...It's not about variety...it's about execution. You can run the most vanilla running plays...and, still move the ball, if it's executed properly. However...it's a little tougher for 5 guys to account for 6 to 8 defenders, than 3 or 4.

That's why you have to throw the ball downfield and on the perimeter with various screens and swing passes or pitches. You want to keep the LOS as clean as possible to improve your chances of busting one, up the middle...when you DO decide to employ the ground game.

I think ole Bobo's been doin' a great job, considering...he's working with a "new" QB, with multiple injuries at the skill positions and along the o-line. You can only get "so-cute"...without sacrificing "ball security".

Slow and steady wins the race, this year...IMO. There are a lot of good teams...but, only one "possibly great" team...and, that's UGA...[although, Oregon has been looking great, too, lately].

We haven't seen the Dawgs take the field with a full compliment of healthy players, all year long. That impacts the playbook, as much as anything. They've been getting-by and building depth and experience for the late-season CFP run. And, looking pretty dang good "doin' it", too. That's why I know we haven't seen what this team can do with it's "A" game, yet.