Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia linebacker Jamon Dumas-Johnson expected to enter transfer portal

2»

Comments

• Options
    Firedog1467Firedog1467 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Hello Bulldog Nation The linebackers coach needs to be replaced immediately. The team has lost to many players at that position. I hope Kirby makes some adjustments to the staff. Go Dawgs

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

Don't understand why good players with playing time transfer. With NIL $$$ and the transfer portal, the entire NCAA FB is basically becoming an NFL farm league.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As this revolving door of guys plays out, the challenge for Kirby and the "culture " he wants to embed in the Dawg's program will be daunting. There is no easy way to form cohesion out of chaos. Guys come from other programs and bring their own attitudes, tendencies, and routines from previous teams with them. That's probably why Kirby has been so selective in the portal. We've already seen that not every player works out and contributes as hoped.

Roll the dice, deal the cards, and try to get a winning hand. That will be the challenge every season for every football program from now on. And with the 12-team playoff and tougher regular season, everything just got harder.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA has a long list of Middle linebackers in the League. NOt sure what Pops is thinking unless he just doesn't see himself being able to hiold off the young studs behind him. Can't imagine we couldn't match an offer from some other school, but honestly I have no idea what is taking place behind closed doors.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Don’t let the screen door hit ….

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Obviously, we had more “character issues” than most of us thought. Transferring is basically telling your former team I don’t really care about you guys or your program. The so-called “brotherhood” doesn’t mean much to these guys. Defend ‘em all you want, I ain’t listening.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MontanaDawg Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

7:24AM

"As this revolving door of guys plays out, the challenge for Kirby and the "culture " he wants to embed in the Dawg's program will be daunting"

Montana, no truer words were ever stated.....The DAWG Culture requires a paramount commitment......To be a Dawg and to become a DGD, you must WANT IT! If that desire is not first and foremost everyday, I say best wishes and good luck elsewhere....Thank Goodness, Kirby and company are not only up for the challenge but will come out victorious! Unfortunately, out of our current 15 portal participants, I see about 80% that are facing a mountain of regret....the grass ain't always greener!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

IMO...It's always been an NFL/CFL "Farm League". Just that...now, it's official, with actual "income" tied to it...vice payola. Lol...the "income" is just as transparent as the "payola....which makes it a "problem".

• Options

Keep this in mind, when considering transfer talent...UGA has had as much failure as success out of the portal, IMO.

Tykee Smith was 1st Team All-ACC DB, when he transferred to UGA 2 years ['21] ago, along with Derion Kendrick. He just broke into the defensive lineup as a reliable "starter".

Erik Gilbert [former 5*], former LSU All-SEC Freshman TE, spent a couple of seasons in Athens and only saw the field a couple of times,, before giving up football, altogether.

JT Daniels [former 5*] QB extraordinaire from USC only managed to "start" a half dozen games [losing none] in 2 years, before transferring twice more, and retiring from football.

Lovett and Thomas are poised to have big years, in 2024...if they return.

There are others...but, you get the gist. UGA has a tough, talented, deep, disciplined, football team. Making an impact at UGA is no easy task, for a Junior...much less a Freshman. UGA had Freshmen all over the field in the SECCG.

IMO...you can't project next year's strength, without acknowledging all the young talent coming back...and coming in, like Conner did. The Dawgs are gonna be The Dawgs...in '24. Just like they always have been. The sky don't fall in Athens...it just sags every now and then. Next year...the roof'll be solid & sound.

Kirby ain't goin' no where. That's ALL that matters.

• Options

Personally, I think "fans" and media are overreacting to the impact of these transfers and how they came about.

IMO...these guys discuss this stuff, as a team, throughout the year. I don't believe JDJ's transfer was a surprise...to the team.

Who's gonna go?...Who's gonna stay and protect the team and legacy.?...Who can use a "fresh start". Who's got the most to lose, by staying...etc.. The main thing, is to keep only as many "team leaders" as necessary, to make room for new team leaders....CJ Allen is one of those, IMO.

With all the resources available to him...I believe Kirby knew who was leaving, when and why they were leaving...and which players were gonna step up to take over...before this season even started.

Staying "ahead of the problem", is part of being "a CEO" or "roster manager". And, it also explains, some of the unexpected [to me] young players we saw on the field, over the last season...for significant amounts of time.

Just about the whole 2023 signing class, amassed significant experience, this year. Key word there, is "significant". Kirby has always allowed the puppies to get our of the box and play. This year...He HAD to do it at a higher frequency, out of necessity...due to injuries. THAT benefited the '24 team...but, cost the '23 team a Natty.

UGA's Defense should be pretty close to "set", for the '24 season, with the talented, experienced, leadership of the So's & Jr's coming back...[not to mention possible portal additions and #1 recruiting class]. Maybe a tweak here or there...but for the most part...you gotta be happy with what UGA will have on the defensive side of the ball in 2024.

Kirby's lookin' at the '25, '26 & '27 classes, right now. Lol